Sponsored

Help please, bonnet vent flew off on Motorway!

RobMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 V8 Fastback Manual
I have just arrived at my parents in Surrey as we fly off on holiday tomorrow am.

Halfway here on the M3 my vent flew off, over the car and hit center reservation.

Now have a big hole in bonnet and it's pissing down, was worried about amount of water that must have gone in on the way here.

So please, please does anyone know of any spares please?

Think I'm going to stuff some bags in there whilst I'm away to hold out rain.

Called Mike on way, offered to fit replacement but does not have any.

https://imgur.com/tPT0hQi
Sponsored

Last edited:

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
w

Due to the failures of the glueing that have been reported by a number of people ,maybe Modurstang should contact all the customers who have had this work done and sort out a permanent fix as it looks like it is possibly only a matter of time before more failures occur.

Sponsored

Greg C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
Mine have lifted very slight at the front. To be on safe side, I have cable tied them underneath using the remaining parts of the factory clips. They will not now move but have also been kindly given some brackets for the front to make them nice & secure by Mike Scott. Also spoke to Modurstang Mike at Ford Fair on Sunday & on his advice got some Tiger Seal to add underneath the hood where there is the opening in the hood skin at the front. The cable ties alone have been good for 120mph so once I add the couple of brackets & extra Tiger Seal will be all good. Modurstang Mike had someone working on a bracket/ cover for the vent opening but not quite there yet. Once hood liner is back in place, my current cable tie fix is not visible.
IMG_1994.JPG

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
I carry gaffer tape in the boot now. Not sure this would work with yours as the hole cut out is so big. Work great with mine and just passing by,you would not even notice.

Seem fitting these vents is causing many of us a bit of grief.

20170803_162617_resized_1.jpg

20170810_080424_resized.jpg

20170810_080418_resized.jpg

OP
OP
RobMJ

RobMJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 V8 Fastback Manual
Just ordered new OEM set from Ebay.com. Hopefully parcel will be at my folks place when I return. I will ensure they go on properly this time with a bond that works and a secondary solution from underneath. Major inconvenience and still annoyed about it.

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I still have mine painted and ready to fit, bit concerned these are flying off too easily, which is why I've held off.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
I still have mine painted and ready to fit, bit concerned these are flying off too easily, which is why I've held off.
Based on what we've seen up to now, I wouldn't bother:(

Sponsored

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
I think when we get them sorted....and we will. It will be worth it. But certainly, if I had not had mine done and was reading the forum, I dont think I would do them just yet.

Have a few plans with mine. Once dine, I will post on the thread we have running on hood vents.

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
I think when we get them sorted....and we will. It will be worth it. But certainly, if I had not had mine done and was reading the forum, I dont think I would do them just yet.

Have a few plans with mine. Once dine, I will post on the thread we have running on hood vents.

Oops, sorry for double post!

Gloucesternige

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT, GR Yaris, SWB Defender, Harley.
Maybe someone should try fitting them with some black polyeurethane adhesive, but put a layer all round the edge then blend it in with a wet finger or tool? If you stop the air getting under the lip you'll stop them blowing off.

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
From the pics look like the front bond never touched the vent so only anchored by the back

There is no reason why this shouldn't hold if you
1. Roughen up the back of the vent with 90 grade sand paper to get a good key
2. Wipe of the back of the vent and bonnet with rubbing alchol or paint shop body cleaner
3. Use a good adhesive and 3m tape

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
From the pics look like the front bond never touched the vent so only anchored by the back

There is no reason why this shouldn't hold if you
1. Roughen up the back of the vent with 90 grade sand paper to get a good key
2. Wipe of the back of the vent and bonnet with rubbing alchol or paint shop body cleaner
3. Use a good adhesive and 3m tape
If you are talking about my pics, the front bond did take. If you look at the pic, you can see the faded paint where the bond was, its the middle one that didn't take.

The fact is, the bond thats been used should work, its the same stuff that spoilers, side skirts and all sorts are held on with. but I think there are a few things going on here causing the failures. These have been installed by people like modurstang and my body shop, who I would recommend to anyone.

I think that the hood takes a hammering once the vent is cut out and the top skin is aloud to vibrate and can be pressed when washing etc. I intend packing out between the two skins of the hood to stop this.

We are also looking to pack out between the hood and the vent and bond over a larger area.

They wont come off again....if they do, I will buy a US or aftermarket hood!
Sponsored