Sponsored

Why are so many for sale?

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
I think people get taken up by all they hype and don't really realize what they have until a year later. Some will disagree, but IMHO the GT350 isn't a good commuter or daily driver. It's a track car adapted to the street. It's not great for grins at the stoplight Grand Prix. You really can't explore the car's capability until you're on a track somewhere. Sure freeway on ramps are a thrill, but redline in 3rd is about all you'll get - and there's plenty more. Then once you've been on a track it's kind of a downer to be confined to public roads. At that point you know what you're missing on the street. I think these things are what make people lose interest and sell. Then there are those of us who can't get enough of the car.
Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
It happens to every car. Look how many M4s are for sale and many other sports cars. It is a fickle market with people that have money. They like to move around a lot and experience different things.

Aside from the tech pack debacle it is nothing more than that. Even the tech pack is are still selling good. My dealer gave me 50k for my 16 tech pack and still sold it in three weeks for more obviously.

The quality is horse shit, but the experience is awesome and everyone keeps coming back for one of the last really interesting cars ever made.......

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I'm not sure I'd agree that they a flooding the market, but I would agree that some aspects may be more raw than many are willing to deal with these days.

The engine vibrates quite a bit, which will highlight any rattles or buzzes in the car.

The car can be a little noisy from tires and wind.

My car burns enough oil that one needs to keep on top of it. I have catch cans that need to be emptied as well.

I got 20,000 miles out of my tires, which I think is pretty good for this type of car, but who knows what others expect.

In the end it is a cheap car with an expensive engine and transmission, and that cheapness shows if you look for it.

If you care about such things, maybe an Audi RS3 or BMW M2 would be a better choice.

I personally love the GT350, but also understand that others may find it half-baked in some ways. I would have a difficult time recommending it without having the other person spend some time in one.

It actually is a very comfortable cruiser, is excellent at the track, and is fun even in heavy traffic because it sounds so damn good, but it probably isn't for everyone.

-T
Some good points here. If this was my only car, I would probably look elsewhere for something more civilized. But if this is a 2nd or 3rd car, it checks off all the right boxes.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Number of reasons.

First, many of the cars you see flooding the market are actually sold. Most all of these cars are auto-listed on popular car sites before the car even arrives to the dealer. Mine was on there for 5 weeks..and I special ordered my car and picked it up the moment it arrived at the dealer...it was never for sale to anyone else.

As usual - for some reason, people thought these would be a good investment and some of them even overpaid on the ADMs...as soon as they started seeing that the cars depreciated a bit, they sold in a panic. I had one guy at a car show tell me that he only had 150 miles on his because he didn't want to ruin the value of it as an investment (2016). Cars are not good investments (usually).

Some dealers mark them up and intend on holding onto them just to get traffic and to down-sell a GT to someone who doesn't want to pay their price for the GT350.

There are a lot of tech pack 2016 cars out there but I disagree that this is the reason some of these are for sale. Many people never even knew about the tech pack complaints and not every one of those people cared.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I actually think the OP has hit on something here tho. Given, there are a few who love this as a daily and some who love the engine as a novelty and always will. Maybe there is more of a market out there, but unless you like to go to the track or cruise on the highways/backroads while frequently breaking the law (which I'm sorry you must do to enjoy this car) there likely are a substantial number of people who would tire of this car because those things are what it seems to me it was designed and made for. As an aside before anybody jumps on me, I think you would even be hard pressed to find any formal reviewer of this car who didn't break the law during their evaluation. That's why it sort of surprises me that Ford is extending this to the 2018 model year except for the R with increased production which would probably only limited by suppliers.

Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
My R, all of 3 weeks old, is always for sale. I don't list it - but it's always for sale. I'm sure some of the listings are people with the same mindset. It has nothing to do with my enjoyment of the car or anything of that nature. It's simply: if someone wants to pay reasonable (to me) coin for her - have at it. Yesterday picking up oil a salesperson asked if I would sell it to them-- without hesitation: yes, what's your offer.

Another one can always be had... for now.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
...or cruise on the highways/backroads while frequently breaking the law (which I'm sorry you must do to enjoy this car) there likely are a substantial number of people who would tire of this car...
This is a good point. I got pulled over 45 in a 25 the other day. Wasn't even thinking about my speed, had just left home, was just listening to the motor sing short shifting into 3rd. Fortunately I just got a warning, but had the guy thrown the book at me (which would've included towing) I probably would've immediately listed and stored it.

