Sponsored

what are you guys using for track video & data?

censport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW M3/2011 BMW X5/ 2017 GT350R
i'm doing my first track day in the R later this month and would like to get a camera setup going with some data overlay on the screen and maybe an external mic so i can capture the engine noise and not get a bunch of wind noise. any suggestions?

i have seen a video of someone on here in an R at barber with a nice setup (sans data overlay) but the video and sound were great. i can't remember who it was or where to find the video.

thanks in advance.
Sponsored

OP
OP

censport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
for example this: [ame]

anyone know who this is on the forum or recognize the overlay?

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
I don't know who it is, but the software is RaceRender,
http://racerender.com/RR3/Features.html

I have a GoPro setup and I use a RaceCapture/Track, https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/racecapture/ for data.

It all depends on what you need. If you don't need tach, some of the newer Garmin VIRB and GoPro cameras already have speed, GPS and gyro built in. Just need the RaceRender software and you can make all the videos you want. Even has support for multiple camera views.

PencilGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR278, 2008 BMW M3
for example this:

anyone know who this is on the forum or recognize the overlay?
My guess that it's AIM Solo DL because it looks much better and higher resolution on the gauges than Harry's Lap Timer. AIM Solo also has some very limit CAN bus integration that gets you RPM. But let me emphasize, AIM solo is very limited, and they actually have some of the CAN bus stuff wrong for GT350R. Video VBox also has support for GT350R, but I haven't looked at it yet.

A lot depends on your budget. If you can drop $3000, then Video vBox with CAN bus integration will do it. I can give you a file to load into the vBox for complete CAN bus integration that has all the gauges you need. With the vBox, you can also get the Video VBox that has one or more camera's. The only problem with this route is often I find the Video VBox rendering options lacking what you can do by yourself with a VBox + GoPro + RaceRenderer software. If you go that route, then you can do anything you want, design the gauges any way you want, and get as many gauges on the screen as you want (provided they appear on the CAN bus). If you're not on a budget and can dump $3000, this is by far the best option for you.

Here's an example of VBox + GoPro + RaceRenderer on a BMW M3. All of the gauges you see in the video are real data taken from the CAN bus -- including tach lights, gear selection, traction control, gas gauge, volt gauge, etc.

[ame]

OP
OP

censport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know who it is, but the software is RaceRender,
http://racerender.com/RR3/Features.html

I have a GoPro setup and I use a RaceCapture/Track, https://www.autosportlabs.com/product/racecapture/ for data.

It all depends on what you need. If you don't need tach, some of the newer Garmin VIRB and GoPro cameras already have speed, GPS and gyro built in. Just need the RaceRender software and you can make all the videos you want. Even has support for multiple camera views.
thanks for the reply guys. yea, i am not wanting to come close to even 1,000 bucks for what i want to capture. maybe i'll just go with a garmin or gopro, racerender software, and an external mic that i can put inside the car.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
RaceChrono pro and OBDlink MX bluetooth for datalogging and overlay data.

PencilGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR278, 2008 BMW M3
thanks for the reply guys. yea, i am not wanting to come close to even 1,000 bucks for what i want to capture. maybe i'll just go with a garmin or gopro, racerender software, and an external mic that i can put inside the car.
IMO, $1000 barely covers anything that I would consider workable. AIM Solo-DL is about $700, then you'll need a GoPro on top of that. I'm assuming you posted that video because you wanted everything in it (most importantly tachometer). If you don't need the tach, then there's many lower priced tools available. If you do want the tach, then AIM Solo-DL is probably the cheapest you'll find that can capture it.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. The Solo-DL will sample at 10 Hz. Your cell phone or other low cost GPS devices will sample at 1-5 Hz. This may (probably will) make a visual difference on the final video you want to generate.

RaceChrono pro and OBDlink MX bluetooth for datalogging and overlay data.
Wasn't there a guy on here who tried this approach and reported about 2.5 seconds lag for the OBDLink MX? I never saw if he found a solution or not for the lag.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
IMO, $1000 barely covers anything that I would consider workable. AIM Solo-DL is about $700, then you'll need a GoPro on top of that. I'm assuming you posted that video because you wanted everything in it (most importantly tachometer). If you don't need the tach, then there's many lower priced tools available. If you do want the tach, then AIM Solo-DL is probably the cheapest you'll find that can capture it.

Just remember, you get what you pay for. The Solo-DL will sample at 10 Hz. Your cell phone or other low cost GPS devices will sample at 1-5 Hz. This may (probably will) make a visual difference on the final video you want to generate.

Wasn't there a guy on here who tried this approach and reported about 2.5 seconds lag for the OBDLink MX? I never saw if he found a solution or not for the lag.
I experienced no lag with the device. The GPS receiver in use will be the weak link if you ask me. I use a GOPRO and an S7 for video and GPS data and they both read pretty close to one another. I did experience some GPS lag on an older phone, an S5 but not with the GOPRO or the S7.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I use Harry's Lap Timer with my iphone 5S, but the iphone video sucks. Very choppy and bouncy. I typically suction cup mount the phone to the windshield, which prevents annoying wind noise, so I have good sound and good field of view, but the choppiness is excruciating.

I've also used a goPro with no telemetry, but externally mounted. That gave good video but crappy sound due to the wind noise.

I am still looking for a better solution, but I don't have the patience for the more complicated setups. For me, it needs to be similar in complexity to Harry's (which I like quite a bit - just enough data to make things interesting). My friend uses the Aim Solo I think. Works well when he remembers everything, but a little more fussy to deal with.

I figure that if I get a better phone someday, maybe the solution will naturally occur.

-T

Sponsored
OP
OP

censport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
I tried to get a can bus cable to connect my AIM smartycam. No such animal exists (yet) I was told.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
From what I've read the Waylens isn't so great. I believe one of the big downsides was claims of overheating and poor battery life. Battery can be taken care of by hardwiring. They also complained of the mount as well. Seems like a good idea with not the best execution.

Using Race Render for putting the data and video together. GoPro for video, Track Addict on the iphone for data coupled to Kiwi OBD reader. No problems thus far. Here is a good tip for easy syncing of data and video - place the screen of your phone in view of the GoPro (though this tip only works for certain GoPro mounting locations inside the car).

Last edited:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
From what I've read the Waylens isn't so great. I believe one of the big downsides was claims of overheating and poor battery life. Battery can be taken care of by hardwiring. They also complained of the mount as well. Seems like a good idea with not the best execution.

Using Race Render for putting the data and video together. GoPro for video, Track Addict on the iphone for data coupled to Kiwi OBD reader. No problems thus far. Here is a good tip for easy sinking of data and video - place the screen of your phone in view of the GoPro (though this tip only works for certain GoPro mounting locations inside the car).
Please elaborate on the syncing part
Sponsored