Sponsored

GT350R as daily driver

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
Had a base GT350 and now have an R(with electronics) - Honestly, they are both great cars and I can easily make the case that the R can do DD work. Though frankly, the non-R would make for a much better DD from a comfort and ease of mind standpoint. If you need to run to a part of town that is quiet/not nice - you'll worry in the R... If you need to tow the R - good luck finding a tow truck/flat bed that you can trust... If you need get into an accident - good luck with fighting insurance on the R ADM/diminished value claim.

Guys I know daily much crazier cars than an R, but looking at R vs. non-R - I'd buy a used GT350 and call it a day.
Sponsored

OP
OP

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
Shipping

I was on the fence, but the dealer has made me an offer I don't think I can refuse, so I',m going to take the R plunge. The car is too far away so I will need to ship it. Any recommendations on shipping companies or what to look for / avoid? I talked to one company that I found through the dealer and the rates look good and they sounded reasonable on the phone. However, they said I needed to pay the driver when they show up with the car. Sounds like an odd arrangement to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I was on the fence, but the dealer has made me an offer I don't think I can refuse, so I',m going to take the R plunge. The car is too far away so I will need to ship it. Any recommendations on shipping companies or what to look for / avoid? I talked to one company that I found through the dealer and the rates look good and they sounded reasonable on the phone. However, they said I needed to pay the driver when they show up with the car. Sounds like an odd arrangement to me.

Any help would be appreciated.
Do not trust your R to someone like that. I did my research last year when I ordered mine, and will be scheduling a transporter for my June delivery. I narrowed it down to Reliable Carriers and Intercity Lines. Quotes were reasonable and close. They both transport high end cars.

OP
OP

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
Do not trust your R to someone like that. I did my research last year when I ordered mine, and will be scheduling a transporter for my June delivery. I narrowed it down to Reliable Carriers and Intercity Lines. Quotes were reasonable and close. They both transport high end cars.
Fair point. I have not heard of Reliable, but I know that Intercity is very popular on Rennlist. I have reached out to both for a quote.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
I've transported numerous cars and used brokers in the past (NY, AZ, ID to NC). Paying the driver when they arrive in cash is not unusual... You can typically save $200- $500 and also get your car sooner than some of the larger companies. Reliable and Intercity can sometimes make you wait 4-6 weeks...

Flying out and driving the car back is always a memorable experience...did that a few times with the wife.

Congrats on your new R!

Sponsored

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I used a transporter that the dealer recommended. He picked up my Raptor the day after I finalized the deal and dropped of the GT350 3 days later. I paid him cash and the cost was $700-$1,500 cheaper than other quotes.

Shabooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I picked mine up 5/23 and I dd it. I've put almost 1300 miles on it so far. The ride is a bit more stiff than my base track pack was but it's negligible. I do feel like my ass has gotten bigger b/c the seats are a little tighter in that area. Or maybe the seats are smaller? We'll go w/ that lol.

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I used to DD my GT350 then I bought another car. Not worth to ramp up miles on boring commute in a race car, or drive it in winter.

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
DD mine, none R, and if I had an R, would replace the wheels with something a bit narrower for street driving and the R splitter for the standard. My driveaway alone has torn up my non-R splitter learning how to get up and down it. Aside from only getting 200 miles to a tank of gas it's a great car. Next set of tires tho think I'll downsize to 285's upfront just for tramlining reasons. I know 285 isn;t far off from 295's, but my 15 GT had 285's all around and they were much better both in the heavy rain (Florida) and tramlining than these 295's are.

Shabooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
DD mine, none R, and if I had an R, would replace the wheels with something a bit narrower for street driving and the R splitter for the standard. My driveaway alone has torn up my non-R splitter learning how to get up and down it. Aside from only getting 200 miles to a tank of gas it's a great car. Next set of tires tho think I'll downsize to 285's upfront just for tramlining reasons. I know 285 isn;t far off from 295's, but my 15 GT had 285's all around and they were much better both in the heavy rain (Florida) and tramlining than these 295's are.
Isn't tramlining when smaller tires get stuck in the grooves in the road made by bigger cars?

Sponsored

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Isn't tramlining when smaller tires get stuck in the grooves in the road made by bigger cars?
Tramlinig is just your tires in general following ths road, but wider tires do it a lot more than thinner ones because of the large contact patch

Shabooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Tramlinig is just your tires in general following ths road, but wider tires do it a lot more than thinner ones because of the large contact patch
Ok cool. I just thought it was when smaller tires did it. :doh:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I could daily my base R. I have no issues driving the R, it's always a fun ride. Just gotta keep an eye out for speed bumps and taller entry drives

Last edited:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Ive been DD my GT350 while my other car is in the shop and im always worried about door dings. I supposed to go out in the city and all im worried about is where to park it.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Ive been DD my GT350 while my other car is in the shop and im always worried about door dings. I supposed to go out in the city and all im worried about is where to park it.
Ditto, I hear you.

I got a huge ding on my previous GT500 once, and cost me over 200 to get it repaired paint-less... my wife says now I have OCD when I take the Shelby and park in a lot .... People just don't take care.
Sponsored