Front plates?

Jaggy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2018 GT in Kona Blue
I’m moving to Round Rock (from Canada) and wondering if I can get by without a front plate? How much trouble is it?
Sponsored

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
You can get by for a while. Until you get a ticket. I'm at 14 months and counting without a front plate.

Mike's Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 401A
I went 10 months before getting pulled over for it. I got a warning. So I ordered a Sto N Sho bracket.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Disclaimer: I'm in the DFW area.

I've not run one in Texas on any car for a total of 22 years of driving in Texas, including since I've been back for the last 6 years; I've still never been pulled over for it (*fingers crossed*). Even when I was stopped for other things (like speeding) they never even mentioned it. I keep it between the seat and the console, and could pop it in the windshield if needed.

But, it really depends on the jurisdiction, but I see many, many cars without it in Dallas. My son was pulled over in his ST a few months back, but he does insurance claims and the cop watched him stop at several homes to take pictures. I've heard similar stories from others: you'll be pulled over with that as the excuse to verify you're on the up and up.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I run with front plates. Ended up bending my sto n sho one day (scraped on a steep incline) and took the plate off. Within two days, I got pulled over by a state trooper for no front plate.

Just got a warning, but I put it back on. I prefer not to get stopped for random crap like that.

Sponsored

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
As an LEO i could give 2 shits about having a front plate. However If I suspect that you're dirty or doing something stupid I will use it a PC to initiate a stop. DPS is the worst about it.

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Technically, Texas state law requires front and rear plates. But I have been driving for over 30 years, never had front plates on any of my vehicles, and I have never been cited solely for not having a front plate.

If you drive without a front plate, chances are low that you will be pulled over just for that. However, if you get pulled over for anything else (speeding, running a stop sign, etc) the officer *may* write you up for no front plate as well. Just don't be a douchebag when you get pulled over, and the officer will probably be lenient about the license plate.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Been driving without a front plate for years. You'll be fine. My current Mustang has no front plate either.

The Round Rock police actually run a car show every month if that says anything.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
2+ years w/o a front plate. Only 1 warning.

If I'm going on a road trip, I may put a front plate inside my front windshield with suction cups, just in case I get pulled over and they want to mention it, but usually I just run w/o it.

Rarely, a cop will use no-front plate as an excuse to stop you, but that's very rare (maybe 1 time in my 20+ years in Texas)
Sponsored