Sponsored

Upgrading V6 Swaybars

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I've searched for quite a while and can't seem to find an answer. If I somehow missed it I apologize.

Anyway, looking at beefing up the suspension a bit on my '17 V6. Figured (like I've done with many other project cars, just not Mustangs) that I could possibly upgrade front and rear swaybars from a higher end model than my base V6 - like a GT.

Well, turns out - at least according to the Ford Parts Catalog - that the V6 car uses the same front swaybar as the GT w/o the Performance Package. They both share FR3Z-5482-A - haven't measure mine yet, but what info I can find points to 32mm.

From what info I've found searching the forums, the Performance Package front swaybar is actually a different PT# than the base GT / V6 bar, but it's the same diameter.

The base GT DOES get a different PT# REAR swaybar from the V6 car : V6 gets FR3Z-5A772-A (non PP EB, 3.7).

GT w/o PP gets FR3Z-5A772-B
PP gets FR3Z-5A772-C

Now - the '17 V6 car suffers from a bit of understeer, which is normal for a stock, non HP car. I really want to beef up the rear bar a bit to see if I can get rid of some of the understeer. I can get a brand new rear OEM bar with new bushings for @ $70 shipped.

Can anyone with a Performance Pack equipped confirm their rear swaybar diameter?

Can anyone with a GT w/o PP confirm their rear bar diameter?

They are different part numbers if that helps.

Looking at springs next, but really don't want to lower the car. MY driveway is steep enough I have to make an effort not to scrape now.
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I've searched for quite a while and can't seem to find an answer. If I somehow missed it I apologize.

Anyway, looking at beefing up the suspension a bit on my '17 V6. Figured (like I've done with many other project cars, just not Mustangs) that I could possibly upgrade front and rear swaybars from a higher end model than my base V6 - like a GT.

Well, turns out - at least according to the Ford Parts Catalog - that the V6 car uses the same front swaybar as the GT w/o the Performance Package. They both share FR3Z-5482-A - haven't measure mine yet, but what info I can find points to 32mm.

From what info I've found searching the forums, the Performance Package front swaybar is actually a different PT# than the base GT / V6 bar, but it's the same diameter.

The base GT DOES get a different PT# REAR swaybar from the V6 car : V6 gets FR3Z-5A772-A (non PP EB, 3.7).

GT w/o PP gets FR3Z-5A772-B
PP gets FR3Z-5A772-C

Now - the '17 V6 car suffers from a bit of understeer, which is normal for a stock, non HP car. I really want to beef up the rear bar a bit to see if I can get rid of some of the understeer. I can get a brand new rear OEM bar with new bushings for @ $70 shipped.

Can anyone with a Performance Pack equipped confirm their rear swaybar diameter?

Can anyone with a GT w/o PP confirm their rear bar diameter?

They are different part numbers if that helps.

Looking at springs next, but really don't want to lower the car. MY driveway is steep enough I have to make an effort not to scrape now.
I have a non-PP GT, a lot of the GT350/R stuff fits our Mustangs and much of it is very reasonably priced. I haven't done sway bars yet but have been considering either BMR, which are nice because they are adjustable, or the GT350R bars. I'll try to measure my standard GT sway bar later today. As for springs, the GT350R springs are really great if you don't want to lower the car much, but want to improve performance and looks. They only lower the car about .6" front and .5" rear, which gives me no issues with scraping, something I needed since I daily drive the car. You will need to upgrade your shocks with those springs though, I went Koni adjustables. If you don't want to upgrade your shocks, you can look into BMR's 082/089 springs which are a minimal drop and will work with factory shocks. I believe Steeda also has a minimal drop model.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Can't answer those questions, but I know some guys with the PP still feel the need to upgrade their swaybars so you may want to skip that step and jump straight to aftermarket options such as those from Steeda.

For springs, look at BMR's offerings because they have some minimal drop springs and those are reported to pair very well with the PP shocks/struts if you upgrade those at the same time.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I have a non-PP GT, a lot of the GT350/R stuff fits our Mustangs and much of it is very reasonably priced. I haven't done sway bars yet but have been considering either BMR, which are nice because they are adjustable, or the GT350R bars. I'll try to measure my standard GT sway bar later today. As for springs, the GT350R springs are really great if you don't want to lower the car much, but want to improve performance and looks. They only lower the car about .6" front and .5" rear, which gives me no issues with scraping, something I needed since I daily drive the car. You will need to upgrade your shocks with those springs though, I went Koni adjustables. If you don't want to upgrade your shocks, you can look into BMR's 082/089 springs which are a minimal drop and will work with factory shocks. I believe Steeda also has a minimal drop model.
I will take a look at the GT350R springs. Much of a drop at all for me right now would make going up and down my driveway interesting. Might have to fill the bottom slop with some Quikcrete :D

I will be looking toward upgrading struts / shocks soon as well.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Can't answer those questions, but I know some guys with the PP still feel the need to upgrade their swaybars so you may want to skip that step and jump straight to aftermarket options such as those from Steeda.

