Sponsored

Oil change & particles

1day

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 OW/Blue Stripes
Hi gang,

Just changed my oil after 1k miles. I decided to strain the oil as I was transferring it to my used oil container. What was left behind appears to be bearing material. I understand there may be a certain amount of material left behind during break in, but I’m not sure about this amount. Does it seem excessive?
77793EB5-A707-40A6-9A6A-8596B75AF9B7.jpeg
Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I'm no expert on the 5.2L but seeing that on any engine I would be concerned enough to take that pan to the dealer and show them for feedback.

I'd also send the oil out to get sampled.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's normal. Don't worry about it. If it's a new engine at 1k miles there's going to be crud from machining and assembly in there and it comes out on the first few oil changes. Mine looked like that too. Oh, and it's not all metal either. There are tiny flakes of plastic and gasket material in there too.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
It's normal. Don't worry about it. If it's a new engine at 1k miles there's going to be crud from machining and assembly in there and it comes out on the first few oil changes. Mine looked like that too. Oh, and it's not all metal either. There are tiny flakes of plastic and gasket material in there too.
None of my cars had that in their first oil change.

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Sure is great to see the board's GT350 expert weighing in on all these threads :rolleyes:
Sure is great to know there is no shortage of dicks.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Sure is great to know there is no shortage of dicks.
My friend's ex-wife would disagree with you on that. Apparently she could not get enough of them in her. DOOOH.:cheers:

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I literally spit my tea.

Sammy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Without upsetting anybody that is exactly what I saw with both of my engines. Keep in mind they both used Mass amounts of oil and Ford bought the car back.

After going through my GT350 phase I purchased a C7 ZO6. The first oil change looked very similar to yours. It uses a quart every 1500 miles or so. O p i wouldn't sweat it. Enjoy the car.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
A lot of us do used oil analyses through Blackstone labs. You may find it insightful. If you want to go down the rabbit hole on oil changes, visit the forum over at Bob Is The Oil Guy.

My two cents as a former NASA mechanical and aerospace engineer with an affinity for tribology and bearings: that doesn’t look atypical for an internal combustion engine. That said, my Voodoo at 1000 miles had no visible shiny flakes in the pan. I was thoroughly expecting it.

I really don’t think you haven anything to worry about.

Sponsored

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I wouldn’t worry about it. And the dealer will just roll their eyes.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Mine looked similar. I wouldn't worry about it.

I ended up storing the crud in a glass jar. Not sure what good that will do me if mine has issues, but I kept it nonetheless.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Sure is great to see the board's GT350 expert weighing in on all these threads :rolleyes:
Mine was the same with some small silicone particulate to boot. Very unlikely that it’s bearing material. Could be from anywhere and I wonder if you clean the oil from those small flakes, if they’d actually be silver. These castings are pretty dirty from the factory. This is a Boss motor I built - had to do a lot of cleanup on that block...

http://93coupe.com/2012-mustang-boss-302-block-prep-for-engine-build/

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
I didn't bother to check mine as it is what it is. If it grenades then I get new motor. I get a kick out of the worry that sometimes infects people on this forum. Just drive it like you stole it, hopefully on the race track, and enjoy the ride.

Peter

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I used a filter mag from the git go. No oil burning at all. Its a craps shoot.
Sponsored