Sponsored

Will probably switch back to BMW. (No, not a troll!)

volsfan0911

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
I was seriously thinking about the new G20 platform M340i when it hits the US in 2019. Then found out it's probably auto only (which kills the deal immediately for me) along with production scheduled to move to Mexico. Makes it very hard to do Euro Delivery that way. So ordering a '18 GT PP and going to enjoy a V-8 mit manual transmission as the Almighty intended while you can still get both of those!
Sponsored

wjones14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE; Sold: 2005 Mustang GT
So we drove BMWs from 2005 to 2011, first a 330is with their Performance Package and then a 2008 M3. When the Coyote came out, we test drove, and were so impressed we switched to Mustangs. At that time a similarly optioned and powered Mustang was $20k less than an M3. We've been Mustang enthusiasts ever since, and have custom ordered three. (And we've owned four, the first was not a custom.)

Presently own a 2015 Fastback GT PP and a 2016 Convertible GT PP. Love them, but...

Price out a loaded 2018 Convertible GT PP and then price out a loaded 2018 M240i Convertible. The BMW is only about $2k more.

The BMW is less powerful ... but is lighter, smaller, better built, has greater resale, and ... is a BMW. The Mustang is a Ford. (A Mustang, yes, but still a Ford.)

Anyone have thoughts on this. (Other than to suggest that I'm a troll, which I'm not, or to say something derogatory about San Francisco?)
Sorry about being late to the party but...

In 1992 I bought my first Mustang, a 1987 GT 5-speed. Loved that one so much that 6 years later I replaced it with a 1995 GT 5-speed. Kept that one for 7 years and ordered a new S197 2005 GT at the end of 2004. Kept that one for 10 years, and it was the best car I ever owned. Loved it. It was my daily driver until I bought a Mini to use as a beater in 2013. Never once had a problem with the Mustang, not even a small issue.

In 2015, I wanted a new car. I cross-shopped the S550 2015 GT with a 2015 BMW M235i. Both 6-speed manuals. After a lot of going back and forth, I ended up with the BMW.

The overall quality of the BMW was the major factor. The M235i is no slouch either. I took the Mustang to an HPDE track day every year since 2007, including a few at Lime Rock Park. My best lap at LRP in the Mustang was just over 1:10. I took the M235i there this past August and did a 1:07 lap. I'm probably a better driver now than when I went with the Mustang, and the Mustang did have all season tires while the BMW had Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Nonetheless, I am quite pleased with the BMW's performance on a track.

But now, after almost 3 years of owning the BMW, I want to go back to either a Mustang GT or Camaro SS. I miss the non-turbo V8. Plus the BMW is more luxury than sport, and I want it the other way round. Even with the M Performance Exhaust on the M235i, it doesn't sound anywhere near as badass as a 6th gen GT or SS.

I'm waiting to see how the 2018 GT PP level 2 stacks up against the 2018 2SS 1LE. And then in the spring I'll be ready to sell the BMW and move back into a proper V8.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
So we drove BMWs from 2005 to 2011, first a 330is with their Performance Package and then a 2008 M3. When the Coyote came out, we test drove, and were so impressed we switched to Mustangs. At that time a similarly optioned and powered Mustang was $20k less than an M3. We've been Mustang enthusiasts ever since, and have custom ordered three. (And we've owned four, the first was not a custom.)

Presently own a 2015 Fastback GT PP and a 2016 Convertible GT PP. Love them, but...

Price out a loaded 2018 Convertible GT PP and then price out a loaded 2018 M240i Convertible. The BMW is only about $2k more.

The BMW is less powerful ... but is lighter, smaller, better built, has greater resale, and ... is a BMW. The Mustang is a Ford. (A Mustang, yes, but still a Ford.)

Anyone have thoughts on this. (Other than to suggest that I'm a troll, which I'm not, or to say something derogatory about San Francisco?)
if you keep changing cars this frequently - before warranty expires - just buy what you like more.

I preffer to buy cars for longterm. My experience of 6 years plus bmw ownership was financially horrible.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
You have a 2015 and 2016 Mustang and you're ready to switch already? J#sus, your cars are practically new!
There are plenty of M4s/M3s in my neighborhood. The new 6 cylinder versions sound lame. You can put any exhaust in the world on them (many here do).Then they just sound loud and horrible. Like laughably lame.
I picked my '15 GT used with barely any miles and tons of mods for probably half of what a 240i vert goes for anyway. But I need the V8 rumble. The BMW wouldn't do it for me on sound alone.

Sponsored

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
BMW declined warranty on my wife's clutch @ 1500km and an airbag malfunction twice in the first year. They only offered to pay 50% at 10,000km when the engine decided it was done. That was roughly $6k out of her own pocket in the first year... but free oil changes! In contrast, I beat my Mustang to shit on the track and the street all while Ford replaces parts with a smile on their face followed by an apology. Needless to say, my wife switched to Ford after owning two German lemons.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
we picked up a 2007 mini in good condition for $500 because the family was just trying to get rid of it. with 50k on it a shit ton needed to be replaced. Infamous timing chain issue, belts, water pump, spark plugs, a "warped" valve cover, turbo hoses etc etc. It came out to be over $4K to get it right. my 2007 mustang gt only ever had issues with the alternator and the mini has so many more noises inside.

