Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I know I'm late into this thread. I had a vibration at 70+mph. Generally it was minor and hardly noticeable. This Sunday it worsened. I took my car in for an oil change to the dealership Monday. I asked them to check my U joints and drive train. The service manager approaches me and tells me the carrier bearing has a lot of movement and needed to be replaced. The front U joint shows a little grease leaking too. It's under warranty. My driveshaft should be in tomorrow afternoon. I trust the Service Manager. He is a knowledgeable guy and knows his business. Whats funny is after they jerked around on the carrier bearing testing it my car ran smooth with no vibration on the way back home on the interstate at 70+ speeds. I will post after install.
Sponsored

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible
My 2017 GT convertible is at the dealer now. Ford is shipping a new drive shaft and I should have it back Friday.

Two dealers were not equipped to test for chassis vibration. Local dealer sent me to a large dealership and they have been great so far.

I'll report back. Cautiously optimistic...
Service called. They replaced the driveshaft and the vibration is still there. They have ordered a new "rear drive unit". I assume this means the differential. Looks like I will be driving this Fusion for another week or so...:(

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Service called. They replaced the driveshaft and the vibration is still there. They have ordered a new "rear drive unit". I assume this means the differential. Looks like I will be driving this Fusion for another week or so...:(
Good update. Sometimes it takes both. At least you got them doing the right things.

Sick03L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang Premium Automagic
Or add a hose clamp or 2 and be done lol.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So here’s my update - and I’ve documented my driveline issues extensively in this very thread well...

My S550 has been at the shop more times than I care to list here, however here’s all that’s been done to it - short of the MASSIVE amount of Ford Service Center labor hours AND data logging by the local Ford FSE AND the Ford Engineering Team who’s also been involved.

I purchased my 2016 S550 brand new in Dec 2015; this driveline issue has been present since my vehicle accumulated 1,079 miles.

Road Force Balancing of wheels (numerous times)
Original driveshaft replaced with 2nd driveshaft
Original trans flange replaced
Original rear pinion replaced
Original Trans mount replaced
Numerous HOURS logged on vibration analysis machine
Original complete 3.55 rear diff replaced this June 2017
2nd driveshaft replaced this Aug/Oct with its THIRD driveshaft (yes, car was at Ford Service for 2 mos for extensive field testing etc)
3rd driveshaft balanced (both front and rear sections)
Pinion angles checked
Shims added to trans mount per Ford Engineering direction
BOTH Ford SSM’s 45938/46767 have been applied to my vehicle as well...

I have a freaking STACK of Ford Service work orders that is over 1” thick relating just to this problem.

I even put over $1k out of my own damn pocket for a brand new set of BFG tires and alignment in January 2017 thinking after all of the hard parts being replaced that the issue had to be tire related but was not - so my Pirellis were replaced with only 17k miles on them ... and the driveline vibe was STILL persistent. It’s NOT f’n tire related and it’s not a “normal characteristic of the vehicle” as Ford Service Centers are trying to push off on the consumer.

It’s BS and it’s an inherent problem across the platform from 2015 to the 2017 models - no joke about it.

Where does mine stand today?

Yea, so after another 2 months in the shop, the vibe is back in 1k miles... and I’m in discussion with my Ford Rep for a replacement S550; waiting for Ford Procurement to call me in next 5-7 days. I can’t keep taking the car back to the Service Center every freaking few thousand miles for the same damn issue over and over again - having the car sit there for months as I’m paying on the note.

This is THE WORST new car purchase I’ve ever had, period. And this is coming from a true Mustang Enthusiast where I have owned (19) Mustangs to date - including this S550 “vibrator” and my 94 Cobra. This 2016 has been in the shop more times than my entire 15yr ownership of my 94 Cobra!

Hey Ford:
The “Shaker” emblem/designation on the interior center stack is not in reference to the stereo system - is what an S550 owner experiences while driving an S550 between 50-70mph...

Attached is my last Ford Service Work Order; if anyone can point out any tech about what has been diagnosed or how the diagnosis has been approached and sees anything out of the ordinary, please speak up (hey Kelly [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION] you’re a reputable suspension professional, maybe something stands out to you in this last work order???). I believe my S550 has had THE MOST extensive documentation out of all on this forum...and probably all S550’s logged in Ford’s OASIS system... LMFAO.

