Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
It's good to know that this can work if needed.
Sponsored

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
That sounds good in theory, but... The weight of the screw is also partially offset by the weight of the rest of the clamp, (the band) so how much weight would you really have to add? How much will the tack weigh? Without precision balancing tools, I don't think it is feasible to determine how much weight is needed.
In my case, one hose clamp was too heavy! I had to add a second one and separate them quite a bit, so that they ALMOST cancel each other out.

The "on the car" method is a fair bit of trial and error. It would be very difficult to weld weights on, without having proper tools, and perhaps even removing the entire assembly to balance on proper balancing tools.

My hose clamps are well marked and photographed. They haven't budged since installation in Aug 2016. If they ever do, I can replace them quickly.

And as far as looking cheesy? I don't see them. I haven't been under the back of my car in over a year. :)
I agree with ABS550 on the tack welding...

I have a minor beef with ABS's description of the necessary weight determination. I'm being picky and technocratic - it's the engineer in me.

Over much of the circumference, the band doesn't change anything. This is because a continuous band adds mass over the full circumference of the DS and the added masses cancel. But there is a fly in the ointment...

Through the screw assembly out through the trailing end of the band, there are TWO layers of band. So, near the screw, mass is being added by the screw, the screw enclosure and one of the two layers of the band.

Theoretically, the moment of inertia (which dictates the mass needed) of hose clamp tightened to a specific ID could be 3D modeled with the material mass/density properties. After modelling the overall measured mass of the clamp can be compared with the calculated mass as a sanity check. However, I would think that manufacturing tolerances in the screw, thickness of the band, etc. would make this valid only for the hose clamp from which the 3D model was created. In short, ballpark at best...

All in all, I believe the two hose clamp approach procedure I wrote up somewhere in this thread (which is the same method ABS550 used), is the right way to go if you choose to fix this yourself.... But as I said in the write-up, I caution that I ran my car up to 70 MPH on jackstands. Not the safest thing in the world to do... If your car falls off the stands, runs through the wall of your garage then runs over your cat, don't come cryin' to me... :D

John

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Car dropped of at Ford. Got a rental car without asking was encouraging. They said they will put the nvh analyzer on the car for testing. I'll report back any findings of run around lol gave them ssm 45938, also mentioned balancing driveshaft with hose clamp.

Last edited:

Saber7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Automatic
I agree with ABS550 on the tack welding...

I have a minor beef with ABS's description of the necessary weight determination. I'm being picky and technocratic - it's the engineer in me.

Over much of the circumference, the band doesn't change anything. This is because a continuous band adds mass over the full circumference of the DS and the added masses cancel. But there is a fly in the ointment...

Through the screw assembly out through the trailing end of the band, there are TWO layers of band. So, near the screw, mass is being added by the screw, the screw enclosure and one of the two layers of the band.

Theoretically, the moment of inertia (which dictates the mass needed) of hose clamp tightened to a specific ID could be 3D modeled with the material mass/density properties. After modelling the overall measured mass of the clamp can be compared with the calculated mass as a sanity check. However, I would think that manufacturing tolerances in the screw, thickness of the band, etc. would make this valid only for the hose clamp from which the 3D model was created. In short, ballpark at best...

All in all, I believe the two hose clamp approach procedure I wrote up somewhere in this thread (which is the same method ABS550 used), is the right way to go if you choose to fix this yourself.... But as I said in the write-up, I caution that I ran my car up to 70 MPH on jackstands. Not the safest thing in the world to do... If your car falls off the stands, runs through the wall of your garage then runs over your cat, don't come cryin' to me... :D

John
OMG I can t believe you did that on stands! lol

Saber7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car dropped of at Ford. Got a rental car without asking was encouraging. They said they will put the nvh analyzer on the car for testing. I'll report back any findings of run around lol gave them ssm 45938, also mentioned balancing driveshaft with hose clamp.

Your approaching it the way you should. They know your informed and the SSMs pretty much steer them in the right direction. A friend of mine took his 2015 5.0 in and they told him it was tires without serious consideration of the Drive shaft . But he went in there with his opinion no Forum info no SSMs. So I gave him the info for the second time and I believe he may take it to my Ford dealer.

