Sponsored

Front end suspension clunking

White5Ohhhhj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
First off sorry I'm on my phone so I can't upload the pic,I'll link it

https://services.edmunds-media.com/...t/2015_ford_mustang-gt_det_lt_5271515_717.jpg

So the bottom yellow line piece,not sure what that part is even called =/ lol
I was replacing my drivers side wheel fender liner and decided to just check around the front end of anything was loose because I've been getting some really bad clunking noise.Its every time I go over bumps or the incline changes, so I went to grab this and I could twist the thing from left to right with absoloutle ease,should it have that much play?Or is it shot,I've got a lot of suspension work done and unfortunately I installed almost everything at once minus bags so not sure what the cause is.Any help is appreciated
Sponsored

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'd be curious to know this as well.
Mine is also loose, with a twisting motion I can make the piece move quite a bit. I'm also having some front end clunking that I just can't figure out.
Anyone know if this is normal?

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I had experienced this after I went with airlift. Check your end links and tighten em up. if anything has a lot of play then their bushing maybe bad but check the sway bar end links first and torque it to specs.

Next step and check your wheel hub bearing. Shake the wheel vertically and horizontally. if there is play then it could the case as well.

B.Crowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 Mustang GT Prem. M/T
Just throwing this out there because I recently had a clunking noise coming from the front after I put in new struts. When I removed the original struts, I couldn't get the springs off with the rental spring compressor. I brought them to a chain-type garage and had them move the springs over to the new struts. I installed everything and had the clunking noise. I checked everything multiple times and was about to call it quits after I checked the top mounts under the hood one last time. Then I noticed that the nut on top of the strut shaft was loose on both struts. Used the impact wrench on them and problem solved.

Sway bar link seems to a common issue also. Not relevant to OP but improperly seated springs could also be the problem.

LarsenGrind

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lars
Vehicle(s)
2017 Euro-Spec GT
I have lowered my GT on Pedders coils. At the beginning all was good. But now I have the some clunking too. If I go straight over speedbumps, there is no issue. If only one wheel hits the bump I get the clunking. So my guess is, that it would have to be something with the endlink (came with the coils, and are much shorter), or the stock swaybar.
Any qualified guess from U guys. I will check to see if everything is still torque to spec.

Sponsored

Hotpart.com

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002, 2006, 2015 Mustangs
If you have the PP suspension it would probably be easy to move/twist. They use a spherical bearing instead of a rubber bushing which allow for articulation. If they move twist but don't have any play they are probably fine.

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
^ that is a very good set of reasoning. I do have a PP car, so I think that makes sense.
I have been through so many investigative wrenching sessions trying to figure out the clunking.
- unhooked endlinks to isolate sway bar
- replaced endlinks with aftermarket
- used impact wrench on the bolt holding the camber plate onto the strut. They are tight.
- made sure strut mount to body bolts (3) are tight
- made sure Springs were seated right in the strut
- checked all brake components and bolts
- removed aftermarket k member brace. Noise was reduced, but not eliminated. Replaced brace after a week of and noise increased. So clunking must be effected by or at least the noise transmitted by a stiffer k member.
- cut down (shortened) strut mount bolts. The outside bolt of each camber plate on each mount was too long and impacting the black hood felt.
- removed strut to spindle bolts, inspected area, and replaced
- checked for bad wheel bearings (grab and shake tire method)
- made sure wheel bearing bolts (inner bolts and giant outer bolt) are all torqued correctly.

Nothing besides removing the k member brace has had any effect at all. I am running out of ideas besides bad camber plates.
Is there any way to definitively diagnose a noisy camber plate without disassembly of the strut?

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Alright, I'm feeling a little bad about somewhat hijacking this thread, but there is a chance that our problems are similar and I don't want to start another one for the same topic.

I used a super cheap Chinese knock off action cam to get some video of the front suspension working. The audio is not the best as the cam is in a waterproof housing duct taped to the K member. Even with that in mind you can get an idea of the noise that I am experiencing. It's even louder in the passenger compartment, but it sounds the same.

Anyone have any guesses?

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
Alright, I'm feeling a little bad about somewhat hijacking this thread, but there is a chance that our problems are similar and I don't want to start another one for the same topic.

I used a super cheap Chinese knock off action cam to get some video of the front suspension working. The audio is not the best as the cam is in a waterproof housing duct taped to the K member. Even with that in mind you can get an idea of the noise that I am experiencing. It's even louder in the passenger compartment, but it sounds the same.

Anyone have any guesses?

Mine is stock and I think we share the same issue. My dealer is clueless so I'm just here looking for solutions.

I hope it's not as big of a deal like a member in this thread that had a bad weld.

Sponsored

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
I can confirm that I also have the same sounds coming from my front end. The only modifications up front on my car are Steeda Progressive springs.

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
My noise seems to be coming from both sides side equally as far as I can tell. Happens only at speeds in the 10-45 mph range over sharp, small, bumps that are so small that you wouldn't even feel the car move up/down. Large bumps or dips do nothing.

The fact that the noise gets worse when a k member brace is installed makes me wonder if I can narrow down where the source is. Maybe something down low being transmitted up through the strut? What's connected to the k member that could make this noise?

Yesterday I used a dial indicator with a magnetic base in an attempt to see if the camber plate bearing was moving. I wasn't able to get any movement, but also don't think I could replicate a small sharp bump very well. I'll have to attempt this again.

I'm close to going back to stock strut mounts and seeing if that helpa as this noise is driving me crazy. Everyone who rides in the car asks what that noise is. I sucks driving around in a nice Mustang that sounds like a old beat up jalopy.
Sorry for rambling... I'm going crazy.

Hotpart.com

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002, 2006, 2015 Mustangs
Check to make sure the coil springs aren't going into bind and hitting each other. For those who have the noise only on one side I would swap the strut assembly side to side. For those with aftermarket camber plates I would check the bearing for play. If it was a camber plate bearing it would typically make the noise anytime the suspension moves.

Be careful with putting the stock mounts back in. It may still make the noise but the stock mounts might hide it with through the rubber.