I’ve been more than patient - and damn persistent in HOPING Ford Engineering would have a permanent fix by now - but that’s like building an elevator to the Moon, it’s probably never going to happen... The thing that pisses me off is I REALLY like the vehicle, it’s performance and styling - but now I’m finally at the breaking point.
F71A0367-6ED7-4226-8F73-7AADD539E52B.jpeg
D230A133-9B53-4A17-9D2B-DAAE4EBA8AFC.jpeg
3A499E11-6659-4E66-8695-9092BAC272D7.jpeg
0FA5C755-4821-4590-8F79-9B7872A101E9.jpeg
A5753109-16FD-4F8F-8004-56F32D1EB4F3.jpeg
D4049350-D379-4F0E-B599-6FEC2F845BE4.jpeg

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
^^^^
I was there where you are a week ago. I just couldn't take the bs anymore. Like you I also loved my car but to think this car sticker priced at 43k and was the most expensive car I ever bought to only put up with all that shit this year, we'll I was done. I test drove some cars and loved the way the 392 SRT challenger drove and parted ways with the Mustang. I am sure this car will also have its idiosyncrasies but at least it drives smoothly.
I am done with Ford. I always bought GM for the most part but the Mustang was just an awesome car and I had to have it.
I hope they figured this crap out for the 2018 model.
Pathetic.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Cobra jet after all you've been through its time to move on. Challenger Charger or Camaro. If you trade it in on another ford all your documentation will likely be acessable to any Ford dealership which could effect your trade in value!

15gtRob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boosted 2015 Mustang GT
[MENTION=8748]Cobra[/MENTION]jet got get a skittle ised vette I miss my 12 grandsport dearly by far best driving / handling car I’ve ever owned and that push rod V8 has an unmistakeable sound.

CtheProducer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium | 3.55 rear |
This is what I am worried my road will look like as I try to work with BBB and Ford to get a fix, a long and documented process; that could possibly fix it only to have something re-appear later on. Seems trade or DIY fix are the only two fast options around. Sucks loosing the warranty on the car if you go past just adding hose clamps on the DIT route.

And like everyone else, I freaking love this car so trading also sucks.... but for those who have, sounds like you are all still enjoying the new rides.

My Update, still waiting to hear back from someone.

Sponsored

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Cobra_Jet, I can feel your pain! I read your post yesterday but I was too speechless to even reply.

Now after a quick scan of the post again, am I reading correctly that the final "fix" that was done is a hose clamp balance on the rear section of the DS?
That is the same procedure that I used to fix mine over a year ago.
Did they hose-clamp-balance DS the past and have it fixed temporarily?

It seems like a hose-clamp-balance on the rear section may be the ticket. Hopefully for good. (It has been for mine, for now) Hoping I don't have to re-do it at some point.

If Ford has the 2018's sorted out (yet to be determined)then that would mean they got to the root of the problem. If that is the case, then they owe us 15-17 owners the fix.
Mine has been a minimal pain so far. One afternoon in my garage and I have not had to look back. (see post with pics on page 118 and 119)
Again I hope it stays that way!
I really feel for everyone who has been trying to go through the correct channel to get resolution, only to end up in a situation of frustration. If you plan on keeping the car then I would push them for something. Perhaps an extended warranty on the problem as well as related driveline components. AND they should give you a Mustang loaner whenever yours is in the shop.
If you chose to move on, no one would blame you!

Keep us posted on what happens next.
cheers, Blake

Cruizer40

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special, FPP2
ABS550
It was your post that I used about this time last year to install a hose clamp on the rear DS after getting disgusted with 2 dealerships that could not fix it and quickly lost interest.
Mine is still running as smoothly as it was on day one.
Thanks.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
Good job guys! Gives me some hope should this issue rear it's head with my GT

CtheProducer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium | 3.55 rear |
Well BBB let me know Ford has agreed to send an engineer out to look at my car. Should be getting a call to set everything up in 7 days.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Sounds stupid, but it helped.

When I first read this post I posted "no" to having the vibration. When I purchased the car new the dealer had installed wheel locks that protruded out farther than the lug nuts. I decide to take them off to give it a cleaner look. Immediately I noticed it picked up a vibration and after taking a 2,500 road trip the vibration would come in go. What's weird to me, is it felt like something would move or change in the rear end and it would go away or come back. After getting back home I put the wheel locks back on and again it smoothed back out.

At this point there is very little to no vibration, not enough to bother with. I'm no engineer, but our vert has a much different ride in the rear than our gen5 Camaro vert did. With the Ford, you feel every little ripple in the road with a shimming affect but is smooth over bumps. It was so noticeable I got rid of the 20" wheels at 750 miles. The 18" wheels smoothed it out a noticeable difference, but it's still there and maybe normal for the vents. If it's related to the drive line vibration, I don't know.
Sponsored

Last edited: