bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Yes rewarding. Challenger is generating sales comparable to Mustang and Camaro with a lower overall investment (body based on some old Mercedes platform that was fully cost amortized when the built the first Challenger) and hasn't been substantially updated since. Imagine the profits (really return on investment) compared to Ford and GM. Yes, FCA is a train wreck overall, but that doesn't mean they aren't killing it here and with the minivans and with Jeep. Clearly, the Mustang and Camaro are better performance cars. But buyers are rewarding FCA (by buying Challengers) for their low investment, at about the same rate as they are Ford and GM for their high investments. If I were a businessman, I'd love to get a roughly equal sales rate with less money spent. I don't think I'm the only one with this opinion, but if I am, that's ok.
As an ex-Fiat employee, I can tell you that they probably spent just as much as Ford did on development, even with a shared base. Not the most organized company out there. There are now rumors that they are going to sell to the Chinese. That will make things interesting.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Yep, my bad, too much Scotch in the water, you can order from current production or on the lot. Not all dealers do X-Plan though. Valley Isle Motors on Maui does not.
Most dealers do X-plan. It works out to their benefit on most cars. Most dealers also offer you the current extra incentives on X-plan when your car arrives (if you ordered the car). I didn't even have to ask. My dealer offered.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
While selling overall less cars isn't a win, what I do find impressive is that Challenger sales have steadily increased since 2009. 2017 looks to be its best year to date.

I'm really curious about what is driving this upward trend for the Challenger. The body styling looks basically the same as it did when the car debut almost 10 years ago. The Demon and Hellcats offer incredible horsepower, but I believe represent only a small fraction of the Challenger sales. It can't just be marketing, so what's the secret behind its constant upward trend?

If I'm Chrysler, I've gotta be happy to see sales constantly climb on a 10 year old platform, which aside from the Hellcat and Demon, hasn't had much in any form of major updates.
The numbers show that Dodge had a couple stagnant years. When you start so low, it is easy to go up, IMO. I think the numbers really show that the mustang redesign was a stellar hit, aside from what the other guy said. The redesign boosted sales numbers far beyond that of the competition, and then things started to stabilize again. I doubt anyone in Ford is really upset about the S550 overall numbers. They probably also realize they couldn't stay that high forever.
As for Dodge, I am sure the incentives are part of what keeps them increasing sales. Ford just doesn't compete in that department. Hell, you can even lease a Hellcat for a reasonable price, while Ford doesn't even want to lease a GT. Even I was tempted to pick up a Challenger with the deals out there, and I really didn't want a Challenger.

FocusRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
Mustang >>>>> Challenger

Camaro vs Mustang is the game. Heck, when's the last time you've even looked at Challenger vs Mustang comparo? Right, because on the track the Challenger is a total joke.

Laughable.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Dodge in my opinion has simply did the best job of marketing. They create a ton of buzz with special models like the Demon. And they market cool. Just think about the Demon commercials. Or the Dodge boy commercials where they are tear assing thru a picnic! When was the last time you seen a Mustang commercial that grabber your attention? But at least we're not Camaro. Their advertising is dopey at best! Here's my favorite Mustang commercial of the last 5 years.

Marketing has been huge. I would bet anything if you surveyed people quite a few would know of the Hellcat and most would not even know what a ZL1 is.

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Mustang >>>>> Challenger

Camaro vs Mustang is the game. Heck, when's the last time you've even looked at Challenger vs Mustang comparo? Right, because on the track the Challenger is a total joke.

Laughable.
Okay, I'll bite.

On what "track" do most people take their Mustang?

Hint: It's a quarter mile long, no turns, and has timing sensors. That's where the Challenger is competitive with the Mustang. That's why the Scat Pack is more popular than ever and sells so well.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Okay, I'll bite.

Hint: It's a quarter mile long, no turns, and has timing sensors. That's where the Challenger is competitive with the Mustang. That's why the Scat Pack is more popular than ever and sells so well.
More like how many of these cars even make it to a track in their lifetimes :lol:

Look no further than here we have people who won't go over 3k rpm, only drive and race part throttle, people freaking out they hit 7k rpm (oh no!!!!). Scat pack is nice though as you can sit on the forums and say the car is faster than anything else because it makes more power! You can beat any car on this forum and you don't even need to get in the car wow! :hail:

Though you can win any forum race with the 40k supercar as well :amen:

FocusRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
Okay, I'll bite.

