Selling my 16R

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
This group seems pretty down to earth to me, even with many members that appear to have significant means.

Most of the attacks I see are people lashing out at the people that paid ADM. I'm guessing because those who can't view those as keeping them from the car they want.

I wish ford had made or starts to make all the Rs people will buy. But I can't fault those that paid ADM to get what they want.

I'd prefer ford took a page out of Dodge or GMs book, so I could go down and see a line of Rs in every color lined up like jelly beans, that I could buy for invoice, like I can C7s or Hellcats.

I'm not looking for exclusivity, just the car I want, and most road course bang for the buck.
Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
...Most who post here could get along just fine face to face. Subtle differences in opinion are exaggerated in written form. As such, responses will be stronger on a forum like this. Many who have responded opposing my view here would agree in casual conversation (and I to their's) but are compelled to pile on here for their own personal reasons. I've never been a 'can I be included too' group think type person. There is a certain exposure revealed by those who do engage in this gang mentality..
Delusional.

:focus:

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Well I suppose it was going to happen with the GT350's as well. For example, many 911 owners buy the car for its status as a visual achievement to the rest of society. They enjoy that others know it's expensive and that they're the one behind the wheel for all to see their trophy of success, wealth or what have you. For many (not all) that is what attracted them to the car in the first place. The old joke about the Porsche and the porcupine is as relevant today as ever.

With the GT350 it appears that the same may be happening. People who are into cars know that a GT350 isn't often found without a markup attached to it. It's become a status symbol of sorts because of it. It's certainly not why I bought the car or was attracted to it. It was a deterrent actually and took a while to find a great dealer. But it appears that some current owners revel in the fact that the reputation of the car is that you have to pay to play and if you can't pay it....well then of course you just couldn't afford it and it sucks to be you.

This mentality is elitist and snobby. Rubbing peoples face in it has never been my style. Especially these days when someone sees you in a car like this and thinks you haven't paid your fair share. :tsk:
Funniest thing I've read all weekend! Mustang owners are elitist snobs? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::doh:

Can I get a hit of what you're smoking?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
i met a great fella at a cars and coffee.
He has a black GT. I went up to his car and told him how nice his car looked and that he keeps it in great shape. Told me how he came from chevy because he liked how the S550 looked and felt, and has never had a mustang before.
Found the GT for low 30s and put in the pro charger and intake, 13 GT500 tranny etc and its a 800HP car for in the 40s. We hit it off, just a great person, Doug. We see each other and talk cars at every cars and coffee there. I told him i was getting a 350R and he congratulated me and told me he just likes to mod cars.
Went to a cars and coffee at another location with my raptor with my vintage minibikes in the back yesterday. Doug was there so we talked for quite a while. We talked about cars but this time we got into our jobs, family, health etc.
I didnt judge him by his GT because i know there is always more to a person than the car they drive. Turns out this fella has more money than id ever have. Has 200 acre organic farm, has mega stock and works for facebook. I liked the guy the same before i knew this and the same afterwards, just happy he was well off.

He could have anything but he likes to mod cars. I also found out his struggles in life (everyone has had/having them) and it made me like the guy even more because of his resilience.
Really glad to have met Doug, just a classy fella.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Except the regular GT350 offers almost the same experience for significantly less. :)
I wasn't specifying the R.. of course the experience is almost the same, it does have the exact same drivetrain and same engine which is by far the star of the show.

:cheers:

I should edit to say that that should have been pretty obvious... I look at them as one in the same car, it isn't an entirely separate thing, and in all honesty I shouldn't even have to explain that. :shrug::(

Last edited:

Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I didn't point anyone out did I? I have my opinions based on the experiences I've had with others. Others have experiences that shape their's.

Most who post here could get along just fine face to face. Subtle differences in opinion are exaggerated in written form. As such, responses will be stronger on a forum like this. Many who have responded opposing my view here would agree in casual conversation (and I to their's) but are compelled to pile on here for their own personal reasons. I've never been a 'can I be included too' group think type person. There is a certain exposure revealed by those who do engage in this gang mentality imo.

