Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
Hmmm, mine was a Y- I wonder what the difference is.
I'm pretty sure the difference has to do with what type you have. The version for GT is different than the version for EcoBoost, etc.
Sponsored

89Trooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm pretty sure the difference has to do with what type you have. The version for GT is different than the version for EcoBoost, etc.
Here's what we've seen as the latest versions:

V - Ecoboost

W - 6-cylinder

Y - GT

Z - GT (RHD)

within1micron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Convertible Ecoboost
I had to have the evaporator replaced on my 2015 Mustang 2.3 convertible with 11,600 miles on it. It took a week to get an appointment because the dealership only had one A/C tech. The service advisor said that the new part is different than the factory installed unit. He went on to state that there have been 20 iterations of the evaporator since the original and each has had problems. He stated that there were instances where the new part failed and had to be changed again. He was unable to tell me the chance of a repeat failure on my car.

Aside from missing a small roll of quarters in the console, the tech at the dealership did a good job. But based on the string of problems that I have had with it, I am not sure how much longer I plan to keep this car.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
The service advisor said that the new part is different than the factory installed unit. He went on to state that there have been 20 iterations of the evaporator since the original and each has had problems.
Wow Ford ... really?! :headbonk: :doh:

White_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Oxford White GT w/PP
My A/C went out last week as well... Same problem as most, bad evaporator core. 2017 GT w/PP @ 11,216 miles. Really takes some enjoyment out of owning this car knowing in the back of my head it's only a matter of time until this happens again. Hopefully next time it will still be within the factory warranty.

Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Over the last 5 days the AC has completely quit cooling. Moved the appt up and dropped it off today.

BTW they gave me an explorer to drive. What a POS. Will appreciate the stang that much more when get it back.

Tubalkayne

First Time Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Steeda PP, Competition Orange,
Well all me to the list, my AC is blowing warmer on the drivers side than the passenger side. Does anyone know if Ford has finally decided to pony up for the cost of this repair as it is obviously defective or am I out a grand to get this fixed?

White_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well all me to the list, my AC is blowing warmer on the drivers side than the passenger side. Does anyone know if Ford has finally decided to pony up for the cost of this repair as it is obviously defective or am I out a grand to get this fixed?
If your factory warranty is no longer valid, you're looking at around $1400 in repair costs. At least that's how much was listed on the invoice last week when mine was replaced at my local dealership.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Dropping mine off this evening for my appointment tomorrow. I thought about asking for the bad core and see if I could get some aftermarket help from Vintage Air or Classic Auto Air about someone making an evap that will actually last.

Tubalkayne

First Time Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
If your factory warranty is no longer valid, you're looking at around $1400 in repair costs. At least that's how much was listed on the invoice last week when mine was replaced at my local dealership.
OUCH!!! I might have to sell this car.

I just talked to the dealership and they told me that if it is the evaporator they will go to ford to get compensation so it shouldn't cost the entire $1400. This is not cool, Ford really needs to suck this up and make it right.

Sponsored

White_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OUCH!!! I might have to sell this car.

I just talked to the dealership and they told me that if it is the evaporator they will go to ford to get compensation so it shouldn't cost the entire $1400. This is not cool, Ford really needs to suck this up and make it right.
Agreed. The thing that worries me is if they ever do announce this as a major issue, the value of our cars is going to drop pretty hard. I'm thinking about ditching mine as well.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
def wont be keeping mine past the ford extended warranty

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
I should have an update on mine soon. Dropped it off this morning. Dealership said the first step is a $220 diagnostic to check it out and purge/refill the system to check for leaks. After that, they'll see what they find.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my car is just barely out of warranty (mileage, not time) so I'm definitely nervous about all of this. That said, when I contacted Ford CS they implied that if it was A/C related, there would be some compensation. Guess we'll see...

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Stealership just called and is saying the service ports were leaking. replaced those and topped off the refrigerant. we'll see...

Tubalkayne

First Time Mustang Owner
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
I should have an update on mine soon. Dropped it off this morning. Dealership said the first step is a $220 diagnostic to check it out and purge/refill the system to check for leaks. After that, they'll see what they find.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my car is just barely out of warranty (mileage, not time) so I'm definitely nervous about all of this. That said, when I contacted Ford CS they implied that if it was A/C related, there would be some compensation. Guess we'll see...
Any word back?
Sponsored