For springs, look at BMR's offerings because they have some minimal drop springs and those are reported to pair very well with the PP shocks/struts if you upgrade those at the same time.
Not trying to come off wrong, but a lot of people (ALL makes and models) who get the mod bug, they end up upgrading swaybars and not really knowing why they are doing it and what it can actually effect. If guys are autocrossing or tracking - that's one thing...but upgrading swaybars isn't always a good thing for handling.

The designed understeer in my '17 V6 isn't horrible. I've driven much worse. I just prefer the car more neutral, if not with a bit of oversteer. I grew up racing dirt track, so having the rear step out doesn't bother me as long as it's predictable and not sudden.

Not to mention that really stiffening up the swaybars can kill ride quality. I'm 45 - I've had full blown project cars where I sacrificed ride quality for handling and I'm not going there on this car.

Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not trying to come off wrong, but a lot of people (ALL makes and models) who get the mod bug, they end up upgrading swaybars and not really knowing why they are doing it and what it can actually effect. If guys are autocrossing or tracking - that's one thing...but upgrading swaybars isn't always a good thing for handling.

The designed understeer in my '17 V6 isn't horrible. I've driven much worse. I just prefer the car more neutral, if not with a bit of oversteer. I grew up racing dirt track, so having the rear step out doesn't bother me as long as it's predictable and not sudden.

Not to mention that really stiffening up the swaybars can kill ride quality. I'm 45 - I've had full blown project cars where I sacrificed ride quality for handling and I'm not going there on this car.
Yep. One of the reasons I have not upgraded sway bars yet. If I did autocross or tracked it more I would probably get some. If you do get sway bars the adjustable models will give you the option to set it for street, track, autocross, etc. but if you just drive it on the street, I wouldn't worry about it. I believe when I inquired about sway bars before Bmac told me it wasn't really necessary for what I plan to do with the car. I'd look more into springs and shocks which will improve handling, and be very noticeable, even on the street.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. One of the reasons I have not upgraded sway bars yet. If I did autocross or tracked it more I would probably get some. If you do get sway bars the adjustable models will give you the option to set it for street, track, autocross, etc. but if you just drive it on the street, I wouldn't worry about it. I believe when I inquired about sway bars before Bmac told me it wasn't really necessary for what I plan to do with the car. I'd look more into springs and shocks which will improve handling, and be very noticeable, even on the street.
Like I stated, I just prefer a more neutral car - if not a bit on the oversteer side. That's just my personal preference.

Ford OEM GT350R spring I can get for about $200 shipped.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will take a look at the GT350R springs. Much of a drop at all for me right now would make going up and down my driveway interesting. Might have to fill the bottom slop with some Quikcrete :D

I will be looking toward upgrading struts / shocks soon as well.
They are stiff springs, but they handle great on the street. I haven't had any issues with driveways or curbs yet, and I really don't plan to, considering it's only a .5" drop. I run a 275/40 tire now, which helps fill raise the car a bit more and fill in any remaining fender gap, but even with my 265/35/20 factory tires I had no issues with scraping.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Regarding the rest of the post, no argument there, for a lot it just seems like a "mod all the things" situation.

But for the quoted part, [MENTION=16078]GTP[/MENTION] may be able to talk you out of the GT350 springs if you're worried about daily ride comfort at all.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Well I've got brand new PP front and rear bars (with bushings for the bigger rear bar) on the way. The lead I had on a local set weren't even PP and he wanted almost want I paid for NEW OEM PP bars.

Much cheaper I think than most people realize. Right at $125 SHIPPED for the PP front and rear bars and bushings for the rear bar. There were several used , NON PP bars on Ebay going for that alone.

I need splash shield for my GT brake upgrade and a GT Upper grill shell anyway.

I'll update this post once their installed and I've had a chance to see how I like them.

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
You can put the whole PP GT suspension on a V6. My suspension (built for Roadcourse) is PP Shocks/Struts, Steeda GT F&R Swaybars, Steeda GT/V6 Progressive Springs and Maximum Motorsports Front Camber Plates.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
You can put the whole PP GT suspension on a V6. My suspension (built for Roadcourse) is PP Shocks/Struts, Steeda GT F&R Swaybars, Steeda GT/V6 Progressive Springs and Maximum Motorsports Front Camber Plates.
I'm well aware. The PP shocks and struts can be had for @ $300 brand new. I'm just going to see how the bars do. I really want to see first hand reviews on the Bilsteins that came out. Would like to see how the Bilsteins would work with a pair of minimum drop springs from BMR or Steeda.

Nick

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackstangs.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I'm well aware. The PP shocks and struts can be had for @ $300 brand new. I'm just going to see how the bars do. I really want to see first hand reviews on the Bilsteins that came out. Would like to see how the Bilsteins would work with a pair of minimum drop springs from BMR or Steeda.
You are building your V6 for more straight line right?
Sponsored