Sponsored

Any past BMW owners here?

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Rapid Red 401A PP1 A10 Magneride
Past E30 325e, E34 530i (V8,manual), Z3 2.8, E36 M3, and E39 M5.

The S550 reminds me of the E39 M5. Similarly responsive, even though the M5 had ITB's. Sounds very similar to it from the inside, but the M5 had more of an exotic bark on the outside. Of course, now that I've put the flowmasters on, the S550 is appropriately puerile.

Added bonus: cops used to always ticket me in my BMW's, but now let me off with warnings (5 times) or given me a break (once; lowered the ticketed speed by 10mph and as non-work-zone when it was) in my 2012 5.0 and the current 2015.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I had very good experiences with my bimmers. My sister still has my 08 328i going strong at over 135k miles. Leaks oil from the VCG and OFH but that's it.

Definitely love bimmers, and the aftermarket community is great. So many mods. But I feel that my F30 will be my last new BMW unless it's an M-car (which I might upgrade to from the S550). The new ones seem to get further and further away from their original driving experience.

The S550 is the first american car I've owned and it surprised me how much of an improvement they made - it is 80-90% the car that the bimmers are at anywhere from 50-60% of the cost.

I will miss my F30 when it's gone back after the lease is over. The car feels so nimble compared to my S550.
I'm sorry, valve covers shouldn't be leaking at 200k miles let alone 135k miles. I had a friend that had the same issue and the repair at BMW cost him an arm and a leg.

I personally owned a 2002 525iT wagon and while I liked it, it ate tires and had stupid expensive parts. Will never buy a BMW again.

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
. Leaks oil from the VCG and OFH but that's it.
VCG = valve cover gasket
OFH = oil filter housing (BMW's use paper elements swapped out from canister housings)

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry, valve covers shouldn't be leaking at 200k miles let alone 135k miles. I had a friend that had the same issue and the repair at BMW cost him an arm and a leg.

I personally owned a 2002 525iT wagon and while I liked it, it ate tires and had stupid expensive parts. Will never buy a BMW again.
VCG's on all of mine started seeping oil around ~60K. Annoying, but on the older ones, DIY.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
VCG's on all of mine started seeping oil around ~60K. Annoying, but on the older ones, DIY.
Yeah...until the PCV valve goes out and starts blowing smoke out of the tailpipes, or the wiper motors go out costing a small fortune, or the ECU decides to take a shit, or the rear airbags start freaking out...or...you get the picture.

And for those that don't know, the PCV valve on BMMs (CCV) are a royal PITA. Parts are $150-$200 and replacing it is a 4 hour job.

Sponsored

Carzzi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, and don't forget to proactively replace the valley pan gaskets on the V8's! And the notorious oil-pump nut!

I tell you, every night after factory warranty expired was nightmare-filled on that M5. Every day I drove it, though, was a technicolor dream. I sold it shortly after I replaced the cam position sensors (out-of-warranty) and the diff-bushing ("wear item", not covered).

J-Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP
I actually just traded in my 135i. I loved that car and would still have it would it not be for it constantly breaking on me. But after 3 oil leaks and 2 water pumps in the last couple years, it was time to get rid of it. Plus it needed tires and brakes at time of trade in so it seemed to be perfect time.
You did the right thing. I loved my 135i M Pack with jb, downpipes, and exhaust. But damn did it star giving me issues. Water pump, power steering pulley, serpentine belt, both turbos and wastegates, charge pipe, vcg leaking oil bad, windshield seal, starter motor, couple of batteries, all before 70k miles. And I might be forgetting something.
By the way, sold it privately, and the day of the transaction was when the starter blew, just when the new owner was about to turn it on and drive away.

I went from a S197 to a e82 135iM and back to a pony car with my s550. Cant say I dont miss my bimmer but wont get back in one unless I get an extended warranty and a hell of a deal on a 1M or e46 M3 (and not for daily).

Comparing the s550 (gt prem pp) with the bimmer and s197, I'd say the s550 is pretty much in the middle. Much better handling, planted feel, and interior than my s197 (base gt brembo pack), but still lagging a bit in handling feel and interior quality to my e82. The bmw felt a bit more nimble, the turbos kicked your ass with huge torque, and the hydraulic steering felt a bit better to me. Of course most of these things can be dealt with through the aftermarket, and I plan to in the future. :headbang::ford:

All in all I absolutely love my car!

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

How'd she hold up?
Like crap; i bought it to avoid a car payment when i got here to germany. Bit it seemed like i wastaking it in every month to fix something.

I couldnt even sell it at the end. I would had to fix over $5k worth of stuff jist to pass inspection; so i dumped it at the post autorecycling center.

I will never consider anotger BMW outside of warranty again; and even with warranty it will be a hard sell.

AlexhadanM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Blue
Had an M3 then I sold it for a 2017 Mustang GT base with performance pack. Sold the mustang after 5 months because I couldn't stand it. BMW has a better ride, interior, handling and power band. Now I'm back in a BMW and couldn't be happier. I do want a GT350 though.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Had an M3 then I sold it for a 2017 Mustang GT base with performance pack. Sold the mustang after 5 months because I couldn't stand it. BMW has a better ride, interior, handling and power band. Now I'm back in a BMW and couldn't be happier. I do want a GT350 though.

Well the GT350 interior is the same interior that the GT has.

Sponsored

AlexhadanM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Blue
Well the GT350 interior is the same interior that the GT has.
I had the base GT. I would have been way happier had I gotten the premium

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had the base GT. I would have been way happier had I gotten the premium

yeah, cant compare a base mustang interior with a BMW interior

The Premium interior is probably closer but Id bet most would feel it still lacks in comparison of the BMW.

Berstuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP M/T Competition Orange
yeah, cant compare a base mustang interior with a BMW interior

The Premium interior is probably closer but Id bet most would feel it still lacks in comparison of the BMW.
The premium interior in my 2015 premium is nicer than my 2006 325i. Loved my BMW but got tired of repairing it constantly. The Mustang looks better, handles better, and is way more powerful with the same fuel economy. If only it had BMW's steering weight....

WarrENDeatH

The Batman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R 'Hellbat'
F30 owner...I loved it. Fun car, great torque at the beginning. Super smooth. Felt a bit cheap for what I was paying for it. I wasn't a fan of the stigma I got with it (which is ironic because Mustangs get so much shit too).

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm looking at picking up a used 328d to commute to work. Any thoughts on its reliability, I have no experience with bmw. I like the idea of 45 mpg but I'm not willing to get something terrible like a prius
Sponsored