I know mini isnt a direct bmw badge but it has steered me away form anything beemer.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
I know mini isnt a direct bmw badge but it has steered me away form anything beemer.
Agreed. I loved my MINI but I won't own a BMW product again without paid maintenance, never mind warranty coverage. Of course the economics of getting paid off before maintenance runs out (or rolling that cost in) makes it unlikely.

One of their lease deals may work but they don't often have anything worthwhile on the lot that would be covered.

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
And you've just described why I'll probably never own a BMW. Residuals are awful and the maintenance is too once the warranty goes.
Maintenance is fine if you can turn a wrench. Do some preventative maintenance on the cooling systems and your fine. I had an e46 3 series and now have an e60 530xi. Use it as my daily, and keep the stang for weekends :headbang:

div2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M235i
Maintenance is fine if you can turn a wrench. Do some preventative maintenance on the cooling systems and your fine. I had an e46 3 series and now have an e60 530xi. Use it as my daily, and keep the stang for weekends :headbang:
That's been my experience, having owned BMWs since 1983. My M235i has been my HPDE instructor car for two years with absolutely no issues. Ditto for the E36/5 that saw the track from 1996-2012. That said, I'm interested in the 2018 Bullitt; that or the M2 Competition will be my next DD.
Also,
Beemers= BMW Motorrad
Bimmers= BMW Automobiles

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I've had two E46s (still have one) and they are pretty easy to work on. I sold one at 195K. Minor problems that may be thousands at the stealer can often be done in a couple hours for a few hundred. That being said, I'm not sure the newer models will hold up as well. So much is locked down, needing BMW proprietary software (or Lithuanian copies) to code basic chassis modules (like a new battery).

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
"Preventative" maintenance means preventative part replacement... when I sold my e90 @ ~70k miles it was on it's 3rd electric waterpump and thermostat.

You'll be fine with Yugo if you preventatively replace parts.

Last edited:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Sorry about being late to the party but...

In 1992 I bought my first Mustang, a 1987 GT 5-speed. Loved that one so much that 6 years later I replaced it with a 1995 GT 5-speed. Kept that one for 7 years and ordered a new S197 2005 GT at the end of 2004. Kept that one for 10 years, and it was the best car I ever owned. Loved it. It was my daily driver until I bought a Mini to use as a beater in 2013. Never once had a problem with the Mustang, not even a small issue.

In 2015, I wanted a new car. I cross-shopped the S550 2015 GT with a 2015 BMW M235i. Both 6-speed manuals. After a lot of going back and forth, I ended up with the BMW.

The overall quality of the BMW was the major factor. The M235i is no slouch either. I took the Mustang to an HPDE track day every year since 2007, including a few at Lime Rock Park. My best lap at LRP in the Mustang was just over 1:10. I took the M235i there this past August and did a 1:07 lap. I'm probably a better driver now than when I went with the Mustang, and the Mustang did have all season tires while the BMW had Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Nonetheless, I am quite pleased with the BMW's performance on a track.

But now, after almost 3 years of owning the BMW, I want to go back to either a Mustang GT or Camaro SS. I miss the non-turbo V8. Plus the BMW is more luxury than sport, and I want it the other way round. Even with the M Performance Exhaust on the M235i, it doesn't sound anywhere near as badass as a 6th gen GT or SS.

I'm waiting to see how the 2018 GT PP level 2 stacks up against the 2018 2SS 1LE. And then in the spring I'll be ready to sell the BMW and move back into a proper V8.
Wait for 2018 PP2 vs 2018 1SS 1LE (assuming performance trumps looks)

My shortlist:
M2 performance version with factory KW suspension is very impressive
2018 PP2
2018 GT350R
2018 1SS 1LE
2017 ZL1 1LE (currently 12-16k discount bitchslaps GT350R pricing)
2018 Grand Sport
2018 Z07
SL-C road course build

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
BMW declined warranty on my wife's clutch @ 1500km and an airbag malfunction twice in the first year. They only offered to pay 50% at 10,000km when the engine decided it was done. That was roughly $6k out of her own pocket in the first year... but free oil changes! In contrast, I beat my Mustang to shit on the track and the street all while Ford replaces parts with a smile on their face followed by an apology. Needless to say, my wife switched to Ford after owning two German lemons.
To give bmw credit, they reimbursed me 70% of engine replacement when it died out of warranty.

Mini Cooper didn't cost me that much, but only because I got rid of it at the right time.

Never again. And at the dealership they make big deal of the fact that free coffe is provided in the morning. Well, Honda provides coffee all day long as well as cookies and does not make any deal at all out of it.