Sponsored

What makes the Cyclone such a durable engine?

six_shooter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 DIB, 2018 HD Iron 1200
Just passed 76k miles in my '15 and no engine problems. 99% highway usage, but I have confidence it will last the test of time.

FWIWI, recently I've been going 80 mph into work and 60 mph back. It's netted me 30 mpg average over my 70 mile each way commute. Hand calculated mpg btw, the computer usually says 32.

matteos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Question, in doing my research before picking up my V6 Mustang I read a lot about how the Cyclone was durable, reliable, bulletproof, can handle a lot more power, etc... Being new to the Ford/Mustang world can someone mention what about the engine gives it that reputation? Or does it just have a history of running reliably with few problems?

Thanks
Dunno, guess it's near the end of its cycle so all the problems have been ironed out. I've absolutely hammered mine 25K not a single issue.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
Very pleased with the motor. really nice after 5000 rpm. installed a UPR catch can. IMO, needed if you rev it out a lot.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
Simple, it's not an ecoboost.

kidding! it's just over engineered, understressed and it's been out for a while, much like the Coyote. If they offered the premium trim on The V6, I'd most likely be driving that instead of my base GT.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Just passed 76k miles in my '15 and no engine problems. 99% highway usage, but I have confidence it will last the test of time.

FWIWI, recently I've been going 80 mph into work and 60 mph back. It's netted me 30 mpg average over my 70 mile each way commute. Hand calculated mpg btw, the computer usually says 32.
Funny, that's pretty much my situation too; 55k, 99% hwy driving. I usually do 80 going in and around 65 going home, roughly 100 miles round-trip, typically average 27-28 mpg per tank. :clap2:

To the OP, I believe the reputation was earned over years of reliable service, and HP junkies driving supercharged 3.7's with 450+ hp without failure. From my own experience, I drove a 2011 3.7 to 134k miles before trading it in on my 2015, and other than regular oil changes that engine needed no repairs or service what so ever. It ran as smooth and powerful the day I traded it as it did the day I got it.
Sponsored