How many miles is too many?

kiszl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Tripple Yellow 2015 GT
Might be doing the classic ecoboost for GT swap in the coming year and before I get started on the process I wanted to ask what you guys thought was acceptable miles for a used GT. I normally dont like to go anything above 25,000 miles but I know that these coyote engines are pretty reliable so Im open to suggestions.
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Buy new, minimize risk

SynisterGT

Kooks + Corsa FTW!!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Mag/Redline
My previous 12 GT had 43k when traded in. Lasted 2 weeks on the used lot (if that) Car was strong and no issues. Probably should have kept it but the improvements on the S550 dragged me in.

Ed2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd go as new as you can... check the deals on the classified section here. I saw lots of cars for sale by overly protective owners on this site. I wouldn't worry about buying used if it was well cared for. I'd still aim for as low of miles as possible.

Cardude is right though, if you can swing it always go new. There were some killer deals on the east coast when I was looking. I paid $28k recently for one with 15k miles. But everything is more expensive in CA and it was the only car for sale with everything I wanted on the whole west coast. I saw new cars for sale around the DC area for $28k not too long ago.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I don't think mileage matters a whole lot if the car was taken care of. 10k-12k a year is a decent average though. You could look on the forum for a GT that was daily driven only (not going past 3k rpm, part throttle driving only).

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Buy new. I had a brand new Fox body 5.0 for three months. Drove the shit out of it racing and then wrecked it in an accident. Easy write-off. Year or so later his guy calls me up wanting to know about the history of his car. I had to tell him the truth about how I drove it and that it was the shape of a banana when I got rid of it. I still can’t believe they fixed that car. I would only by used if you knew the seller.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Food for thought, the amount you save by buying used would pay for supercharger, new engine or any other issue that might arise out of warranty.

With that said, if you do buy used just make sure all of the TSBs and other common issues have already been taken car of under warranty.

PrimetimeKenny_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt- Mt82
Buy a Ford CPO Mustang. You aren't guaranteed to get a car that hasn't had a rough life, but at least ford technicians have looked through the car thoroughly. If 25,000 miles is your limit, then you would still be within 36 months of bumper to bumper coverage. However, new 2017s are still on the lot and dealers need to clear inventory, so perhaps you can negotiate for a sales price that makes you happy ::ford::

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
I'm buying my 18 GT brand new. And I'm going to baby the heck out of this car. It's going to get xpel, CQuartz the protective coating on the windshield (to protect from UV and glare ). So if and when I sell it they will get a brand new car (paint wise). And I plan on taking my car to the dealer I bought it from for everything that way if I decide to sell it everything is from Ford.

The newer the better also check everything. Have someone go with you and sit in the backseat and check for creaks and rattles. My parents bought my V6 cause I was stuck at work. But I trusted my dad and my mom. I knew if it wasn't a good car they wouldn't have bought it for me.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I'm buying my 18 GT brand new. And I'm going to baby the heck out of this car. It's going to get xpel, CQuartz the protective coating on the windshield (to protect from UV and glare ). So if and when I sell it they will get a brand new car (paint wise). And I plan on taking my car to the dealer I bought it from for everything that way if I decide to sell it everything is from Ford.
It's sad to say though, nearly all the money you spend will have virtually no bearing on residual value. In the end, your car will be worth only marginally more than any other car when it comes time to sell....as people purchasing used are more concerned with price than any protective coatings applied.

Sponsored

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's sad to say though, nearly all the money you spend will have virtually no bearing on residual value. In the end, your car will be worth only marginally more than any other car when it comes time to sell....as people purchasing used are more concerned with price than any protective coatings applied.
To be honest when I'm done with my '18 my father will more than likely buy it from me. And he'll keep it till the wheels fall off. He's buying my 13 from me when my new one comes in...

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
To be honest when I'm done with my '18 my father will more than likely buy it from me. And he'll keep it till the wheels fall off. He's buying my 13 from me when my new one comes in...
Nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
These engines are pretty reliable even with mods. My buddy has over 100k on his 13 GT and it’s tuned with headers and exhaust. Definitely doesn’t baby it.

I’d be more inclined to buy an unmodded mustang. Most people just drive them. Most of the guys I see driving their mustangs around are 50+ espcially when it comes to the higher valued ones.

I’d look for one owner premiums. Save tons of money. Most now are well under $30k.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I'd say 100k miles or less as long as it has been taken care of. Maintenance records, no stains or mud anywhere, etc.

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase