Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
I use a 16mm socket and then a magnet to pull them out. Man this thread is old haha.
Sponsored

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Two things I have found to help some with spark plugs in deep wells.

1) I use an extension with pin, not ball to hold socket so no matter what i do the socket will never come off (which could damage plug electrode.

2) Instead of using spark plug socket to put plug in and get thread started, I put plug on a section of hose and drop/slide that down and its easy to get plug straight and thread first couple of threads. Then of course move to socket to finish tightening.

stevnoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt base manual 3.31
Yea it is old it's been 4months now since I posted about my car being stock a lot has changed. Plugs r still holding up to I just checked them like last week. Ngks

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I always use a piece of 3/8" ID fuel line (rubber hose) when changing plugs. I loosen the plug with the ratchet/spark plug socket that the rubber insert fell out of many years ago. Then slip the hose down in there right over the spark plug and lift it out. When installing them, the hose makes it so I can start threading the plug in and feel the threads so it doesn't get cross-threaded. Once it's turned in a bit, I pull the hose off and tighten the rest of the way with the ratchet. I've been using the same piece of hose about 12" long for probably 20+ years. Another benefit is with these fragile platinum plugs, I can lower it down in there very safely, no risk of it falling.

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
I always use a piece of 3/8" ID fuel line (rubber hose) when changing plugs. I loosen the plug with the ratchet/spark plug socket that the rubber insert fell out of many years ago. Then slip the hose down in there right over the spark plug and lift it out. When installing them, the hose makes it so I can start threading the plug in and feel the threads so it doesn't get cross-threaded. Once it's turned in a bit, I pull the hose off and tighten the rest of the way with the ratchet. I've been using the same piece of hose about 12" long for probably 20+ years. Another benefit is with these fragile platinum plugs, I can lower it down in there very safely, no risk of it falling.
Right , This is safest way in my book, been doing it for ever like that.

Sponsored

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Quick Tip: After close to 30 years of use, the rubber in my 5/8 spark plug socket no longer held the SP in place. The flip side... my new socket, wont let go of the plug! After installing the SP, my extension would separate at the socket leaving the socket in the well. Duct tape to the rescue!
That's a great idea, but if you take a little spark plug greese as well and put it on the end that goes into the socket, it creates a vacuum almost when you pull the tool out and you don't loose the end :). Just a thought, but duct take sure works

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange

OxWhiteEB

GR8_WHT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Ecoboost
Sorry for bringing this thread alive again..
What should I gap my plugs to? Being FBOs + bigturbo + watermeth? 0.26 or 0.28?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Sorry for bringing this thread alive again..
What should I gap my plugs to? Being FBOs + bigturbo + watermeth? 0.26 or 0.28?
You should ask SpeedFactory for the best answer. How much boost do they have you running? Closer to 20, I'd go with .028. If it's 25 psi or more, I'd go down to .026 and then data log and see how they're doing and adjust from there.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Keep this in mind:
i installed IVT22's 7500 miles ago
gapped them at .028
when I pulled them to check them, the gaps had opened from .030 to .034
so, check them every few thousand miles for condition and gap.
This is what they looked like :

Sponsored

Yellowboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang ecoboost
I have the ford performance tune and just bought the ngk 6510 plugs what gap do I need to run these at?

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)

SVOv2.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP 6MT
Is the gap opening over time specific to a certain brand/model of plugs? Or does it have to do with the mods/tune?

The reason I ask is my stock plugs were at .028/.0275 at 10K miles. At 20K miles, when I replaced them, they was no noticeable increase in gap. I just replaced them out with MOTORCRAFT SP537. They were all pre-gapped to .028.

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
Is the gap opening over time specific to a certain brand/model of plugs? Or does it have to do with the mods/tune?

The reason I ask is my stock plugs were at .028/.0275 at 10K miles. At 20K miles, when I replaced them, they was no noticeable increase in gap. I just replaced them out with MOTORCRAFT SP537. They were all pre-gapped to .028.
The gap widening over time is specific to what metal the center electrode is made of. The Denso ITV22 and NGK 6510 center electrodes are made of an iridium alloy. It is an incredibly hard metal and resists erosion from sparks incredibly well. It's not unusual for iridium electrode spark plugs to go for 50k-100k with minimal wear. I have used iridium electrode spark plugs for years and, after over 30k miles, have not seen any opening in the gap. I don't know what happened with Chef Jpd's spark plugs. I put Denso ITV22 spark plugs in my EBM about 17k miles ago. I just recently checked the gap and it had not changed at all.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.