My opinion is based on what I've read here, other boards, observing at C&C and attending a few DE's. I've offered my opinion here, apparently many don't like it, feel personally offended by it (which is particularly interesting to me) and I'm certainly ok with that. I just find the circling the wagons effect for those who disagree a little suspect and to be honest is fairly validating to me.
Nahhh if I don't agree with something I have no issues saying so face to face... if you're acting or saying some retarded, I'll let ya know :lol:

Your opinion is skewed and isn't in line with reality. No one on here acts like elitists or snobs. You DO have people who have repeatedly and openly insulted those who paid ADM's, yet when those guys say "hey, we can afford them, can ya piss off?" that makes them snobbish or an elitist?

The only issue seems to be that you think that those who disagree with you are just proving your wildly off-base points. Seriously, the type of people you speak of exist in EVERY group of car marquees. Every one. Maybe instead of judging people by what they drive you could get to know them first? Case in point [MENTION=22202]machsmith[/MENTION] and his great story above. Ya know, the ol "don't judge a book by its cover" thing.. :cheers:

SpursFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'd say MSRP since you can buy new R's for +5k in the San Antonio/Houston area.
pls PM the dealers that are selling R's for 5k over in these areas. I'm in town through the week and have already contacted almost ever dealer in SA.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Kinda hard to say 'no one' acts elitist or snobby. For the most part they don't, but I've seen an R owner get mad at project 6gr wheels and knock off wings.

That's just how mustang folk do...oh you made another wheel that fits my lug pattern?...Cool, I'll try it out

And if randy m is on Facebook, it's worse there. Seen multiple pics posted of GTs/ecoboosts with a shit load of flaming posts because they ran gt350 aftermarket parts. Stuff like that will make any car guy uncomfortable.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Your opinion is skewed and isn't in line with reality. No one on here acts like elitists or snobs. You DO have people who have repeatedly and openly insulted those who paid ADM's, yet when those guys say "hey, we can afford them, can ya piss off?" that makes them snobbish or an elitist?

The only issue seems to be that you think that those who disagree with you are just proving your wildly off-base points. Seriously, the type of people you speak of exist in EVERY group of car marquees. Every one. Maybe instead of judging people by what they drive you could get to know them first? Case in point [MENTION=22202]machsmith[/MENTION] and his great story above. Ya know, the ol "don't judge a book by its cover" thing.. :cheers:
I don't judge people by what they drive. I'll admit that I do judge someone by the way they act, post, posture etc. If they're in a 911 or other high dollar car while being that way in whatever fashion, well there's your stereotype. I never said that everyone who is behind the wheel of a 911 thinks of themselves as upper crust and above others. Those who do are d*cks. Most would agree with that unless they share some of the same traits. Those who do will typically gravitate to each other ;)

I'll also admit that when someone posts something derogatory toward the ADM subject and another posts in a retaliatory way iterating that they couldn't afford it, is jealous, envious etc those comments are indicative of elitism. So if that's my skewed vision of reality I'll be standing by my conviction. :cheers:

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I don't judge people by what they drive. I'll admit that I do judge someone by the way they act, post, posture etc. If they're in a 911 or other high dollar car while being that way in whatever fashion, well there's your stereotype. I never said that everyone who is behind the wheel of a 911 thinks of themselves as upper crust and above others. Those who do are d*cks. Most would agree with that unless they share some of the same traits. Those who do will typically gravitate to each other ;)

I'll also admit that when someone posts something derogatory toward the ADM subject and another posts in a retaliatory way iterating that they couldn't afford it, is jealous, envious etc those comments are indicative of elitism. So if that's my skewed vision of reality I'll be standing by my conviction. :cheers:
Well can you provide a single reason as to why someone would feel the need to insult an individual because they paid an ADM? I'm sorry man, but saying water is wet is a fact, and when someone feels the need to insult someone else over what they paid for a car, what else can that be described as other than envy/jealous/hatred? Seriously... that doesn't make someone else elitist because they point out what is black and white. It is perfectly fine for someone to choose not to pay ADM's, but when it comes to then insulting others who have, that is petty and IS indicative of the traits I outlined.

What is in bold, I agree with. The sticking together part, not so much... where I'm from those guys are ostracized and become universally hated across all groups when it becomes known they are one of those bragging dickheads who bought something just for attention or try to be better than others.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I've had 4 911's. I've also had 6 Mustangs. I go back and forth. I had more than one reason for selling my last 911 but that attitude associated with them is fairly strong imo. It wasn't the catalyst for selling it however.

