April 2017 Mustang Sales

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I'll be contributing to the May sales, possibly June...

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
Canada almost made up the 700 car difference in the US with
1028 Mustangs compared to
394 Camaros in Canada for April.

US + Canada April Total Sales
Mustang 9091
Camaro 9131
Delta +40 for Camaro

Canada 2017 YTD Sales April
Mustang 2333
Camaro 922
Delta +1411 for Mustang

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
had a scroll through this thread and my 2c worth.

S550 Mustang seems to be a great success for Ford USA. Going Global Platform (LHD / RHD) was a very clever move. To be honest I could never understand why Ford USA were not doing this years ago. Just look at BMW / VW / Mercedes / Porsche etc

Total Mustang Production numbers are all that matters, it keeps the factory going and people in jobs and we all know how hard its been for car makers in the USA over the past 40 odd years.

Ford need to learn from the S550 Mustang sales success around the world and start cranking out Right Hand Drive F150's and watch those puppies sell overseas.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Ford need to learn from the S550 Mustang sales success around the world and start cranking out Right Hand Drive F150's and watch those puppies sell overseas.
Those probably will be a hit in Australia and New Zealand, but in Europe they would fail miserably. There is zero pickup culture over here.

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Good luck selling them in europe. Nobody drives a pickup here beside the few people who use them for their companies. And even the Mustang is a huge car here and you can get problems finding a parking spot where it can fit in. Try that in a F150

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
The one "gripe" I have with my 16 GT is it won't turn around in the street like my 14 S197 Cyclone would, well if I burnout, and spin the wheel it will turn around. The wheelbase is too much for my liking.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
Canada almost made up the 700 car difference in the US with
1028 Mustangs compared to
394 Camaros in Canada for April.

US + Canada April Total Sales
Mustang 9091
Camaro 9131
Delta +40 for Camaro

Canada 2017 YTD Sales April
Mustang 2333
Camaro 922
Delta +1411 for Mustang
Be interesting to know how those numbers break down between provinces.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Why are you comparing the performance pack to the base SS? By doing so, you are neglecting one of the big advantages of the Mustang: It's like $4K cheaper to start.

(Funny that it's still cheaper with the performance pack, though... that pack doesn't give you any significant straight-line speed advantages, but gives you some worthwhile upgrades, even compared to the Camaro, for the track)
As a recent buyer of a S550 PP, I have to agree with Kelly's assessment. The base 1SS is the equivalent to the GT PP. The non PP is lacking quite a few things from the base 1SS.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
If I were in the market, I would wait a few months for an 18 as well.
To tell you the truth I thought sales would take a nosedive after the refresh was unveiled, the fact that it sold so many in its 3rd year with the new model and it;s new gadgetry out is simply amazing. That it takes the one of the best months of Camaro sales to just barely edge out the outgoing model in one of it's poorest months is even more surprising.

Sponsored

6String

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
I think the details of the cars in the pics below, when talking $30K+ performance vehicles trumps anything.

The way I see it, the S550 has proven to be loved by many. The looks have been accepted very well, and have brought an entire new buyer to the Mustang platform. Mission accomplished. However, see the specs below - this is where I think the consumers start to think:

"Well damn. Since I am spending all this money on a new performance car, why get the one with the least amount of power and performance"

Unless of course, you think more people buy Camaros due to the looks.
Just once I would like to see someone post actual statistics, rather than an opinion that "performance sells". Sells what? Sells how many? Do bragging rights mean 1,000 more sales? 100 more sales?

Performance is for magazine reviews; to draw interest. I grant you that. And I do understand what you are saying--a certain segment is going to be drawn to the shiniest, newest, fastest. But performance has a limited influence when the average buyer goes car shopping. How much can I spend? Do I like the looks? What kind of value am I getting for my money? Those are the type of questions most of us ask.

In fact, the specs your presented show a good example of the exact opposite--that performance doesn't sell. The 2016 SS has more HP than the GT, and with the AT is faster. Yet in 2016 the Mustang sold over 105K units in the US to 72k Camaros. By performance alone, shouldn't the Challenger be the sales leader instead of third?

Here's an interesting idea for you--take the specs of the 2016 Camaro and instead of the Mustang, compare the specs against the 2015 Camaro--Apples to apples as is the case. (Here's what you'll see.) The 2016 has more HP. It is lighter, and it is faster. So, I am open to a rational explanation of why, given a distinct performance dis-advantage the 2015 Camaro easily outsold the 2016 Camaro.

DerekSmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
GT 6MT, Falcon FGX XR6 Ute & Focus ST
Good luck selling them in europe. Nobody drives a pickup here beside the few people who use them for their companies. And even the Mustang is a huge car here and you can get problems finding a parking spot where it can fit in. Try that in a F150
last time I was back in the UK there were plenty of Ford Rangers, Nissan Nivara, VW Ameroks and pretty sure Mercedes X class will sell in the UK.

I thought Germans would have been ok with bigger cars and being able to park then, after all there must be plenty of SUV's and 7 series BMW etc there?

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
If I were in the market, I would wait a few months for an 18 as well.
To tell you the truth I thought sales would take a nosedive after the refresh was unveiled, the fact that it sold so many in its 3rd year with the new model and it;s new gadgetry out is simply amazing. That it takes the one of the best months of Camaro sales to just barely edge out the outgoing model in one of it's poorest months is even more surprising.
I'm the guy who does a lot of research before I buy a coffee maker, let alone a car. However, most buyers walk into a dealership with almost no idea of what they are looking or specifications. Most people have no idea that a refresh is even coming, and if you put a picture in front of them they couldn't pick one from the other.

People buying sports cars are better informed than average, but I would still hazard to guess that many are primary shopping on looks, color, features and either don't know or don't care about the refresh.

joeyd5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Platinum White 2017 Mustang GT Convertible
If Ford wants to improve their numbers they Need to start offering some sort of Lease Support for GT's. There is No Valid reason why a Interest rate at Tier 1 on a lease for any GT is at 6% which is bringing a GT Premium convertible payment to over $640-$700 a month with zero down. I recently saw a lease deal for a Charger Hellcat with zero down at $580 a month! Now that's a great deal if your into those shit boxes. Ford really needs to tap into the market of people who want the GT but don't want to finance it for 60 months and take a huge loss when they wanna get rid of it after 3 years.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The one "gripe" I have with my 16 GT is it won't turn around in the street like my 14 S197 Cyclone would, well if I burnout, and spin the wheel it will turn around. The wheelbase is too much for my liking.

The wheelbase for the S197 and the S550 are exactly the same. :doh:
Sponsored