Mustang GT4.R vs Camaro (ZL1 1LE)GT4.R

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
That thing better be faster than an ACR viper for that price tag, forget about the 1le zl1!
Well, it's beaten Aston Martin Vantages, Porsche Cayman GT4s and McLaren GT4s on the race track, and hopefully it will take care of the Camaro GT4 this weekend at COTA!

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Maybe I'm not getting it, but with all the BOP that goes on in the various racing organizations, I don't put too much stock in racing performance. If a car does well, it may be that it's just less restricted, and will get weight or a restrictor plate put in to lower its performance later.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
That thing better be faster than an ACR viper for that price tag, forget about the 1le zl1!

That money isn't just going into making the car fast, but rather safe and durable enough for competitive racing.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
In practice the mustang and Camaro were not up to par yet. 1 mustang 1 Camaro and 8 caymans 4 mclarens 2 AM's
Where did all the Mustangs GT4's go ??? The ST class recently gets more coverage then the GS class . Judging from the response on this post it seems like the shelby owners are not into road racing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
It's got to be pretty fast as it's carrying a couple hundred kilos more than the little "super cars" and the Cayman. Looks like the price includes the 5.2L cross plane racing engine and lots of goodies like the sequential gearbox and huge brakes.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang too bad.

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Not a good day for the only Mustang at COTA today.:mad: At least the Camaro didn't win.

OP
OP
JohnZiraldo

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
Anyone know what happened with Scott Maxwell and Jade Buford? Their car was a no-sho for the race.
Protest over BOP?
Instructed by IMSA & GM to sit out the first Camaro GT4 race?

Sponsored

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Another bad day for Ford on both sides of the Atlantic. Saturday at Spa the Ford GTs couldn't keep up with the cars from Ferrari and came in 3rd and 4th, maybe not a horrible thing going into Le Mans' BoP changes.

At COTA both of the GTs in the IMSA race had issues on lap one and had to pit, one with mechanical damage from a shunt with numerous other GTLM cars, the other had to be towed in with electrical gremlins. They made the best of it, finishing many laps down, in 5th and 6th, but ahead of a Corvette, a Porsche and a Ferrari to earn valuable points.

Joey Hand in the #66 Ford GT even got an extra point for the fastest lap of the race, darting into the pits for fresh softer compound rubber on a light fuel load with around 15 min. remaining and a couple laps in hand over the car behind him. Pretty damn smart in my book. Looking for better results next time for Mustangs and GTs!

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
One corvette had a good day. Too bad the first lap took out some front runners. The Taylor brothers are dominating ( 4 in a row) but so what. There's not much excitement in that class or competition. I wish the people over at Cadillac would just stay In the WC series. From what I could see there wasn't much of a crowd compared to races like Daytona or Road Atlanta. I watched the race on my iPad and watched baseball on the TV. That's how much excitement IMSA gets these days.

Last edited:

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
A couple quotes from sportscar365.com:

***Jade Buford and Scott Maxwell were unable to defend their championship points lead at COTA because the Ford Mustang they had driven under the KohR Motorsports banner at Sebring was being refitted into final GT4 homologation according to team principal and driver Dean Martin.

***Martin said the KohR car that he co-drove with Jack Roush Jr. at COTA was still in the same configuration that it had run in at Daytona and Sebring and would be updated to fit GT4 regulations as soon as the team returned to their shop from COTA. Martin and Roush finished sixth in the GS class on Friday.

***Martin said it was likely that a second KohR-run Mustang would be seen again in Continental Tire Challenge this season, but said it would not necessarily be Buford or defending series co-champion Maxwell behind the wheel.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
Multimatic is stretched pretty thin right now, with the GT road car and GT race car programs.

When they lost Billy Johnson as co-driver with Scott Maxwell, I think they decided to step back from racing the Mustang and racing against their customers, to more supporting to their customers with cars and parts.

traxiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Let's hope for more customers soon, world wide.
Sponsored