Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
We are talking about regular GTs , they have no axle coolers
We're talking about axle cooling, which has implications beyond just the GT. Do you think that nothing discussed here is of interest to the owner of a GT350? Anyway, as noted, it never hurts to keep things in perspective. The point being that if a someone does, in fact, add a cooler, that should be should be a consideration in oil weight chosen.

Also wildcatgoal, FWIW, Torsen doesn't specifically recommend 75W140 anywhere. Rather, what the vehicle manufacturer recommends in most situations still applies, and what the ring & pinion manufacturer recommends if that's been changed. It just so happens that Ford used the 140 a lot until recently. My personal thought is that 75W140 offers a lot of all-around benefits for the reasons that you've mentioned, but would come at the price of a (minor) loss of drivetrain efficiency. My own experience shows that the 75W85 is a kind of crappy lube...
Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
We're talking about axle cooling, which has implications beyond just the GT. Do you think that nothing discussed here is of interest to the owner of a GT350? Anyway, as noted, it never hurts to keep things in perspective. The point being that if a someone does, in fact, add a cooler, that should be should be a consideration in oil weight chosen.
Not of interest to a GT350 owner because those already have a diff cooler, or at least the track pack & R's do. And the Track pack was rolled into the base GT350 for 2017.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
293F seems pretty hot for a diff.

I have a 2016 non-PP GT with auto trans (no diff warning system). I wrapped my exhaust around the diff, put in 140wt, and put on a temp sticker of range 250 - 320F.

Had an all-day track day, of pleasant 75F ambient temp. The temp sticker didn't even register the first dot. :shrug:
20170825_213917.jpg
20170819_123204.jpg

wmfateam

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Whitey
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I had a very intense track day on Saturday, 2017 GT PP, never received a warning or anything. Three sessions (25 min, 20 min and 15 min) and a three lap Time Attack. In AZ at about 80-90 degrees. Still on stock fluid that had one other track day.

Sponsored

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
293F seems pretty hot for a diff.

I have a 2016 non-PP GT with auto trans (no diff warning system). I wrapped my exhaust around the diff, put in 140wt, and put on a temp sticker of range 250 - 320F.

Had an all-day track day, of pleasant 75F ambient temp. The temp sticker didn't even register the first dot. :shrug:
The aluminum carrier probably sheds heat a lot more readily than the iron one does. Combine that with the exhaust wrap, and maybe you've found a happy place...

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I wrapped my exhaust and didn't get a heat warning the last time I was at RA. It was at Gridlife and the traffic was f'ing terrible (number of people should not have been in my calss) but I got a couple good sessions in and never a warning.

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt 6-speed/ performance pack Oxford white
Update, full tilt boogie has released a diff cooler

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Am i missing something with the full tilt boogie kit? How exactly does air travel through the cooler when it's butted against the floor like that?

Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Yes, it's offset from the bottom with a fan that draws fresh air through the cooler. I think Steeda has a similar setup with the cooler inside the car.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
By offset you mean there is a gap between the body and the cooler? If there is, it's pretty small!
I'm sure they've done their research, and it works. Just looks a bit tight.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
By offset you mean there is a gap between the body and the cooler? If there is, it's pretty small!
I'm sure they've done their research, and it works. Just looks a bit tight.
I had the same thought. I'm sure they don't want it hanging lower to keep it away from any possible debris, but I'd rather have a bigger gap than that
Sponsored