Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
When the "hose clamp" method is used are there weights added, or is just the hose clamp adjustment screw the "weight"?
Sponsored

Saber7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Automatic
When the "hose clamp" method is used are there weights added, or is just the hose clamp adjustment screw the "weight"?
Look to the right of the clamp looks like a weight but i didn't get under there and take before pics probably should have but I didn't. Service guy said he worked on balancing for a while.

shahram72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shahram
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 auto Foundry pkg.
Yeah when are we gonna see a class action lawsuit? I know they are mostly money makers for lawyers but I would still get in on one. Someone has to have spoken to a lawyer already. There must be no money in it for a lawyer or it would have already happened. We have reports of 2017 models with vibes, right? I'm betting 2018 will be no different. There are TWO groups of car buyers you don't hose, one is trucks, and the other is sports models, because WE are the repeat buyers. All the other models, there is almost no loyalty.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Yeah when are we gonna see a class action lawsuit? I know they are mostly money makers for lawyers but I would still get in on one. Someone has to have spoken to a lawyer already. There must be no money in it for a lawyer or it would have already happened. We have reports of 2017 models with vibes, right? I'm betting 2018 will be no different. There are TWO groups of car buyers you don't hose, one is trucks, and the other is sports models, because WE are the repeat buyers. All the other models, there is almost no loyalty.
Hard to do a class action on a problem like this when you can LL it so easily. Why don't you do the BB autoline thing? It's really easy. Or, just trade it. Lots of left over 17's that dealers are heavily discounting.

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It is just the adjustment screw that is the weight. Any other weights on the shaft are from factory.
You would be astonished how much effect the small weight of the hose-clamp has. I balanced mine close to perfection, but if you simply rotate the hose clamp to the opposite side to where it should be, your car feels like it has a bowling ball strapped to the DS.
I didn't think it could have such a profound effect until I tried it.

It really goes to show that if the balance isn't within a very small tolerance, then it will be noticeable.

Read through my posts on pages 118 and 119.
Cheers.

Sponsored

Lwgoudey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost
New member, I purchased my 2016 ecoboost mustang on September 3 2016 and it started vibrating in January. I have taken it to the dealership many times. They road force balanced the tires twice then replaced them and road force balanced again. Replaced the driveshaft and did not balance the new one. They told me it was fixed. They actually made it worse. Now they treat me like I am crazy. They say the vehicle is operating within spec. Ford FSE said this is normal for this car! If this is the case why did they try to fix it. I filed a claim with BBB, they gave ford 30 days to fix it. I took it in and they said they drove it 39 miles and could not duplicate the concern. I went back to BBB they then sided with ford and said they believe ford fixed it when they replaced the driveshaft. At this point I have given up on ford and will fix it myself. Funny I still love this car but will never buy another ford. For those of you looking for a answer to this problem I found a tool that will help. It's not cheap but it's a very good tool. Check it out here http://vibratesoftware.com

Saber7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New member, I purchased my 2016 ecoboost mustang on September 3 2016 and it started vibrating in January. I have taken it to the dealership many times. They road force balanced the tires twice then replaced them and road force balanced again. Replaced the driveshaft and did not balance the new one. They told me it was fixed. They actually made it worse. Now they treat me like I am crazy. They say the vehicle is operating within spec. Ford FSE said this is normal for this car! If this is the case why did they try to fix it. I filed a claim with BBB, they gave ford 30 days to fix it. I took it in and they said they drove it 39 miles and could not duplicate the concern. I went back to BBB they then sided with ford and said they believe ford fixed it when they replaced the driveshaft. At this point I have given up on ford and will fix it myself. Funny I still love this car but will never buy another ford. For those of you looking for a answer to this problem I found a tool that will help. It's not cheap but it's a very good tool. Check it out here http://vibratesoftware.com
While it appears that there is some nice info built into the app as far as specific car specs, I am struggling to appreciate how a cell phone is going to be able to determine the difference between rough road surface and actual drive-line problems by only connecting the cell phone to a glass windshield. It would seem that you would want to monitor actual locations on the chassis to accurately reflect where the sounds are coming from verses generally overall vibrations from the windshield.

Lwgoudey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost
While it appears that there is some nice info built into the app as far as specific car specs, I am struggling to appreciate how a cell phone is going to be able to determine the difference between rough road surface and actual drive-line problems by only connecting the cell phone to a glass windshield. It would seem that you would want to monitor actual locations on the chassis to accurately reflect where the sounds are coming from verses generally overall vibrations from the windshield.
Vehicle vibrations are caused by unbalanced parts rotating, road noise is random. I purchased this app and have used it on several vehicles and it is quite accurate. Not trying to sell it to anyone just a suggestion.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
well my sound only turned into vibrations :( my hands now feel tingly after a 40 minute drive. yay

what are my other options rather then dealing with ford? I mean, can i take this to a mechanic and tell them to just balance the drive shaft and be done

Saber7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well my sound only turned into vibrations :( my hands now feel tingly after a 40 minute drive. yay

what are my other options rather then dealing with ford? I mean, can i take this to a mechanic and tell them to just balance the drive shaft and be done
i would really try to make sure the DS is balanced before wasting any time on anything else. Mine seems to be fixed as a result. whether you do this ultimately is up to you but in my case at least at present my 16 GT seems to be fixed as a result of the drive shaft being balanced .

