Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
Latest development in my vibe saga... I'm one of the guys who fixed my own vibe using the hose clamp method. I've been vibe free for a year. That is, until today. I just finished a clutch install (Mantic) so my DS was out.

Put it all back together and guess what? I had vibe!!!

Brought the car home, jacked it up with the intent of adjusting the hose clamp to rid myself of the vibe. I wanted to use a new clamp so I took the clamp off that I had installed a year ago. I figured I'd see what happened without it. Imagine my surprise to find that the vibe was gone with the hose clamp off!

So, now I'm hose clamp and vibe free. All I really did was remove and replace the driveshaft. My theory is now that the center u-joint bracket's location is critical.

Something to try you guys with vibe: get under there and loosen the two 13mm bolts holding the driveshaft center bearing bracket. Allow the whole bracket to find its own location while spinning the driveshaft (neutral with rear wheels off the ground). Find the location for the bracket that results in the least bracket wiggling as the DS is rotated. Re-tighten the two bolts and give her a go...

John
Sponsored

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Latest development in my vibe saga... I'm one of the guys who fixed my own vibe using the hose clamp method. I've been vibe free for a year. That is, until today. I just finished a clutch install (Mantic) so my DS was out.

Brought the car home, jacked it up with the intent of adjusting the hose clamp to rid myself of the vibe. I wanted to use a new clamp so I took the clamp off that I had installed a year ago. I figured I'd see what happened without it. Imagine my surprise to find that the vibe was gone with the hose clamp off!

So, now I'm hose clamp and vibe free. All I really did was remove and replace the driveshaft. My theory is now that the center u-joint bracket's location is critical.

Something to try you guys with vibe: get under there and loosen the two 13mm bolts holding the driveshaft center bearing bracket. Allow the whole bracket to find its own location while spinning the driveshaft (neutral with rear wheels off the ground). Find the location for the bracket that results in the least bracket wiggling as the DS is rotated. Re-tighten the two bolts and give her a go...

John
John,

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences. Absolutely sounds helpful and should I get that vibration I'll use yours and the other posts to try and rectify the situation

Cheers:cheers:

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

John
Hey John
Interesting find! Glad you are smooth again without the clamps. Do you think there are any other variables that might have changed the situation? I presume you put the driveshaft back to it's original position etc.? It's been a while since I have been under mine. Do you need to remove the exhaust to access the bracket?
Unfortunately, winter has set in here rather early this year, so my ride is tucked away. If I have time on a sunny and warmer weekend, then I might have a look. Otherwise it's a long wait 'til spring!
Thanks
Blake

Jackhammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks for the great find John. That makes perfect sense.
My driveshaft was just replaced and it really reduced the vibration considerably.
It’s still there but it really does come and go. It seems worse when it’s cold and gets better after you drive for 15 minutes or so.
I have a 4 post lift so I’m just going to play with it on my own. Hopefully I can figure it out.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jackhammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Good question. I really don’t see why Ford would use a 2 piece driveshaft in the first place.
The driveshaft is so short that you would think a one piece would work better.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
The big 3 all use 2 piece ds’s for safety reasons. It’s designed to break into 2 pieces in the event of hard frontal or rear accident... keeping it from coming through the floor. its the big 3’s idea of a drive shaft loop for 1piece ds’s!

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Thanks for the great find John. That makes perfect sense.
My driveshaft was just replaced and it really reduced the vibration considerably.
It’s still there but it really does come and go. It seems worse when it’s cold and gets better after you drive for 15 minutes or so.
Same observations here as well . Mine was 99.5% gone this summer (I had my DS replaced about a year ago) . Now that the weather is colder it's back to about 98% gone and gets better as I drive.

888mustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V-6 051A 6spd,95 Mustang GT Vert
Yes same here.My vibration was gone or 99% gone but can feel it a little 60-65 now that it's cold here in upstate NY. I fixed mine by indexing the rear drive shaft to rear pinion flange. A new drive shaft didn't change mine.

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.discountpackagingdepot.com
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
Anyone tried Balance Masters?

Hi all! I'm new to the forum. 2017 EcoBoost 'Vert with the dreaded vibration. I've been actively reading this thread. Amazing that it's been active since '15. A friend mentioned these as a possible solution to the vibration problem:

http://www.balancemasters.com/driveshafts.html

I'm thinking of giving them a go. Has anyone else tried them and does anyone know the diameter or circumference of the stock EcoBoost driveshaft?

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
This kinda sounds like the "dyna beads" for balancing tires.

barrykaye1001

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.discountpackagingdepot.com
First Name
Barry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible
I think the principle is the same. Not familiar with how the beads work on tires. From the website, it sounds like these are pretty common in OTR trucks.

markw24

markw24
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Hi all! I'm new to the forum. 2017 EcoBoost 'Vert with the dreaded vibration. I've been actively reading this thread. Amazing that it's been active since '15. A friend mentioned these as a possible solution to the vibration problem:

http://www.balancemasters.com/driveshafts.html

I'm thinking of giving them a go. Has anyone else tried them and does anyone know the diameter or circumference of the stock EcoBoost driveshaft?
:cheers:I think in some cases this could be a fix to the dreaded VIB. The cure has been anything from the trans flange to the half shafts. I think it would be worth a shot to see if it works.

I have had the VIB for 8,000 miles and 6 trips to the dealer with the same old story.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I put a Steeda subframe alignment kit on mine. Had the car aligned. Then put Steeda IRS stabilizer bars on my GT. Also road force balanced the tires. Took 90% of the vibration out. Fast forward a year went to the track and when I hit the highway noticed the vibration returned. My next oil change at the dealer I asked them to check my u-joints and drive train. The manager told me their was excessive play in the carrier bearing. They changed the drive shaft and vibration is gone.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
:cheers:I think in some cases this could be a fix to the dreaded VIB. The cure has been anything from the trans flange to the half shafts. I think it would be worth a shot to see if it works.

I have had the VIB for 8,000 miles and 6 trips to the dealer with the same old story.
I will let you know, I'm ordering these balance master straps monday i think it will take care of the remaining imballance I have.
Sponsored