Unleashed Tuning

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
You can buy just the custom tunes, 2 of them, from Unleashed (Torrie) for $249; http://www.unleashedtuning.com/unleashed-custom-tuning-for-big-turbo-mustang-2-3l-ecoboost/ The title says for big turbo, but the description at the bottom says this product is for those who already have an X4. The tunes also include post tune calibration support, that is, you datalog, send the log to Torrie and he will adjust the tune if necessary. He normally sends you a summer tune and a winter tune. And I can speak from experience - the tunes really wake up the car.
Sponsored

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
After a lot of thought and a lot of reading - browsing Focus ST and F150 forums - and also talking to Torrie via email, I decided to go Unleashed. I had some specific requirements and I was pleased that he was more than happy to provide a tune that would meet them. His response times should be a thing of legend.

I received my SCT X4 yesterday, and much to my surprise, my tune file not even an hour later. I asked for a year round tune instead of the typical summer/winter tunes. I'm at 6,000 feet and limited to 91 octane, so the power gains are a bit muted to what some of you see. However, I noticed that 2nd through the top of 3rd gear pull better and the weird lumpiness in the power band is gone. Last night, I did a 0-60 run, totally botched the launch, but I noticed the power drop off past 5k RPM was gone. The car felt strong all the way to 6k RPM. I did a 4th gear pass from 50-65mph around a dump truck this morning and noticed the car didn't have to strain as much to get up and go as on the stock tune. If I had to guess, I'd say the power gains are probably around what the FRPP tune puts out but with the benefit of being able to add more go fast parts (I'm planning on water/meth next).

I do have a question. How do I get a data log off the SCT X4 and onto my computer? I had the data log running while driving last night, but couldn't figure out how to transfer it to my computer. Torrie said the logs were optional, but I'd feel better if he looked at them to make sure everything is running smoothly.

snugpixel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Ecoboost Premium
I know I am brand new to the site and Unleashed and Torrie get a lot of love for his tunes but his tunes blew my engine up recently and he won't respond to me at all. I have emailed him multiple times. Tried contacting him via different forums and facebook. I am really upset and now out 6k+ on a new engine because Ford won't cover it.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I know I am brand new to the site and Unleashed and Torrie get a lot of love for his tunes but his tunes blew my engine up recently and he won't respond to me at all. I have emailed him multiple times. Tried contacting him via different forums and facebook. I am really upset and now out 6k+ on a new engine because Ford won't cover it.
What would you want him to say to you? I have a feeling any convo he has with you is not going to end well... so why start it? It goes like this... you: your tune blew my engine. Torrie: It could have been a number of factors. You: %%$$@@!!!!!**## Torrie: Bye.

I feel for you, but tuning runs a risk... mainly for the car owner. Heck, any mod runs a risk.

Sponsored

snugpixel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am trying to get all the information I can about the tune and what could have gone wrong so I know for the future. I recognize the risk and ultimate responsibility being on me for modifying the vehicle. I don't know enough personally to be able fully understand what caused the failure. I don't want to run the risk of continuing to damage a new engine even with out the tune if he suspects it was something the tune only contributed to. I don't think that is too much to ask of him.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I am trying to get all the information I can about the tune and what could have gone wrong so I know for the future. I recognize the risk and ultimate responsibility being on me for modifying the vehicle. I don't know enough personally to be able fully understand what caused the failure. I don't want to run the risk of continuing to damage a new engine even with out the tune if he suspects it was something the tune only contributed to. I don't think that is too much to ask of him.
Problem is you don't know for certain if it was the tune. I don't run Torrie's tune so I'm not defending him at all... just saying.

I'm truly sorry for your vehicle loss... really... that made me sad. :(

snugpixel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Problem is you don't know for certain if it was the tune. I don't run Torrie's tune so I'm not defending him at all... just saying.

I'm truly sorry for your vehicle loss... really... that made me sad. :(
Thanks, well I don't suspect it was anything else I had on the car. I've never heard of an exhaust, CAI, intercooler/piping, or ecu controlled BOV doing that. I just read your review of the Ford Tuning so I may just go that route if I am itching for some more power in the future. I sure as hell won't be doing anything that will keep me from warranty coverage on the new engine!

snugpixel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A blown engine is just an excuse to go built block and big turbo.
I considered that but I think I will just play it safe and not worry about blowing up another engine that has no warranty coverage. Your idea sounds way more fun though :headbang:

Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
I wish there was a post with a poll ticker that accounted for every car that reported to blow and what tune they were using. In recent history, unfortunately Unleashed is one of the top culprits of blown engines I see but that's also because people get what they want with aggressive tune and he delivers.

You think these turbos being maxed out is a smart idea? Wonder if upgrading to vargas would better regulated the boost.

Last edited:

metalhead79

That thang got a Hemi?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
On my tune, boost wasn't increased. It's still sitting at 20psi. I asked for mild tune that I could use year round. I'm at 6000ft and on 91 octane - there just isn't much that can be done without aux fuel or a bigger turbo.

Woodshop77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
Snugpixel - Go built or sleeved block it ends up plus or minus a grand or so either way. There are some awesome engine builders around.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Snugpixel - Go built or sleeved block it ends up plus or minus a grand or so either way. There are some awesome engine builders around.
Shit, he would be better off just trading in the car with a blown engine rather than blow 8k on an built engine. With the end of the year sales events (0% financing) you would probably lose less money long term.

The Average American household has less than 1k in savings and I am willing to bet 90% of S550 owners have less than 5k in the savings so 6-8k for an engine is going to set most people back a couple of years financially.

Last edited:

snugpixel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt they will give me much of a warranty on it however and at this point I care more about having my wallet covered. :lol:
Sponsored