Sponsored

Warped Rotors Already?

TaylorJames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
About three weeks ago I noticed a slightly irregular/pulsing brake feel as I was coming to a stop and I attributed it to street surface. Lately it has gotten worse, I can definitely feel a pulsing brake feel on smooth surface streets as I am coming to a stop as well as on the freeway under hard braking. Feels like the rotors are warped at 5700 miles already? Ive only tracked it once at Buttonwillow, brakes never overheated. I just dropped off my car at Ford, we'll see what they say. Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
I had a buddy who tracks hard and had that happen to him but they also had micro cracks.

Did you seat your brakes properly when you got the car?

OP
OP

TaylorJames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I am the first owner however the car already had 1300 miles on it because the owner of the dealership drove the car a little bit. The brakes would have been seated in that time. They seemed good when I got the car. Pedal feel was immediate and smooth. Would the dealer be looking for micro cracks or would I need to do that myself?

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
If they have micro cracks, then they should fall under the warranty, as that is not considered normal wear.

Essex Wire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350 Tech Pkg
In general, actually "warped" rotors, were the metal itself deforms, are very, very rare; especially the monster rotors we have on the GT350. It would take serious heat - beyond normal track use -- to do that.

It's more likely that you have uneven deposit of pad material on the rotor. One way to get rid of this is to try "bedding in" the brakes again - per the pad mfr's instructions.

Otherwise, given the repeated "pulsing" you mention it might be an issue with your ABS.

Sponsored

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
I am the first owner however the car already had 1300 miles on it because the owner of the dealership drove the car a little bit. The brakes would have been seated in that time. They seemed good when I got the car. Pedal feel was immediate and smooth. Would the dealer be looking for micro cracks or would I need to do that myself?
hmm I would say bring it up to the dealership see what they say.

If they have micro cracks, then they should fall under the warranty, as that is not considered normal wear.
But thats under regular driving under tracking conditions not sure about that.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hmm I would say bring it up to the dealership see what they say.

But thats under regular driving under tracking conditions not sure about that.
I agree, but they still shouldn't crack. Now, if they are just warped.. it could be hit and miss. I have actually had rotors replaced under warranty for being warped. Now, if you wear a groove into them, or have worn out pads, that is another story.

Must_Tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gone-2016 Mustang GT Premium
Have you checked your wheel torque? Uneven torque on the lug nuts can cause this. Make sure you check them when the wheels have cooled off.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
+1 on rotors warping being VERY unlikely and 99.9% sure it's uneven pad deposits.

This is why it's important to do a cooldown lap and NOT park the car with an E-brake after doing a session. It will go away if you do another pad bed in procedure, or your next session on track if you give it a proper cooldown lap.

I'm going to assume stock pads? Aftermarket pads can make this worse.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Take the rotors off and use an air gun with a scotch green type pad on it and clean off the rotor EVENLY and briskly. I go in a consistent cross-hatch being careful not to leave the pad contact surface. Put it back on, do a bedding procedure from 60 to 10 a few times. I had to do this after my first time using big boy track pads after my track day as I roasted the living poop out of them trying to be billy bad ass and left some deposit. Issue was solved. Can just use a scotch pad by hand or even sand paper, but that's annoying.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That too. I just always assume that everyone cools their brakes down after a session. But maybe not.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Also, if you feel the vibration in the seat, typically rear. Feel it in the steering wheel, front.
Sponsored