OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, $1000 for 4. I understand the process even more now. Thanks...

Powdercoating is much more involving as they will have to remove the calipers to apply powder and then be baked. Anything that is not metal needs to be removed from the caliper for the baking process. You are looking at complete disassembling/assembling the calipers as well as bleeding them. I am gonna say $300-500 for 2 and more for 4.
Sponsored

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I tried the G2 paint on another project. Looked like crap. Didn't self level and even though I spent ages stirring the mix there were loads of particles and other stuff in the finish. Very glad I didn't use it on my calipers.

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To confirm, are you saying they were powder coated on?
And if so, how long before you felt they needed to be coated again?

Thanks

Got them done for $300 all 4, did not last me to long need them done again!

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
A quality powder coating will charge around $450-$550 for coating/rebuilding the brakes. G2 isn't even comparable to powder coating but if you aren't too picky you might want to go that route.

Sponsored

speedaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black base GT
I did it with VHT in gloss black this spring, cleaned thoroughly and masked everything off properly (including shocks and wheel wells), sprayed 4 coats on calipers and rotor hubs. Used 2-1/2 cans and a long day, turned out great. To get proper coverage you do need to loosen the calipers from the mounts (without disconnecting the lines) and it can be tricky to manipulate them while spraying, but the results are excellent.

Now how long will it last without flaking, only time will tell...

socal2fast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Got a Powder Coat place here in Southern California that does them for $250 a Set! Come out GREAT. The Shop around the corner from them will brake them down for you and rebuild them if you need.

They have done some for me in the past and in a few weeks are going to be doing the GT350 Brake Calipers for me.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I painted the calipers black on my 95 Cobra 15 years ago and they still look great.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I had mine powdercoated at work price was free. However, they did not stand up to track use and look like crap now. Fine for street use or autocross, any more than that and they heat up enough the paint gets soft and brake dust sticks like shit to a blanket and stays there. They looked great at first though.
caliper%20back.jpg

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I had mine powdercoated at work price was free. However, they did not stand up to track use and look like crap now. Fine for street use or autocross, any more than that and they heat up enough the paint gets soft and brake dust sticks like shit to a blanket and stays there. They looked great at first though.
Interesting. Powder coating does melt under heat. I wonder if dried high temperature paint would be better option?

Sponsored
OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After a bit more research and watching videos of powder coating being applied, I'm going to leave well alone. Not worth the cost, merely for a 'look'.

I was at my regular Ford dealership today, and saw a GT350. It looked LOVELY, and the calipers were stock grey, and looked good...

OP
OP
ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, well, Butler Tyre can do the "High temperature ceramic paint" painting method, for $400...! And it takes half a day.

I might look into that.

Thoughts...?