I have a good sniffer for elitism. Attacking those who point it out when one may be suspect is a prevalent defense mechanism.
So is never looking inward to consider where the problem might start.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Stanglife makes a great point... I've been on here for well over a year, and I have not yet come across any attitudes like you say exist. The only reactions that have occurred, is people belittling and insulting those who DID pay an ADM, and then those who paid simply responding in kind. That isn't snobbish when the people who originally said "hey you're stupid for paying X" because they were jealous that they couldn't and had to wait whereas others never.

This type of attitude that you speak of exists everywhere because it isn't a brand issue, its a people issue. I personally know lots of people who buy the most basic 3series BMW they can just to say "oh I drive a BMW" to make others think it is some super fancy and expensive vehicle. That doesn't make me look down on the brand, it is an issue with the mentality of buyers. You'll get that with EVERY new thing on the block, whether it be specialty mustangs, corvettes, 911's, BMW's, AMG's etc. etc.

Anyone who likes to brag that "Oh I paid X amount for mine" is just a douche bragging about the money they have, and isn't worth the time of day, just like anyone else saying "You're stupid to pay ADM" is nothing but a jealous hater because they can't or won't for whatever reason. Both are problematic for us enthusiasts who bought the cars for the right reasons because we get painted by the same brush.
Man, that's so true - and what I was kinda getting at. It's never accurate to categorize everyone in a single group as X. Every person is individual and I promise there's a fair percentage of pricks in every group.

J_ - you mention people buying a BMW just because they perceive that as "I'm cool" to others. I suggest, that as enthusiasts, our passion for the hobby usually puts us on the other side of that equation. Personally, I only really like talking cars with other people who are car enthusiasts. When I talk to people in life who know I like cars (and I know they don't really care) - when they ask me what kind of car I have, I just say it's a Mustang... and carry on. Of course, I know not everyone is the same.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Randy is a classic example of someone who doesn't understand that different people can have different views of the same situation. Because ADM doesn't make any sense to him, he feels the need to show everyone else how they are wrong for deciding to pay it, then saying I told you so when ADM's started to go away as the supply and demand dynamic shifted.

Thanks Randy but we are all big boys here, smart enough to understand the impact of our own decisions, the day you decide to contribute to my income I will give you a say in how I decide to spend it.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
These are Mustangs, not Porsche's, BMW's, Merc's etc and the ilk they attract sometimes. One of the reasons why I no longer have a GT3 is that I didn't want to be associated with that pompous crowd. To me a Mustang represents real people who work hard for what they have, play hard and enjoy life. Not country club Ted who looks down his nose at the help. Take that attitude to Ferrarichat.

m'kay.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Well can you provide a single reason as to why someone would feel the need to insult an individual because they paid an ADM? I'm sorry man, but saying water is wet is a fact, and when someone feels the need to insult someone else over what they paid for a car, what else can that be described as other than envy/jealous/hatred? Seriously... that doesn't make someone else elitist because they point out what is black and white. It is perfectly fine for someone to choose not to pay ADM's, but when it comes to then insulting others who have, that is petty and IS indicative of the traits I outlined.

What is in bold, I agree with. The sticking together part, not so much... where I'm from those guys are ostracized and become universally hated across all groups when it becomes known they are one of those bragging dickheads who bought something just for attention or try to be better than others.
Since you're asking for my thoughts on this, Paying an ADM will never be something I would consider because of my convictions on how I deal with my finances, how I earn money, how I save for what I want rather than finance or lease, other interests in how I spend it etc. I could pay an obscene amount in ADM if I chose to but my conviction doesn't allow me to do this and honestly would kill the ownership experience. I've posted this in no certain words. These are my thoughts and they're not everyone's obviously. Because of various opinions on this, posting something like paying ADM is ridiculous, stealerships etc those who have chosen to pay it may take offense and retaliate by saying you can't afford it etc then you get the sh*tshow.

I don't have any negative sentiment for those who have paid it. It's not for me however and because of my convictions I don't hold the practice in high regard. Stating that shouldn't be greeted with insult, nor should my response have been insulting in return. :cheers:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.