Sponsored

How to reduce IAT's, improve flow & positive pressure with PMAS & other open CAI's

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3

SoFloEco

5 Liters of Love!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 Grabber Lime HPP Ecoboost Mustang
Having a full open grill delete would do little for IAT's now, remember engines love cooler/denser air, this air is outside your engine bay, not within it, so you want to channel it to the air filter best way you can, I believe my way accomplishes this. ;)

However a full open grill delete will help cool the entire engine bay area so in theory this would help reduce CHT temperatures so if you have CHT temperatures issues a full grill delete would help. Also remember to aid in reducing CHT temperatures reduce your anti freeze mixture to something like 60% water, 40% coolant and add a bottle of water wetter. Bear in mind reducing anti-freeze mixture will mean your coolant will only be good for down to around -25c, so only advisable in warmer states. :)

The only issue with a full open grill is more air enters under the hood increasing pressure and in turn this causes more lift, the most likely first signs of this shall be hood shake at highway speed, extend the rubber stops to try and stop the shake and in extreme cases at higher speed more lift in the front due to air pressure will reduce grip, but I seriously doubt anyone would notice this.

A way of having best of both worlds with a grill delete to get lots of air in under the hood is to then give it a place to escape easily, so a massive hole in the hood, aka hood vents. This is why race cars have hood and fender vents, it helps with aero dynamics, engine cooling and brake cooling. :)
Just love your accent, Gibbo205!:D

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't forget to get a BIG MOUTH to really give your aftermarket intake a boost :)

/shameless plug

Good work as usual Gibbo

Cheers fella, several weeks on since all this work I have also noticed a slight improvement in economy, it is real slight at just under 1mpg but its there. I have not changed my daily route to work or my driving style, of course ambient temperatures have also reduced a little which could be contributing factor here.

Also being work with Lund on some throttle tables for the PMAS and have to say the new throttle mapping JonII & Dakota have done at Lund are amazing, buttery smooth. :)

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok I've been thinking about adding the gt350 snorkel to my PMAS just like you, and have looked over the various threads you've mentioned it many times over :D but have just a simple question mostly just curiosity:

-is the gt350 snorkel larger than the gt snorkel? does it seal well to the duct that's coming from the grille?

*edit: after some digging, I've found out that snorkel part # FR3Z-9C675-B does fit. Does it need to be slightly cut at the entrance to mate to the oem grill duct?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok I've been thinking about adding the gt350 snorkel to my PMAS just like you, and have looked over the various threads you've mentioned it many times over :D but have just a simple question mostly just curiosity:

-is the gt350 snorkel larger than the gt snorkel? does it seal well to the duct that's coming from the grille?

*edit: after some digging, I've found out that snorkel part # FR3Z-9C675-B does fit. Does it need to be slightly cut at the entrance to mate to the oem grill duct?

GT 350 duct is bigger that hole in PMAS heatshield so you need to make it a touch bigger, I then drilled some holes around the opening that lined up with holes in 350 duct and used cable ties to attach it.

The 350 duct then fits flush against the oem ducting so should be no need to cut it, you only need to put a slit in the bottom of the rubber if fitting an actual GT 350 CAI as that CAI pushes the duct so it overlaps the stock ducting in the bumper.

Remember a velossa big mouth to truly direct the cold air and force it into the PMAS heatshield area to create a true push pull when at momentum, that will actually increase your flow. ;)

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
GT 350 duct is bigger that hole in PMAS heatshield so you need to make it a touch bigger, I then drilled some holes around the opening that lined up with holes in 350 duct and used cable ties to attach it.

The 350 duct then fits flush against the oem ducting so should be no need to cut it, you only need to put a slit in the bottom of the rubber if fitting an actual GT 350 CAI as that CAI pushes the duct so it overlaps the stock ducting in the bumper.

Remember a velossa big mouth to truly direct the cold air and force it into the PMAS heatshield area to create a true push pull when at momentum, that will actually increase your flow. ;)
Question...can I do this with the GT snorkel?

I'm asking because I have a full extra GT intake laying around...

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium

I am sure you could just have to cut the opening on the Pmas larger. The stock GT intake could likely snap right in.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP

PMAS has said not to use the stock GT snorkel. Because the CAI flows so well, the stock snorkel isn't large enough and actually restricts the full amount of air that the CAI requires. The one off the GT350 is a larger diameter and flows better.

Nerass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Premium GT
subbed, good stuff man

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Does one have to take off the front bumper and grill to add the Velossa big mouth?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I believe you do.
Dang. That's a hassle I don't want to go through. I'd like to get my JLT to flow even better and get more ram air effect. But removing the front bumper seems like a difficult job for the benefit gained. If I was more handy it wouldn't be an issue.

WarEagleGT

S550 Newb
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Base model Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT, Auto trans
Dang. That's a hassle I don't want to go through. I'd like to get my JLT to flow even better and get more ram air effect. But removing the front bumper seems like a difficult job for the benefit gained. If I was more handy it wouldn't be an issue.
Just do what I did and swap the stock grille out. It was the culprit for most of my high IATs, mine dropped significantly when I put my RTR grille on (PMAS intake), of course that required removal of the bumper but I only did it once

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
I have the power pack 2 that comes with the gt350 intake.

I am thinking I might just need a modified grill and big mouth.

Is the big mouth compatible with the gt350 intake?
Sponsored