How wide? Downsides going too wide?

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
YO peeps
15 gt auto with base gears.

Looking at getting some 5 spoke black wheels not sure which yet, but want to know how wide should i go?

Whats the disadvantages of say going 10in wide over a 9in wide? Obviously advantages better handling but whats the downsides here? I stil want to be able to whip the end out when I want too. advice?

Ill have the ford racing track pack installed shortly as well
Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
YO peeps
15 gt auto with base gears.

Looking at getting some 5 spoke black wheels not sure which yet, but want to know how wide should i go?

Whats the disadvantages of say going 10in wide over a 9in wide? Obviously advantages better handling but whats the downsides here? I stil want to be able to whip the end out when I want too. advice?

Ill have the ford racing track pack installed shortly as well
Hey brother we do carry Forgestar CF5 that can be built for you at any spec like 19x10 Square, 19x10 & 19x11 or Project 6GR Five 19x10 Square or 19x10 & 19x11 Staggered
Ada vantages are
1. Performance with a wider selection of tires:cheers:
2. Deep Concavity compare to a 20x9 which is flat no style :frusty:
3. There is no downside really going with a 10in width. :cool:
4. You would still be able to whip:lol: the rear end when needed LOL

Overall, you cant go wrong going with a 10in width.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If you also consider 9.5" for 19's, then there are even more wheel style choices, and prices, to choose among. You will find that extra 1cm of tire width to cost a premium in going from 275 (on 9.5") to 285 (on 10").

I knew I wanted 19's and not 20's, but I considered both 9.5 and 10" widths while window shopping.

I also used wheel-size.com (Tire Calculator tab) a LOT for what-if scenarios, including fitment answers. Check it out.

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
Thanks gents!

I do like staggered but understand it promotes understeer and I don't want to do that. So I think a 9.5 might be a good middle ground thanks GTP for pointing out price differences with tires.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
tramlining, increased unsprung mass, rolling resistance and increased steering effort (if fronts) come to mind. all of these can be mitigated somewhat (if not almost all of it) with more attention to tire/wheel weight and alignment settings.

Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
You're somewhat limited on the front to a 10" wheel being the max you can go. The rear can fit up to an 11 comfortably and 11.5" like the 350R. You can make any setup under or oversteer depending on your springs/bars/etc... So it comes down to size limitations, power, tire selection, your intended needs and useage, etc...
I
When sizing wheel and tire sizes this is a must-read:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...LY-select-and-size-TIRES-for-PERFORMANCE.aspx

speedaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black base GT
I run 19x10.75 +35 square (with 5mm spacers in front), 24lbs wheels with 275/40s, lowered on Sportlines with no problem. Grip and turn-in is excellent, I don't find it particularly harder to turn and there's slight tramlining only when changing lanes on certain highways.

You can go up to 11" in the front with proper offset (+28/+30), check out the square setup thread there's tons of info on what can be done.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
We have done wide fitments without issues, however when you do go wide on the tires you can based on the road condition experience tram lining.

Now for a 5 spoke wheel you have a few choices actually.

Forgestar CF5
MRR VP5 They are a graphite color however
Velgen Classic 5 (coming out shortly)
Ace Alloy AFF02

Let me know if you need any help.
Sponsored