Sponsored

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
"OMG I can t believe you did that on stands! lol"

Yup. Me too. That's how it's done when you don't have a hoist.
(My front wheels were on ramps)
The benefit is that any vibrations are not dampened with the rubber of the tires. So you can feel it even more, which helps with the balancing.
I am sure I ran mine to at least 70 Mph. Maybe 80 or 85. I can't remember now.

John, part of the hose clamp band has slots in it to mate with the screw and part of the band is solid. So yes, that makes it even harder to duplicate exactly how much weight the screw is adding. I like your technical explanation!
Blake

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Another thought, although messing with your warranty, is to pull your DS and take it to an independent shop. We have a DS shop in town that's pretty good. They actually spot weld washers in place to balance.
At least have them run a balance check. If Ford cannot figure it out, you might have to grab the bull by its horns and ride it.
Just a thought.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Unless they just now updated the driveshafts I can tell you this will not fix the issue. I have had 2 put in my car and the vibration is back now worse than ever and its back at the F***** dealers again. Tired of this shit and my days are numbered with this car if its not fixed this next time I get it back. 2 driveshafts, carrier bushings, rear end and drive axles and its worse so.....
Another thought, although messing with your warranty, is to pull your DS and take it to an independent shop. We have a DS shop in town that's pretty good. They actually spot weld washers in place to balance.
At least have them run a balance check. If Ford cannot figure it out, you might have to grab the bull by its horns and ride it.
Just a thought.

That may or may not fix the issue. I'm still convinced it's either one of many components (subframe alignment , pinions , wheels, driveshaft , half shafts , etc... ) or tolerance stacking of a combination that causes the issue, and it's a different across different cars.

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Just a thought.
You really need to balance the whole assembly together. Some have tried a new aftermarket DS which would come balanced already and their vibration is no better.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Why not tack weld metal of the exact weight of the clamp in the exact location of the clamp location so it looks original! Hose clamps look cheezie and are not a permanent mount!
The hose clamp fix approach is actually what's shown in the Ford Service Manual to balance the drive shaft.

Sponsored

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
"OMG I can t believe you did that on stands! lol"

Yup. Me too. That's how it's done when you don't have a hoist.
(My front wheels were on ramps)
The benefit is that any vibrations are not dampened with the rubber of the tires. So you can feel it even more, which helps with the balancing.
I am sure I ran mine to at least 70 Mph. Maybe 80 or 85. I can't remember now.

John, part of the hose clamp band has slots in it to mate with the screw and part of the band is solid. So yes, that makes it even harder to duplicate exactly how much weight the screw is adding. I like your technical explanation!
Blake
Good point about the slots!

John

lugz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
For my Dynotech DS, I used a pair of tiny, tiny washers blue taped at various orientations on the DS until I found the best combination, then used them under the appropriate pinion yoke bolts. As others have said, even the slightest change in weight can be felt when the car is on stands. Because it's such a tedious, iterative process, there's really no other sane way of doing it. The aftermarket DS is likely balanced to perfection, but the imbalance in the massive factory yoke throws it off.

GrabberBlue5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT performance Pack
My brand new 2017 GT PP had this issue from day 1. Brought it to the dealer and took a tech for a ride. He felt it and they had me reschedule to roadforce my tires. No improvement. Service manager and I took out another 2017 mustang they had in stock that was a trade in with 700 miles on it and we felt no vibration. They took that driveshaft, and swapped it into my car and it fixed it. Hopefully they order a new shaft for the other car or the next owner is going to be rattled out of their seat lmao

Saber7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My brand new 2017 GT PP had this issue from day 1. Brought it to the dealer and took a tech for a ride. He felt it and they had me reschedule to roadforce my tires. No improvement. Service manager and I took out another 2017 mustang they had in stock that was a trade in with 700 miles on it and we felt no vibration. They took that driveshaft, and swapped it into my car and it fixed it. Hopefully they order a new shaft for the other car or the next owner is going to be rattled out of their seat lmao
CASE AND POINT

NothernVAMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT white
Can someone describe how the vibration feels? I'm not sure if I'm getting vibrations or if it's just the road
Sponsored