Sponsored

Loud clicking under acceleration

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Its literally your spark plugs, not your tune. :headbonk:
I don't get this. There are no moving parts on a spark plug. The only clicking noise I've ever heard from a plug is electrical arcing, like when a plug lead is loose, or if the plug's insulator is cracked. That clicking is nowhere near loud enough to hear in the cabin under acceleration. Further, in either one of those cases you'll get a misfire since you'll get insufficient spark in the combustion chamber. Can you elaborate on what you mean?

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I wont sit here and try to convince you that its the plugs, but i invite you to do some digging in this forum. search "clicking" and you will see that plugs can be the fix, not always but theres a possiblity. The ecoboost from the factory has frequent cases of plugs being unproperly gapped. literally took me 30 minutes to check them and replace them.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I wont sit here and try to convince you that its the plugs, but i invite you to do some digging in this forum. search "clicking" and you will see that plugs can be the fix, not always but theres a possiblity. The ecoboost from the factory has frequent cases of plugs being unproperly gapped. literally took me 30 minutes to check them and replace them.
I'm not asking you to convince me it's the plugs. I'm asking you to explain the mechanism where a faulty or improperly gapped plug can make a clicking sound. If you're saying a bad plug can cause engine knock (detonation) I understand that, but that's not the same thing as saying a plug is making a noise.

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I'm not asking you to convince me it's the plugs. I'm asking you to explain the mechanism where a faulty or improperly gapped plug can make a clicking sound. If you're saying a bad plug can cause engine knock (detonation) I understand that, but that's not the same thing as saying a plug is making a noise.
Im not a mechanic so I will not explain the mechanical aspects, i'll tell you however i experienced heavy clicking especially under throttle.

this was fixed after replacing the plugs. the factory spark plugs were anywhere from .20 to .33.

it takes 30 minutes to check. you do you though :cheers:

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Im not a mechanic so I will not explain the mechanical aspects, i'll tell you however i experienced heavy clicking especially under throttle.

this was fixed after replacing the plugs. the factory spark plugs were anywhere from .20 to .33.

it takes 30 minutes to check. you do you though :cheers:
Dude(ette), I'm not trying to put you on the spot, I'm trying to understand the problem. If I have a problem I want to understand what's happening before I start making repairs. Not that I don't enjoy mucking about under the hood, mind you, but replacing/repairing things because it MIGHT fix a problem seems like a waste of time. :frusty:

But that's just me being me.

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
Once plug gas is out of the question, Could this be a case of faulty / sticking injector(s)?

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost, Premium, Auto, PP
Did the frequency increase with speed and/or RPM?
Not sure as it was at the top of first gear when I was expecting it to shift into second and as soon as I heard it I came off the throttle.

Can you feel it?

I did not feel it. Well I take that back...there was an immediate tension in my sphincter.

How loud?

Loud enough to hear over high rev and an audio book.

Did you notice any decrease in performance?

It did seem to dog or at least level off but I let off pretty quickly at which point it stopped.

Consider recording data next time it happens
I would prefer not to recreate it or vent my block but I did put my AP back in and it will have data if it happens again.

Datalux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost, Premium, Auto, PP
Its literally your spark plugs, not your tune. :headbonk:
check your spark plugs, mine used to make that clicking noise under full throttle until i replaced them.
Really?? I'm running Denso ITV22's which were gaped correctly. I can't imagine anything relating to a plug making that noise unless it broke off and was banging around in the cylinder. :eek: It's only done it once so far and I have had it at full throttle several times since, just not in first gear.

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Throw some redline in your fuel tank and be done.

Sponsored

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Could just be the direct injection clacking.

Elgyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost, MT, DIB, Premium, PP
the catalytic could be crack

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros