Sponsored

My evaporator hasn't failed yet but... HELP

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium
Hi everyone,

Well I had my first major problem with my 2015 Mustang gt built in jan/2015. The cooling fan stays on all the time and the started making a whirring noise. I was hoping it was the common evaporator issue, but my dealer told me my compressor needs to be replaced and is on order. I have no idea why that went out on a new car with only 15,000 miles. But now I have less than 3 months of warranty left and the evaporator is a potential issue. It hasn't gone out, and the dealer said that it wasn't leaking or anything. So it doesn't have any signs of failure yet. I know there are many threads on this issue on the forum, but would you say it will eventually go out? It seems like high rate? But some have had just their compressor's go out. Is the compressor a new part number? I live in the NW and don't use my ac often, so no wonder the evaporator hasn't gone out yet. Have others bought the extended warranty because of this issue? Any advice would be helpful. I love the car, but this future issue has me paranoid and not getting a good nights sleep.
Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Are you talking about this noise?
[ame]

If so, the sound is most likely due to low freon. My compressor starting making that whine, then about 2 weeks later while I was waiting on my appointment to get it checked out out the driver's side starting blowing warmer than the passenger side. Got diagnosed with leaking evaporator and bad compressor. I'd try to get them to do a vacuum test to check for leaks. Pretty much a 100% certainty you have a leaky evaporator.

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
I just extended the warranty on my 15 to 7 years and 60K miles for a little over $700. That's half the cost of an evaporator replacement for that very reason.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Hi everyone,

Well I had my first major problem with my 2015 Mustang gt built in jan/2015. The cooling fan stays on all the time and the started making a whirring noise. I was hoping it was the common evaporator issue, but my dealer told me my compressor needs to be replaced and is on order. I have no idea why that went out on a new car with only 15,000 miles. But now I have less than 3 months of warranty left and the evaporator is a potential issue. It hasn't gone out, and the dealer said that it wasn't leaking or anything. So it doesn't have any signs of failure yet. I know there are many threads on this issue on the forum, but would you say it will eventually go out? It seems like high rate? But some have had just their compressor's go out. Is the compressor a new part number? I live in the NW and don't use my ac often, so no wonder the evaporator hasn't gone out yet. Have others bought the extended warranty because of this issue? Any advice would be helpful. I love the car, but this future issue has me paranoid and not getting a good nights sleep.
An evaporator is either defective or it's not. It's a simple heat exchanger; they don't magically develop a defect after 3 years and fail. If it was defective, it would have had a leak by now.

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I just extended the warranty on my 15 to 7 years and 60K miles for a little over $700. That's half the cost of an evaporator replacement for that very reason.
if ford didn't build a POS this wouldn't be needed. Really how long till there is a class action over the AC?

Sponsored

OP
OP

mustangenthusiast25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang Gt Premium
Are you talking about this noise?

If so, the sound is most likely due to low freon. My compressor starting making that whine, then about 2 weeks later while I was waiting on my appointment to get it checked out out the driver's side starting blowing warmer than the passenger side. Got diagnosed with leaking evaporator and bad compressor. I'd try to get them to do a vacuum test to check for leaks. Pretty much a 100% certainty you have a leaky evaporator.
Yes it's the same exact noise I had. I heard and it got louder as the rpms increased. I stopped using the ac afterwards and took it to the dealer. They said it's just the compressor and they checked the evaporator for leaks underneath the car and didn't find any. I have noticed a not normal smell when I turn on the ac in the summer a few times, and I suspect my bottom drivers side vent is blowing less warm air than the right floor drivers side. So maybe I'll make sure that they have checked the evaporator like you mentioned?

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
That sucks man. I feel your pain since I'm dealing with the same thing right now. Same noise and everything. I was 1 lb low on freon when they evacuated the system. Failed a vacuum test. Refilled with system with UV dye and saw a leak from the evaporator.

I'm willing to bet you're low on freon due to a leak somewhere. At a minimum, they should do the same as they did with my car to find the source. It's easy for them to say it's the compressor because of the noise, but the noise is due to a lower amount of freon than factory in the system.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
An evaporator is either defective or it's not. It's a simple heat exchanger; they don't magically develop a defect after 3 years and fail. If it was defective, it would have had a leak by now.[/QUOTE

I think you are splitting hairs here... A defect in design may not show up immediately, but rather take time to manifest itself. It seems like the evaporator problems many seem to be having with this car are due to a design defect causing corrosion or metal fatigue which results in a failed evaporator after a period of time.......

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
I am in the same situation. Warranty’s gone in March 18, I have 19,000 miles and AC works fine today. It’s cold here till spring so chance I will run AC or drive car with summer tires is low....don’t want to shell out a couple grand on AC on a almost showroom condition lightly driven car....

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Hi Wymike

That is a great price for the warranty. What does it cover? Is it from Ford. Please send me some details as my warranty is running out soon.

thanks

CVCashmere

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
Cv, I got a Ford Extracare extended warranty. I went with $50 deductible to keep the cost down. It covers drivetrain, air conditioning and electronics. There is a basic level and a premium level. The extra level is in the middle. All of them cover the air conditioning, but for a few dollars more, the extra care covers electronics.
Search Flood Ford ESP. I got it because it is less than half the price of an evaporator failure. My Ford dealer couldn't come close to the price. Yes, it's valid, I had my dealer check the Ford system after I bought it.
Sponsored