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Other options:
1) Lemon Law
2) Ford Buy Back (via Lemon Law or BBB filing)
3) Sell/trade in the vehicle
4) Take it to a specialty drivetrain shop and pay out of pocket for the repair.
5) Try the balancing techniques outlined in this very thread where others have had some success.
6) Try shimming down the transmission mount as outlined by @BMR in other threads on this site where folks have had success.

Taking it to any other common mechanics shop (or "box" named shop such as Meineke, PepBoys, Firestone, etc) - would be worthless, as you would have to rely on some mechanic trying to determine a problem that they are NOT well versed in and have NO insight to the internal Ford docs relating to the problem.

As much of a PIA it really is, take it to Ford and be persistent - IT IS A WARRANTY ISSUE. Call and get a Ford CSR involved - the more you have it documented the better. I can't stress it enough to get a CSR involved more so if you're not getting results from your Dealer.

A full length driveshaft also has not been conclusive to fixing the problem... not yet at least, because there are threads on here where members have bought X-brand full length DS and the problem still existed after install. So save the $800-$1k for now...

Those are your real options without any sarcasm or preaching.

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
i would really try to make sure the DS is balanced before wasting any time on anything else. Mine seems to be fixed as a result. whether you do this ultimately is up to you but in my case at least at present my 16 GT seems to be fixed as a result of the drive shaft being balanced .
:cheers:

Other options:
1) Lemon Law
2) Ford Buy Back (via Lemon Law or BBB filing)
3) Sell/trade in the vehicle
4) Take it to a specialty drivetrain shop and pay out of pocket for the repair.
5) Try the balancing techniques outlined in this very thread where others have had some success.
6) Try shimming down the transmission mount as outlined by @BMR in other threads on this site where folks have had success.

Taking it to any other common mechanics shop (or "box" named shop such as Meineke, PepBoys, Firestone, etc) - would be worthless, as you would have to rely on some mechanic trying to determine a problem that they are NOT well versed in and have NO insight to the internal Ford docs relating to the problem.

As much of a PIA it really is, take it to Ford and be persistent - IT IS A WARRANTY ISSUE. Call and get a Ford CSR involved - the more you have it documented the better. I can't stress it enough to get a CSR involved more so if you're not getting results from your Dealer.

A full length driveshaft also has not been conclusive to fixing the problem... not yet at least, because there are threads on here where members have bought X-brand full length DS and the problem still existed after install. So save the $800-$1k for now...

Those are your real options without any sarcasm or preaching.
Thanks man. All really good info.

Im going to have ford take a look @ it. Give it a shot. If not, my buddy and I will try to balance it ourselves with a hose clamp. If that goes no where ill entertain other options. Thanks for the info. This is solid, I'd be lost without this place.

Last edited:

jgedde

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP, M6, Triple Yellow
It is just the adjustment screw that is the weight. Any other weights on the shaft are from factory.
You would be astonished how much effect the small weight of the hose-clamp has. I balanced mine close to perfection, but if you simply rotate the hose clamp to the opposite side to where it should be, your car feels like it has a bowling ball strapped to the DS.
I didn't think it could have such a profound effect until I tried it.

It really goes to show that if the balance isn't within a very small tolerance, then it will be noticeable.

Read through my posts on pages 118 and 119.
Cheers.
ABS550 is right. My car has had the hose clamp (and hose clamp only) on my driveshaft for over a year... Vibration hasn't cropped up since...

J

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Why not tack weld metal of the exact weight of the clamp in the exact location of the clamp location so it looks original! Hose clamps look cheezie and are not a permanent mount!

ABS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Why not tack weld metal of the exact weight of the clamp in the exact location of the clamp location so it looks original! Hose clamps look cheezie and are not a permanent mount!
That sounds good in theory, but... The weight of the screw is also partially offset by the weight of the rest of the clamp, (the band) so how much weight would you really have to add? How much will the tack weigh? Without precision balancing tools, I don't think it is feasible to determine how much weight is needed.
In my case, one hose clamp was too heavy! I had to add a second one and separate them quite a bit, so that they ALMOST cancel each other out.

The "on the car" method is a fair bit of trial and error. It would be very difficult to weld weights on, without having proper tools, and perhaps even removing the entire assembly to balance on proper balancing tools.

My hose clamps are well marked and photographed. They haven't budged since installation in Aug 2016. If they ever do, I can replace them quickly.

And as far as looking cheesy? I don't see them. I haven't been under the back of my car in over a year. :)
Sponsored