Sponsored

Boostworks Twin turbo kit track results

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
Aluminum maf housing between engine and radiator fan.
How is IAT not changing? You have ambient inlet temps and now have boosted temp in manifold?

EDIT: I just figured out the mass air is after intercooler.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium auto
How is IAT not changing? You have ambient inlet temps and now have boosted temp in manifold?

EDIT: I just figured out the mass air is after intercooler.
Yes, ambient shows on the Nav screen and IAT use to read off the MAF. Now its turned off at the MAF and is now reading from the VMP IAT sensor in my intake mani.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Yes, ambient shows on the Nav screen and IAT use to read off the MAF. Now its turned off at the MAF and is now reading from the VMP IAT sensor in my intake mani.
So what you are saying is that even though the discharge tube gets hot air from the cooling fan and radiator and that is where the IAT2 temp was previously reading from the MAF. Now that the sensor has moved to the rear of the plastic intake manifold in 1 runner that the IAT2 temps remain unchanged ? This would lead one to believe that even though the sensor location was moved the entire engine bay is subjected to the heat as hot air rises, and although plastic should remain cooler than metal the overall temp is the same.

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what you are saying is that even though the discharge tube gets hot air from the cooling fan and radiator and that is where the IAT2 temp was previously reading from the MAF. Now that the sensor has moved to the rear of the plastic intake manifold in 1 runner that the IAT2 temps remain unchanged ? This would lead one to believe that even though the sensor location was moved the entire engine bay is subjected to the heat as hot air rises, and although plastic should remain cooler than metal the overall temp is the same.
Well i was always told once air starts moving through a metal intake manifold it cools down faster than a composite or plastic intake.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It would make sense that the discharge tube would remain cooler than the intake manifold as it's not soaking the heat from the engine itself. But who know if you have high IAT2 temps it's a bad scene period.

Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I would say that's possible, but more than likely it isn't getting heat soaked in either location, rather those are the actual intake air temps.

Very confused on the whole debate of intake air temp sensor location and heat soak.

Stock configuration has the MAF/IAT stuffed right in front of the radiator, never hear anything about sensor heat soak? Maybe because its plastic tubing? IATs certainly sky rocket when sitting still, even in stock form, but that isn't sensor heat soak, those are actual intake air temps, the heat soak of the surrounding area of the intake tube, shield, etc, cause actual intake temps to shoot up when not moving. Soon as the vehicle moves, throttle is opened, and fresh air comes in, that heat soak starts to dissipate very quickly. Again though it isn't heat soak of the sensor.

Whipple and VMP have their IAT2 sensor mounted in the aluminum base manifold of their blowers, at driver/rear of the intake. Again, I have never measured any sensor heat soak at this location, and find it hard to believe if an ENTIRE manifold made of aluminum doesn't heat soak the sensor, why a thin tube of aluminum would? And the engine heat in this location is probably one of the highest in the engine compartment, just above the headers.

Under full throttle with 10psi of boost, there should be NO measurable heat soak at the sensor after a second or two of airflow going past the sensor, IMO.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The OP said his IAT2 temps hit 170 deg and his sensor is in the MAF, so even if relocating the sensor to the manifold drops 20 - 30 deg which would net 140 deg that's still way too high IMO for only 7 - 10 psi boost. The root cause is the limited airflow through the bumper but why is no one else complaining about high IAT2 temps with other kits, eg Hellion, Procharger, LPF etc they all have the IC in the same location. So if they aren't experiencing problems then the IC being used in this particular application must be the issue.

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
All of the kits have been discussed. They all have High IAT. My LPF was similar to this.

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The OP said his IAT2 temps hit 170 deg and his sensor is in the MAF, so even if relocating the sensor to the manifold drops 20 - 30 deg which would net 140 deg that's still way too high IMO for only 7 - 10 psi boost. The root cause is the limited airflow through the bumper but why is no one else complaining about high IAT2 temps with other kits, eg Hellion, Procharger, LPF etc they all have the IC in the same location. So if they aren't experiencing problems then the IC being used in this particular application must be the issue.
We're not the only ones.. but we're doing something about it

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sensor relocation for me was for Methenol. You cant soak the maf in meth so relocating the IAT sensor is the only way the computer will read it correctly. At least in my boosted setup.

Sponsored

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Never thought the day would come that a twin setup blows hotter IATs compared to similar powered centri or PD style blower. Goes to show some of the R&D put into the kits for this platform.

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
We did a lot of testing last winter. We've probably spent the most time refining and making our kit better than most manufacturers. We're not just burying our heads in the sand. But trust me when I say that every major kit out there has fought this issue due to poor airflow through the bumper.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Maybe a water to air setup should be considered? Not seeing these same temp issues with my Whipple, stock bumper, 3.625" pulley, so not pushing crazy boost but with their latest oversized heat exchanger, my temps sit around 105-125* peak, car is prob in the mid 700's at the tire.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
We did a lot of testing last winter. We've probably spent the most time refining and making our kit better than most manufacturers. We're not just burying our heads in the sand. But trust me when I say that every major kit out there has fought this issue due to poor airflow through the bumper.
Time to design a new bumper or maybe put the intercooler in front of the bumper LOL. Maybe include a 50 shot of NOS to cool it down.
Sponsored