Sponsored

Help needed for clear coat damage from bird dropping.

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Is there a good cleaner wax or something to fix (apparent) clear coat damage from bird dropping left on too long? Would clay bar work here (I just thought of this)? Something available from a local store would be preferred as I have time today to work on this.

Wax was depleted and car was parked outside unwashed for a month. After foaming and washing, a few places where bird droppings were, they are visible (in the clear coat I assume). I tried using some Meguires cleaner polish on one good sized poop spot on the rear bumper. It did not phase it. I am hesitant to try some Dupont polishing compound I have on hand as this caused micro scratches when used on another small spot from bugs on the front of the car.

I have been negligent in that I have had my normally garage stored mustang parked outside unwashed. I had been lazy with all the rain not washing it.

After only ever hand washing (though not often enough lately) and full time garaging, with my period of laziness, I may have compromised the finish. Maybe I need to invest the time to clay bar the entire car again like I did when I got it two years ago.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
No solution. Only sanding it and paint will fix it now. SUCKS!

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
No solution. Only sanding it and paint will fix it now. SUCKS!
Lol wtf

This reply is not even remotely accurate.

We would need pictures, but generally clay/polish/seal at the most basic level will resolve that. I recommend reading through the many very good detailing threads here, utilizing the search function, then asking *specific* questions that demonstrate putting the time into reading what we have already posted instead of asking us to do it again... and post pics.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
Lol wtf

This reply is not even remotely accurate.

We would need pictures, but generally clay/polish/seal at the most basic level will resolve that. I recommend reading through the many very good detailing threads here, utilizing the search function, then asking *specific* questions that demonstrate putting the time into reading what we have already posted instead of asking us to do it again... and post pics.
It is absolutely accurate. You will never be able to fix the etching left behind from bird poop once it has been left on the paint that long..25 years in the collision repair industry working on high end new cars. Don't need pics. You can wetland and polish as much as you want. It is etched! My custom garage kept,never driven in rain,hand rubbed only, covered in wax, show car got crapped on at a show. Was on the paint maybe for hours. Etched!
Once again, only fix is to sand and repaint. :mad:
IMG_0254.jpg
IMG_0353.jpg

Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
Can I pay you to fly here and show me then. Learn something new everyday. PLEASE!:cheers:
Oh by the way, my skill and knowledge has allowed me to retire a multi millionaire at age 39. But, still learning something new everyday! You could be right. BUT YOU ARE NOT!:lol:

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
I just dealt with this 2 days ago on my 2016 black GT. Bird pooped on top edge of my door and left that etch in the clear coat. I used Meguiars m205 and kept working it until you can't see it any more. I followed up with straight wax and very happy with result.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Can I pay you to fly here and show me then. Learn something new everyday. PLEASE!:cheers:
Oh by the way, my skill and knowledge has allowed me to retire a multi millionaire at age 39. But, still learning something new everyday! You could be right. BUT YOU ARE NOT!:lol:
Lmfao *cringe* money can't buy class

OP throw up some pics and I'll tell you how to fix it without stripping and reprinting your entire vehicle lol

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
OP throw up some pics and I'll tell you how to fix it without stripping and reprinting your entire vehicle lol
The first 3 pics are of just trying Meguiar's cleaner wax (Sunday), which had no effect on the spot. Luckily it it is not in a really noticeable place like on the hood or in the middle of a door or fender. It is it is on the side of the back bumper, just before it curves to the back.

These next three photos were after I just tried clay barring the area of the spot. Wow, it now looks worse. The etched spot does not look much if any less noticeable, but the area I barred looks like it actually sanded the clear coat in splotches, like the clear coat had orange peel and the high spots were dulled. I did use a clay bar that was from my original clay bar session when I got the car two years ago, but it looked clean and certainly did not do that to my paint 2 years ago. As a lubricant, I used Duragloss 921 Detail Spray. Maybe the clay stored in a zip lock bag aged or deteriorated over time??

Yesterday I bought, but did not use yet, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound and a new McGuiar's Clay Bar kit.

I did try searching cleaner wax, bird poop, bird, and poop before posting and got zero hits.

I'm guessing Meguire's Ultimate Compound -or- cracking open the 'new' clay bar might be next steps, but I'll wait until I hear from your guy's experience.

blown302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 mustang gt/2004 svt cobra/2016 GT PP
you don't need ultimate compound for this. Start with something milder like m205 like I said worked for me in previous post on black paint. You can't even see it now. I had exact same stain.

Sponsored
OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
you don't need ultimate compound for this. Start with something milder like m205 like I said worked for me in previous post on black paint. You can't even see it now. I had exact same stain.
I'll order some M205. Good to know it is steps milder/less coarse (≈4) vs. Ultimate Compound (≈8 ) on one scale I found. I wonder where tooth paste falls in coarseness scale.

I found this scale helpful, though there are variables they say.

https://www.autopia.org/forums/pain...d-9-2015-autopia-polish-comparison-chart.html

I was surprised to find that my P21S is NOT a protective coat. Should I use my Duragloss 921 Detail spray as a protective coat over P21S? Or maybe Meguiars Cleaner wax? (two product I have on hand) Or is P21S to be used 'over' say a cleaner wax?

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Ok these look simple enough to deal with...

The first step I would try is to rehydrate the organic compounds that are left on the surface. Lay a wet towel over the spots impacted by bird droppings to rehydrate and then attempt to remove the rest of the organic compounds with clay bar and clay lube solution (I use diluted Optimum No-Rinse car wash for this btw).

If that doesn't work, or you can still see the droppings then move on to a polish. You should try the least abrasive option first, and I never recommend toothpaste for the record. I would second the suggestion of M205, if you can see it working but still isn't up to your standards think about keeping with 205 but moving to a firmer pad. If you just can't get there, hit it with M105 *but* you need to follow this step up by polishing everything down with M205 because 105 doesn't finish nearly well enough for such a deep color (or, at all.. don't let anyone tell you different!). If that STILL leaves the bird droppings, you will need to wet sand. It's not as scary as it sounds, just go slow/keep wet/use a foam block under the paper. But... before you do that, come on back and get some more advice.

Always work least abrasive to most abrasive! Should be easy enough.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Agree with the above...ALWAYS start mild and get more abrasive from there. You keep trying something till you see an effect. Also, the polish you use in combination with certain pads you must watch for also. So start mild with both...keep getting slightly more abrasive until it's corrected. Once you have the etching gone, seal/wax. Now, if the etching went all the way through the clearcoat, then you would have to keep going and the re-shoot with clear.

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Glad I heard here to not use the Meg's Ultimate Compound I had just bought! At least until trying M205 (and several times if it seems to be making progress). For once, procrastination turned out to be prudent patience. :D The M205 should be here in a few days.

EDIT:I Googled and reusing clay seems a non issue. But since I got a questionable result w/ my old clay, I'm ordering a new bar (and returning the $18 'Kit'. ;o) [Any comments on why after using the 2 year old clay bar that I got the scattered and dulling effect (see 4th pic. vs. 3rd pic. in my post #9) on the area I clayed? It was not a fresh 'old' bar. It was one I had used on the car within weeks after my ordered mustang arrived. Is it bad to use clay stored in a zip lock for two years? It did not seem gritty or look dirty at all and was flexible and putty like. But I did not kneed it before this use, just used the already flat surface to clay right out of the zip lock bag. I did buy a new Meguiars Clay kit the other day in case I need fresh clay.]
Sponsored

Last edited: