neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Thanks again, and yes most of the autox guys I've spoken to have said as much. I'm sure I'm nowhere near getting the most out of my car as-is, I'd love to go for a ride with someone with an S550 that is more skilled to experience the car from that perspective or have someone drive mine to compare. I no longer consider myself a novice, but definitely not advanced. I've been to almost a full season now.

PS: I don't think I've ever engaged ABS during a run. The single piston calipers are pretty large and actually provide a lot of brake performance for what they are, but they do tend to go soft with spirited driving. Looking forward to the 4 pot upgrade & larger discs.
Sponsored

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Thanks again, and yes most of the autox guys I've spoken to have said as much. I'm sure I'm nowhere near getting the most out of my car as-is, I'd love to go for a ride with someone with an S550 that is more skilled to experience the car from that perspective or have someone drive mine to compare. I no longer consider myself a novice, but definitely not advanced. I've been to almost a full season now.

PS: I don't think I've ever engaged ABS during a run. The single piston calipers are pretty large and actually provide a lot of brake performance for what they are, but they do tend to go soft with spirited driving. Looking forward to the 4 pot upgrade & larger discs.
Brake harder! :) ABS is your friend. It's a gentle reminder to back off the brake pedal ever so slightly, but it definitely should be engaged, often, while autocrossing! :) The 6 pots on my car will generate over 1.3g in braking on Lincoln's concrete which I think is dang impressive but it wont get there without getting to ABS and near ABS engagement zones. Only way to know how hard you can brake is to brake really hard! Just like knowing how much you can accelerate, wont know until you go WOT mid corner! Could be fun, could be scary, you just never know.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
Dang Whiskey... and I thought I was getting close to the braking limits at 1.2g...Guess it is time to see how much more aggressive I can get with the middle peddle :)

OP
OP
neodark

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Well, that's driver 101... I need to be a lot more aggressive with brakes. Will definitely try at this weekend's event.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well, that's driver 101... I need to be a lot more aggressive with brakes. Will definitely try at this weekend's event.
Make sure to hit those apexes before you worry about braking harder/later.

Last novice I rode with was braking too much and far too often, turning too sharply and not carrying enough speed through to the next element, so I may be projecting here, but instead, try to use the brakes less. Make turns wider (higher speed) while still hitting the apexes, and use the gas to settle the car so you don't have to slow down as much. If you're thinking about anything brake related, probably think about where you want to be OFF the brake.

Tapping the brakes is a last resort for me, except of course tight turns at the end of a straight, where ya you're going to have to slow down, then my focus is braking early enough that I can still transition the car to cornering and nail a tight apex.

Sponsored

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
I'm currently running 6th in region so I think I might be doing ok on the apexes :)

Always room to improve but lately I have been focusing on braking and turn in.

OP
OP
neodark

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I think I'm ok hitting the apex for the most part.. Been watching a lot of instructional videos. What I mean by using the brakes more is that I need to get better at finding braking zones, and learning to tail brake better. This stuff is addicting. Thanks again for all the tips.
Sponsored