So I just got the call from the dealership about my A/C

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
When I dropped it off yesterday evening, I told them I have been smelling freon when cranking the car up after it sat out in the sun all day. I've had the white film on my glass too.
So today they call me and tell me they found a leaking Schrader valve under the hood. So I asked the guy how the hell have I been smelling it? Then he went on to tell me they did a dye check and found it. I asked him if these cars come from the factory with dye already in the freon and he said it does. I find that hard to believe.
Then he tried to tell me Freon was odorless. I called BS on him on that one too, and told him this was not my first rodeo and I have rebuilt the AC system on three other SN95 Mustangs I have had.
"Well, we can keep it a couple of days and test it after it sits out in the sun" OK, fine by me. I want it done right, and now because my warranty is about to expire. I know damned good and well this is the issue. Of course now we are having a "cold spell" with highs in the lower 80's, not the 98-100 days where it leaks out into the vents while parked in the sun all day.
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
why do you doubt that the interior smell of R134 couldnt be from a schrader valve under the hood? The interior air intake is at the base of the windshield so it would pick up odors originating under the hood.

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Because it happened immediately when the fan started blowing, not after it was running long enough to draw in air. And it was just too concentrated. Like it took my breath away concentrated.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Mine just got the schrader valves replaced too. tech notes dye, and sniffer tested to verify.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
This is the bs I don't have time for. You know these AC units are Fked Ford. Stop with the crap and fix his car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I just ordered my own freon sniffer. I'll do some testing myself next week when the temps are back up again.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
I've gone thru 2 evaporator assembly replacements already in this car.

I've never been able to notice a strange smell. What is the white film in the windshield supposed to look like or feel as opposed to an opaque or dirty glass?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I liken it to a sort of smokers haze. Scratch it with your finger and its clear.

Tubalkayne

First Time Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Steeda PP, Competition Orange,
Just got my diagnosis, evaporator core $1775 Plus tax. F you Ford this is highway robbery. I'm going to start a war with them, I will continue to complain to them until they do the right thing. If you paid out of pocket keep your receipt incase they do a recall.

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Anyone know of a you tube video or a guideline on how to pull the dash to do this repair? I've got all the A/C equipment/tools and have done 3 SN95's so far. I have a feeling mine will be on that list next.

Sponsored

Ryan P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jap Crap
So is the white film a sure sign that the core is leaking? I've got a 17 with about ~3k miles and have only used the A/C a few times. But man my windows get some crazy film on them. Interesting.

OP
OP
ScottsGT

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Pay close attention when you first start the car and air blows out of the vents. You'll get the freon chemical smell. Past week when our temps were in the upper 90's, it was really bad. Now with it in the 80's the car isn't getting as hot inside and less pressure on the evap.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Just got my diagnosis, evaporator core $1775 Plus tax. F you Ford this is highway robbery. I'm going to start a war with them, I will continue to complain to them until they do the right thing. If you paid out of pocket keep your receipt incase they do a recall.
Zero chance of a recall. HAS to be a safety issue for recall, not uncomfortable.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
So is the white film a sure sign that the core is leaking? I've got a 17 with about ~3k miles and have only used the A/C a few times. But man my windows get some crazy film on them. Interesting.[/QUOTE/]

It's hard to tell. Evap cores leak even when the a/c is not in use. The soggy windshield could also be caused by outgassing. This is where plastic compounds and glue in components melt with heat inside the cabin of a new car spewing chemicals. Hence, the white film or soggy glass that can't be kept clean. If kept in the garage keep your windows slightly open to air the cabin. In my case I did not see a clearly visible white film in the glass as opposed to other symptoms of evap core failure.