Sponsored

Anybody trade in a ZL1 for the GT350?

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Interesting video.....basically he's trying not to piss off the Camaro, Hellcat or Shelby owners at the end (then gives the nod to :ford:).....
If you're primarily doing street driving with a couple track days mixed in the regular ZL1 is a much better choice than the ZL1 1LE. Much like the Z/28 the ZL1 1LE is a track car that is bearable for limited street driving but it's primary use is at the track.

Ford pretty much went as full race car as you can go with the GT350R/GT350 and not have race car problems. They are just as home on a back road as they are on the track.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
If you're primarily doing street driving with a couple track days mixed in the regular ZL1 is a much better choice than the ZL1 1LE. Much like the Z/28 the ZL1 1LE is a track car that is bearable for limited street driving but it's primary use is at the track.

Ford pretty much went as full race car as you can go with the GT350R/GT350 and not have race car problems. They are just as home on a back road as they are on the track.
Yea my observation was more aimed at him trying to please all 3 audiences, less so at the camaro itself. I’m sure it’s a very competent vehicle.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Yea my observation was more aimed at him trying to please all 3 audiences, less so at the camaro itself. I’m sure it’s a very competent vehicle.
IMHO I don’t think he was trying to please any specific audience. I think he told the truth as he sees it: the ZL1 1LE is a better track car but not as good as dual purpose. The Hellcat is a superior cruiser.

I haven’t driven the Hellcat or any Camaro but my 392 is much better for cruising than the R and the numbers don’t lie about the Camaro...

Here are the Shelby and Hellcat reviews if you haven’t see them. Doesn’t seem to be pandering to anyone:

[ame]

[ame]

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
IMHO I don’t think he was trying to please any specific audience. I think he told the truth as he sees it: the ZL1 1LE is a better track car but not as good as dual purpose. The Hellcat is a superior cruiser.

I haven’t driven the Hellcat or any Camaro but my 392 is much better for cruising than the R and the numbers don’t lie about the Camaro...

Here are the Shelby and Hellcat reviews if you haven’t see them. Doesn’t seem to be pandering to anyone:

Yea I’ve seen those and actually really enjoy them. His review of the Shelby was one of the main reasons I ended up looking at the GT350 in the first place.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you can't respect the ZL1 1LE's capabilities, there's seriously something wrong with you. You don't have to like the car but to deny it's performance is asinine.

And there's the issue. Capability definitely does not equate to fun. In fact, I'd have to agree that we're getting to the point where capability does absolutely 100% indeed equate to fear and genuine danger.

A forgiving car is a fun car. Not to be mistaken for sloppy though. Miata is forgiving. S2000 is forgiving. A Gen 6 Civic SI is forgiving. Say what you want about it but it friggin' is. I think the GT350 is JUST at the ragged of forgiving and too capable but absolutely hits the sweet spot.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
They say they don't heat soak but with the ones I have run with on track I beg to differ. I will say they don't heat soak much but this car still has 50hp(flywheel) on me and doesn't pull. This was at the end of a 15+ min session btw.

In all fairness - you simply had a better line. You could hear that he didn't get back on the throttle as soon as you did and if that road was a little longer before the next braking zone, I think he'd have put a few more cars on you.

Good driving!

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
In all fairness - you simply had a better line. You could hear that he didn't get back on the throttle as soon as you did and if that road was a little longer before the next braking zone, I think he'd have put a few more cars on you.

Good driving!
Thanks! Was still 5-6 sec off my times from traffic but always fun.

That was certainly part of it but I was still surprised that it couldn't just leave me. He was pretty new in the car. Nothing better than seat time of course.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Paints his toe nails - TMI. Camaro interior better than the current Mustang interior? Puff puff pass. Mustang feels like a shitbox and sounds like a tin can?Puff puff pass! Fellate the sound clips....did he really just say that? I noticed he was heel/toeing on the street but had yet to mention that the car has the capability to rev-match. In essence he wanted you to see how qualified he is to review this car (he later talked about rev-matching). It is a great feature that you can turn on or off instantly. The Performance Data Recorder is a must have if you track and I pray that the GT500 comes with it as Ford has no plans (at this point anyway) to implement something similar on the GT350.

If he really believes this is too much for the street then I think we already know what his opinion on the next GT500 will be.
He definitely has a dry sense of humor and says/does things you don't expect from a very buttoned down looking guy. I thought the toe nail thing was funny. I also thought during his Ford pickup review when he used the F150 bed hand hold pole like a stripper pole that was amusing.

I think the interior of the Mustang is fine, but you can tell Ford's emphasis was on the suspension and drive train. I also don't care about interior as much as drive train. I did think he was overly harsh on it, though. If the Mustang's interior is so bad, why would a Mustang be his first choice as a dual purpose vehicle daily driving and going to the track?

That was certainly part of it but I was still surprised that it couldn't just leave me. He was pretty new in the car. Nothing better than seat time of course.
When I watched the video I felt the same as you. Of course the cars are fairly close, but I expected once the straight came that the Camaro would start pulling. It doesn't take driver skill to drop the hammer during a long straight. I think you're right that the ZL1 was getting some heat soak and losing power. It only makes sense that would happen after 10-15 minutes of lapping. I'm sure the change is subtle from the driver's seat of the Camaro.

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I actually like the interior. Not too cheap not to luxurious and flows ok to my eyes and besides, I'm usually looking out the window or at the gauges, not having a tea party inside playing feel the dash - is it plastic or leather, games.
There has to be something negative about a vehicle, to give contrast to his reviews. It seems the negative aspects are highlighted, moreso, in his tone and humor, than positives.
Funny little fella tho and like his reviews.

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I just sat in a zl1 1le, it’s a typically Chevy interior, just like my truck it’s hard plastic everywhere.

I think the interior is very nice in the mustang.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I just sat in a zl1 1le, it’s a typically Chevy interior, just like my truck it’s hard plastic everywhere.

I think the interior is very nice in the mustang.
i also don't think of the mustang as a cheap interior, but i've owned other mustangs in the past and to me this one is a HUGE upgrade lol.

that camaro interior will look so ridiculous in a few years because it's so "modern" in design

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
i also don't think of the mustang as a cheap interior, but i've owned other mustangs in the past and to me this one is a HUGE upgrade lol.

that camaro interior will look so ridiculous in a few years because it's so "modern" in design
That’s where I’m at, I think it works well and is not overly retro.

I do like the dials on the Camaro for the vent temp. However the vents are tough to move, you can feel the plastic over molding getting hung up when you turn it.

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
I'm trading a GT350 for a ZL1 1LE :shrug: