What did you do to your UK S550 Mustang Today

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
Well, the light is split open, so needs resealing together. The wires to contol the DRLs have to go somewhere, they can't exit any stock location, there's a section in our lights that has some tape over it, which is where the US lights have a connector for their lights. As the wires connect to stock wiring harnesses, when they leave the light, you need to have an exit path. What was used was the US stock location (tape cut open) wires then come through the back and is sealed back up with butyl. (See previous post for issue with butyl in this scenario).

As The control unit moves around in the engine bay, even slightly it'll pull and move the butyl and can cause cracks, holes or bubbles in it, overtime it'll just keep causing more wet air to get in, the heat of the lights will kick them up and turn them into condensation, and hey presto, you have a waterfall in your lights.

At FFest (or if i see you before) i'll show you where the tape bit is on stock lights, just so it makes a bit more sense.
Hopefully thanks to the great experimenting that you and Sand has done on your lights, mine will be ok when done in two weeks. Have the rears experienced the same problems as well?
Sponsored

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Met Gr11m this morning and bought a Roush CAI, now fitted it and been for a drive. Car does seem fastest and more responsive but don't know if I'm kidding myself. Now decided that there's yet more stuff I want/need to buy :doh:

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Hopefully thanks to the great experimenting that you and Sand has done on your lights, mine will be ok when done in two weeks. Have the rears experienced the same problems as well?
What I don't get, and what i assume Centurion is alluding to is that if there are vents in the lights then why is the sealing such an issue? I get that they need to be put back together but if the US units are not airtight then why would ours need to be?

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
What I don't get, and what i assume Centurion is alluding to is that if there are vents in the lights then why is the sealing such an issue? I get that they need to be put back together but if the US units are not airtight then why would ours need to be?
You are right. They need to be vented as you can never seal them completely and without vents they will draw in water but not let it out. The question is where the vent holes are. I had lights on a Chrysler 300 that were almost sealed and they literally filled up with water. I drilled some vents top and bottom and never even had condensation after that.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=11298]Greg[/MENTION]_C should be.
[MENTION=14613]SteveS[/MENTION] Well it's more than with resealing, I've found that the butyl can pull holes where the wires come out, drawing MORE wet air in, or in the case of rain, actual rain in. naturally more air/water etc isn't going to work on the current setup, as is adding in more heat for the single vent, it's al an unfortunate balancing act.

I Think the additional venting will be on the bottom for these, the top gets soaked in water, as the "run off" for the under hood water etc goes right over the top of the light.

Sponsored

sheps5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 2015 GT
Took the dodgy black hood vents off and replaced them with DIB ones. They look so much better in the colour of the car. And with the 2 brackets at the front and 1 at the back securing them to the second skin of the bonnet plus the sealant round the edge these ones aren't going anywhere. Also took off the x pipe and went straight pipe from cats to the back boxes. God damn that was ÂŁ70 well spent.

https://vid.me/DovjB

666mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT cars name (HAMMER)
For the 1st time in a few weeks I done nothing not even opened the garage door.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
For the 1st time in a few weeks I done nothing not even opened the garage door.
Probably fed up with doing stuff.

I'll be fitting the fins onto the indicators later, they're back after being resprayed (after a rather annoying woman decided to knock them on the floor.......... whilst they were drying!) :lol:

christianUK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Vehicle(s)
GT auto
All this bonnet vent business, I'm starting to think it's less bother to import a 'hood' from the states

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Daft question: Where does all the rainwater go with the 'hood vents'?:confused:
Mainly into the inner skin and soaks off down the sides, otherwise it'll go straight into the engine bay.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Finally installed the fog brows... D:

next up on mods / fix list:
Replace splitter with an unmarked painted one (ready to go)
Fix lights (waiting on new vent before resealing them)
Intercooler when [MENTION=21881]MustangMustHaves[/MENTION] gets stock :D!
Protune from [MENTION=19118]Tune+[/MENTION]
"insert everything else here"
Finito (?!)

Well here's the fins... I really like them personally, they're subtle but make a difference.

They did prove to be a bit wonky with alignment in terms of where the 3m tape stuck to, so some parts needed to be doubled up. This is shown in the picture of the back end of the fins. This then allows a perfect stick and maximum contact with the indicator and both sides of the bumper.

After and before

Tape job:
This bit connects to the inner side of the bumper which is closest to the reg plate

All the tape lines.

This is part doubled up, the darker grey is the second layer of 3m tape to make sure it bonded with the indicator housing.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Nice!

I thought you were going to add a downpipe as well. Or is it going to be too loud?