One example:
https://www.fordperformanceracingschool.com/en/

So many more you can google them.

So Dodge decides to give away a screaming lease deal on an auto retro muscle car it's suddenly in the conversation? LOL. Too funny.

Show me all those comparisons again? Oh wait, it goes like this:

GT350 vs M2
Mustang GT vs Camaro SS

Sorry Charlie, Dodge is a joke. It's Mustang vs Camaro for a reason. Like Michigan vs Ohio State or Duke/NC.

You ain't in the club. Sales, fine. Government bailout, fine. Italian owned, fine. Previously German. What's next, Korean? LOL.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
One example:
https://www.fordperformanceracingschool.com/en/

So many more you can google them.

So Dodge decides to give away a screaming lease deal on an auto retro muscle car it's suddenly in the conversation? LOL. Too funny.

Show me all those comparisons again? Oh wait, it goes like this:

GT350 vs M2
Mustang GT vs Camaro SS

Sorry Charlie, Dodge is a joke. It's Mustang vs Camaro for a reason. Like Michigan vs Ohio State or Duke/NC.

You ain't in the club. Sales, fine. Government bailout, fine. Italian owned, fine. Previously German. What's next, Korean? LOL.

Okay, let's unpack that more.

How many people here or over on SVT have gone to the Ford Racing School?

How many people here have taken their Mustang to MRLS, Thunder Hill, Chuckwalla or likewise?

Now compare that to how many have taken their Mustang to their local drag strip.

You can spin it any way you want and do any mental gymnastics you can convince yourself is needed, it doesn't change facts. The Challenger is competitive with the Mustang on the drag strip, which is where the majority of people who actually will race their cars, which itself is a minority, will do so.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Looks like Team Camaro is looking to catch up
New Camaro 17K.
FFS that's giving them away!

Guess that puts an end to C6Gs argument about higher margins/ profit per vehicle!

If I were in the market I'd almost be tempted.
Just for comparison
Cheapest Mustang on Autotrader $19K
Cheapest Challenger on Autotrader $21k

I think it's safe to say that on a 15 year old platform that was probably amortized under Mercedes with no significant body changes since 09 and the highest transaction price for base models Dodge is killing it on profit per car. with them still selling strong and the company still being a basketcase financially, I wouldn't pay to update it either

Last edited:

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
New Camaro 17K.

Guess that puts an end to C6Gs argument about higher margins/ profit per vehicle!

Just for comparison

I think it's safe to say that on a 15 year old platform that was probably amortized under Mercedes with no significant body changes since 09 and the highest transaction price for base models Dodge is killing it on profit per car. with them still selling strong and the company still being a basketcase financially, I wouldn't pay to update it either

It would make a cheap, fun-ugly daily driver.

Last edited:

gmichaelj1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang
Okay, let's unpack that more.

How many people here or over on SVT have gone to the Ford Racing School?

How many people here have taken their Mustang to MRLS, Thunder Hill, Chuckwalla or likewise?

Now compare that to how many have taken their Mustang to their local drag strip.

You can spin it any way you want and do any mental gymnastics you can convince yourself is needed, it doesn't change facts. The Challenger is competitive with the Mustang on the drag strip, which is where the majority of people who actually will race their cars, which itself is a minority, will do so.
Agreed. I've never seen data on how many people take their cars to a drag strip. But I’m pretty sure about 99% of buyers purchase these cars for things other racing, although performance has to be there so they can say "I got a Mustang V-8" or whatever. Besides performance and styling there are other factors like financing, but that's even harder to know, the impact of advertising, which is very subjective. Going forward, it will be interesting to see the impact that performance and styling, from this 2018 refresh, will have on sales numbers.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
My point isn't to say that the Challenger is "a contendah" in the turns or on a tight technical race track, because it isn't, and wasn't meant to be.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
New Camaro 17K.

Just for comparison

Well the car only costs like 5k to make so yeah big profits :lol::hail::lol:

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Marketing has been huge. I would bet anything if you surveyed people quite a few would know of the Hellcat and most would not even know what a ZL1 is.
Most would say. I think I seen those letters on the side of a pick up truck.
Sponsored