2018 Mustang Convertible Debut

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Let me rephrase. I didn't mean cheap in quality. I just feel like it makes the car look cheap. I'm just being sour because I always want a convertible but just never end up liking how they look with cloth tops.
Its weird how different strokes for different folks.

I love the cloth top. All other types of convertible tops look like crap to me. all the seams and stitching are more visible and there is no smoothness to the roof. (Not that there is a lot with the cloth roofs, but you get my point, I hope)

I was watching Barrett Jackson the other nite an saw an old Mustang convertible (cant remember the year:shrug:), but it had a vinyl top and I thought it looked cheap. Now, for that era, a cloth top would have looked silly. But my point is, I still think vinal tops look like crap.:(

For the record, I think the Mustang drop top looks far better than any other. But I am bias.... :)
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Let me rephrase. I didn't mean cheap in quality. I just feel like it makes the car look cheap. I'm just being sour because I always want a convertible but just never end up liking how they look with cloth tops.
Makes the car look cheap? That is silly.... and you basically said the same thing.

Not even sure why you are here then. There is not a "don't comment button"... but... ;)

I think you upset because the verts have a ton more headroom in the backseat even when we have the top up. I can fit an adult, you need someone under 5 ft. :D

Storm75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V-6 Convertible
I currently drive a 2012 GT convertible and do not have the luxury of a garage due to us being in temporary housing. It has the cloth top and I treat it with the 303 Products Cloth Treatment. The top looks like the day it was born...

I had a previous 2012, non-GT and it had a vinyl top. Treated it well also.

Absolutely no issues, they are weather-tight and sound-reducing.

I won't hesitate to order an '18 with the cloth top.

I have never cared for the fastback design so the convertibles give me the desired look of my 1967 notch-back coupe, and the fun of topless motoring!

Just my humble onion...

Storm75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V-6 Convertible
2018 Mustang Convertible (Crimson Red)

From the Chicago Auto Show...
2018-Mustang-Crimson-Red-657x360.jpg

Sponsored

phatsesh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 convertible GT
My mom is thunderbird had a cloth top and a hard top but the hardtop had to stay home if you wanted to be able to drop the top while out

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
[ame]

Sponsored

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Yeah I was hoping for one-touch top that will at least match Camaro's 30 mph speed limit. 3 mph limit? What's the point! Can't even do it cruising in a parking lot...:frusty: Camaro even has remote top-down capability which requires a motorized latch. C'mon, Ford, keep up with the competition! :crazy:
I agree the one-touch top operation would be nice, as well as the ability to operate it while the car is moving. What kills the Camaro convertible for me is having to put the trunk divider in place before you can operate the trunk, killing over half the available space in the process. Might as well have a convertible hard top. If Ford can implement a one-touch top that doesn't kill the trunk space, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, leave it just the way it is. It's just fine.

All the convertibles I've owned had two header latches to operate. The single release handle on the Mustang is pretty cool as far as I'm concerned. I guess it just depends on your point of view. :)

IL_G6_Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Both the 15-17 and 18 look nice, but I feel like the 18 body style is more feminine. It has nicer curves and looses the angular masculinity of the previous generation.

And I 100% agree about not wanting a hard top. I had one in the G37 and not only was it a constant feat that the pump would fail and the top wouldn't retract and I'd have panels looking like a misaligned transformer, but I love having a trunk, a back seat and still being able to drop the top during trips without having to compromise on something.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
My mom is thunderbird had a cloth top and a hard top but the hardtop had to stay home if you wanted to be able to drop the top while out
It's a late response but I just now found this thread. Anyway, I met a lady a bunch of years ago that had the retro T-Bird. It had the optional hard top too but she didn't know it was removable with a soft top underneath. ;)