I routinely cruise 10-15 mph higher than in the 392 - and during spirited driving I've hit more triples on accident than I care to admit.

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Years ago I had my first Porsche Turbo and loved the car, I was up on the twisty mountain roads enjoying the turbo thrust when Ingot popped for speed 75 in a 55. I was discouraged and was thinking of selling her but then got a present of an instructed race day at Sonoma Raceway- hooked!

I bought the R knowing it would be too fast for the street and have constraints with egress, but knew with a few light mods it would shine at the track. I regularly need to bring kids to school so picked up the rear seat kit which I will put in during "offseason". Only other concern will be attention. I already park pretty far back in my daily (F350) because of space, but will continue that iwith the R. I think this car will tick most of the boxes for me and warranty works even with track driving!

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I agree with others this car is made for the track.

There is not much fun to be had at legal speeds.

Aside from my bumper falling of the quality seems ok to me.

If this was my only car and I never tracked I might get rid of it. But if you have something mundane to contrast it that is where it comes alive

Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes, your life/work situation changes that makes you rethink your priorities. For me, selling the R was a no-brainer. Loved the car!

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I think some bought GT350's on the hype and liked having something so hard to get.. Now, they are not as hard to get (all of my dealers have them in stock with no ADM's) so the thrill is no longer there.

On top of that, I think a lot of people overextended themselves on impulse, and once the novelty wore off and the payments starting stacking up, they had to get out from under it. Happens in a lot of hobbies. If they bought it for an investment, they bought it for the wrong reason IMO.

I know a guy that bought an "R" only because he thought it was a good deal and was possibly going to make money on it (he paid $10K over), and when he decided to sell it a few months ago he had a hard time selling it for the $10K over he wanted on it. Not sure what he ended up selling it for, but I do believe it was less than the $10K. But he really was not into the car like a lot of us, it was more about exclusivity, bragging rights, and showing it off at cars and coffee than it was about the pure enjoyement of the performance the car provides.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
For me it was mainly the right offer at the right time. I lost no money on my GT350 and had it about 8 months. I did not track my car. I found it very sporty but a little too sporty to be comfortable on long trips. The tramling meant I had to be 100% focused, all the time. On a 8 hour drive, that got old for me. The other thing I struggled with was the lack of tq below 3500 RPM. I really had to get up into 5-8k RPM range to feel the tq. The clutch was by far the worst of any car I have driven. It was like an on/off switch. I tried the Steeda spring and removing the spring. Both helped but I still did not like the clutch feel.

The car sounded and looked amazing. I liked the looks better than my C7. Very aggressive styling that blows away the competition in my opinion. Reving the engine out to 8250 RPM was and aural feast.

I'm very glad I had he chance to own and drive one. When I got an offer that covered everything I put into the car, I decided it best to move on.

For the record, I could make a list of dislikes for every car I've owned so no one needs to get their feelings hurt. It's just my experience.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Interesting thread.

As a new owner, I must say I am enjoying my car. I can say here and now, and knew this going in, I will probably never get to a road course. I will probably 1/4 quite a few time, but I highly doubt I will get to go around a track. I would like to once or twice, but its probably doubtful for me.

That said, I still like to drive. I like taking corners, I like taking cloverleafs and what not. The power is nice and smooth, and I came out of a 700 WHP 11 GT500. [email protected] yeah. But man, this car does perform and that's what I like about it.

I had my body guy check it out, and he thinks I got the "everyone was hype to be at work" day car :) No issues body or mechanical so far.

spinningwheel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
I have been watching the market like a hawk, reading tons of posts here and just doing your average stuff that most of us obsessive car guys do while waiting to make a purchase. I have done this with my trucks(I'm a big fan of diesel truck), cts-v, vettes, m3's etc. I have never seen a car with fairly low production numbers flood the market like the gt350. Maybe its just me, or maybe its that the sports car market is more saturated with options the last few years since we now have the hellcat/s, zl1, various c7's etc that we didn't have just a few years ago?

Additionally anyone have experience with how carmax does their purchasing and what would your process be if you were to buy a used gt350 off a dealer? I see a lot of issues with these cars on the forum, like you do any forum since this is where people come to air their grievances and I just have a fear of purchasing a gt350 that's been a buy back(what hapens to buy backs and does the title reflect that?) or had a motor replaced etc.
Buybacks should have a branded Title. I've been thru it and after they buy it back they auction it off to be sold to someone else. Be careful out there.
Sponsored