NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
So frustrating...my car barely has 900 miles, kept in the garage and NEVER redlined! I've been babying it because I wanted to keep it for years.
Absolutely, 100% the wrong move. Beat on that motor, and start doing it now. If you don't, you'll have an oil-burner.

Seriously, don't baby it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Steel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT PP (SOLD! Back ISSUES)
Just saw your doc say u need to stay away from manual permanently.

I mean, if that's the case, go talk to your dealer. In person. Bring your prescriptions.
I got an auto, wish i had a manual
Go back to your dealer salesperson, and explain your medical problem. Ask them if they would make a trade for a 2017, Auto, in stock. The deals are out there, as it is end of year and the '18s are going to be moving in. Give it a shot, nothing to lose.

Well, I just called my dealership and he says he going to "look" for GT. This is going to be a long-shot...plus, I hate the idea of what this is going to cost.

I'm not holding my breath.

OP
OP

Steel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely, 100% the wrong move. Beat on that motor, and start doing it now. If you don't, you'll have an oil-burner.

Seriously, don't baby it.

Well, first time I've heard that one...wish I knew that BEFORE I hurt my back. :D

Either way, I can't drive it right now anyway. She's just sitting in the garage.
My GT2.JPG

OP
OP

Steel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a clutch assist spring in there which already lightens the clutch effort.

If you found a stiffer spring with the right dimensions, it should work.

Edit: The steeda spring is lighter, you don't want that one it will increase the pedal effort.
Ok, used the search function :search: and found a bunch of clutch spring related threads. And, yes, the Steeda would be too light...so I need a spring even heavier than stock, right?

Can you guys point me to a really HEAVY spring? Where would you look?

(Oh, and thanks everyone! Y'all have been VERY helpful! :thumbsup:)

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
If they can't you could always order an 18. I know it's different than a 17. But since 17s seem to be moving fast it might be hard to get one the way you awnt. Or you could just wait till the 18s are on the lot and do it that way. Plus, I hear the 10 speed auto will be better than the 6 speed in the 17s.

Sponsored

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Find another doc:)

OP
OP

Steel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My clutch on the '98 Z3 hurt my back. I taped a small noggin of wood onto the back of the clutch lever, about 3/4 inch deep. This stopped the clutch pedal travelling too far and straining my back. It actually worked well for me (my left leg and ankle were mashed up in a motorcycle crash 40 years ago). Might be worth a go.
....plus this? -->

Anyone know if the Clutch Pedal Extension and a new heavier spring would "lighten" the clutch travel, feel, etc.?

https://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-clutch-pedal-extention-9416.html

388984?$enlarged810x608$.jpg

I really don't want to sell such a cool car.

(Heck, I've never had a car that I see people actually stop in the parking lot and take pictures of it! They never did that for my BMW!)

:D

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
I have a ruptured disc on my lower back. The clutch could be the issue but the lower ride height even in stock form could affect your back too. Just getting in and out of it I've noticed can be a challenge. I would really assess if it's just the clutch or everything else I mentioned before you try to trade it in. It would be an expensive swap if you go automatic and then figure out getting in and out of it is also an issue.

Sponsored

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
2 things
-Like Bob_With said "Find another doc".
-But 2; before doing that: go see a Chiropractor. One worked wonders with a relative of mine with serious back problems.

And yes, you will regret giving up the Mustang for a Civic, yes that Pale green Civic 4 door auto with 110 hp that goes 0-60 in a dangerous 12 secs. The 18 sec quarter mile will also give you time to balance your checkbook before you get to the end of each block.

Last edited:

2veloce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT/CS PREM CONVERTIBLE AT
Steel:
I understand your pain having significant degenerative disks. I always drove manuals in every new Mustang/Cobra I purchased except my 2017. I knew that using the clutch would aggravate my pain. The automatic is great and if I were to resume drag racing, I would gladly go up against any M6. Good luck in finding a solution.

kingofsting

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Shadow Black / Redline Interior
Just got back from a 48 state road trip in my 16 GT - with stick. Since taking ownership in March 2016, I've experienced severely aggravated neck and back pain/pressure. I was hit with Bells Palsy in August 16 and my left side hasn't been the same since. On the road trip this past summer, I drove 3 - 7 hours a day (gf doesn't drive stick) leaving me with significant left-side pain from constantly engaging the clutch. As I type this out, I'm on my 3rd or 4th consecutive day struggling with soreness along my left side. When the lease is up in 2019, I may have to switch to an auto, as I experience much less pain when driving my MKC.

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Guys
I'm not downgrading your pain, just having a bit of fun.

Having said that, I'm 62 with a chronic bad back. My car is lowered & having a manual "Stang I put up with the soreness, love Mustangs. Now, if you guys really feel better with an automatic, go for it. Please keep a Mustang, don't go other.

DropTopBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2017 EB Conv, Perf Pak, Borla Sport Axleback
Shortly after I got my automatic last Feb I developed lower back pain on the right. Chiro asked about my driving position and I was leaning right with my arm on the console armrest. He told me to sit up straight with both hands on the wheel which I do ...feel nerdy but the pain is greatly diminished!
Also Sport Plus mode and paddle-shifting is a blast!
Sponsored