Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
  • Banned
So, just south of Gap, just joined the A51 off the N85 and my Mrs said, 'that thing on your bonnet is flapping about!'

Sure enough, the passenger side vent was lifting! Pulled in to an emergency lay by and, luckily I had some 3m tape. Taped the sides and front, looks very Heath Robinson, but it's done the job.

Ambient temperature was 31deg and it's been that hot all week, that plus engine heat soak must have put paid to the adhesive that was used. I'm not livid, just very disappointed that this has happened. It also looks not that good but it'll do until I get it back to the UK.

So all you that have had this mod done, watch out for it lifting.
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Just out of interest the hood vents have little one way clips on them anyway this is how they connect to the US hood.
Why when we're fitting them in the uk are you not cutting out the hole large enough to use the little one way clips to hold it down (http://www.newtakeoff.com/2015_ford_mustang_gt_oem_guard_green_hood_heat_extractors_pair.aspx)

if you cut the hole big enough for the inner part of the vent to fit inside then the outer edge of the cut should be able to catch against the one way clips.

OP
OP
Lone Survivor

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
  • Banned
The US hood is moulded to take the vents, this is why they will click in, ours isn't, so have to be bonded, however I am open to being convinced that what you propose would work.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
its recessed so the vent sits within the hood down about 4mm ish but it still just clips onto the lip of the cut out so although ours are surface mounted the lib should still be the same distance from the mount point to the bottom of the vent so the clips should work just fine on our just like the US.

the main difference is the us vent has lots of little holes for the clips to slide into ours wouldn't have the holes but the clips should at least clip tightly on one side so should hold it in place still.

I'm sure someone in the euro section did it like this (done alot of reading on the vents as I want some but don't like them sitting proud like normal euro installs) and he said it holds it just fine without having to bond them down too.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Clips get cut off by MuS anyway, along with the supporting steel thread rod that's on them that keeps them from flying off if clips were to fail on US spec ones...

I'm going to poke mine tonight after a drive, see if they're "warm" and the sealant is melting, if it Is, I expect a lot of us will be having a field day removing them, and multi sealing them somehow.

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
why cut the clips off though! make the bonnet hole larger and use the clips its what they're there for its also not difficult to put a little 4mm bolt through the inner skin (there's plenty of places to do this where hood vents should be) so you can use the metal wire retaining strap.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
why cut the clips off though! make the bonnet hole larger and use the clips its what they're there for its also not difficult to put a little 4mm bolt through the inner skin (there's plenty of places to do this where hood vents should be) so you can use the metal wire retaining strap.
If you make the hole larger there's no where to bond the vents on.

I'm tempted to drill a hole up through it and put a few screws into it, but I'd want a bolt on the other side, which is nigh impossible

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
If you make the hole larger there's no where to bond the vents on.

I'm tempted to drill a hole up through it and put a few screws into it, but I'd want a bolt on the other side, which is nigh impossible
of course there is there's about 10mm between clip surface and outer edge of vent sure it won't be smeared all over the vent but there's more than enough coupled with the clips exerting physical pressure on the vents to keep them in place you shouldn't need lashings of bonding to hold them in a nice conservative amount should suffice

sheps5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deep impact blue 2015 GT
My passenger side one has come away about 2" at the front. Seems quite solid everywhere else though. Hope to get that sorted next week. Modurstang may have to issue a recall. :lol:

Sponsored

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
I'm gonna stick with getting graphics or stripes done on the car... and if anything may change the hood complete for an Anderson Comp one at a later date...

...can't be doing with bits flying off the car... I know it's a Ford... but I don't want to perpetuate the myth!

Edit: There's a new acronym... Flying Objects Randomly Detach.

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Mine seem fine, just had a poke around.... [MENTION=11298]Greg[/MENTION]_C how're yours?

Cati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 get v8 ucl mag grey & e93 m3 cp
Silicon melts even catches fire in high temps. Epoxy them down, clean anyvexcess off with alcohol and you will be good.
Sponsored