Sponsored

Canister Oil filter on 2017 GT350R

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
The purpose-built Voodoo oil filter is as high-quality as any filter I've ever seen, and I'm a big dork over on BITOG who likes to dissect filters. The small media area, cardboard endcap canister filters don't give me a whole lot of reason to believe that "new" is "better".

My two cents: The only reason the new style exists is to reduce user error and minimize Ford's liability.
Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Believe it or not, this very scenario happened when I attended. Filter came loose, pressure overcame the uncompressed rubber gasket and suddenly blew past. Oil ended up making contact with the exhaust system and created quite a bit of smoke. Many thought it was on fire. The underside of the car was slathered in oil and was pulled from duty for the day.
Not to hijack - but when did you attend the Track Attack [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION]? When I was there last October, one of the prepped Mustang GT's that a guest driver was using had a failure similar to what you described. I was right behind him going into the hairpin on the west track and it was interesting to say the least.

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Not to hijack - but when did you attend the Track Attack [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION]? When I was there last October, one of the prepped Mustang GT's that a guest driver was using had a failure similar to what you described. I was right behind him going into the hairpin on the west track and it was interesting to say the least.
Yeah, and I was right behind you! :eyebulge:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I was there at the end of August, around the 28th IIRC.

Sponsored

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
Thats a dumbass design...

With the spin-on you can poke a hole at the bottom with a screwdriver and let it drain before removing so you don't make a complete mess. Other car makers that have canister style pointing downward have a check valve and tool to drain the housing before removal. Others have it point up so it drains back into the engine so there no mess.
Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 12.14.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-25 at 12.14.42 PM.png

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Looks skinny

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Thats a dumbass design...

With the spin-on you can poke a hole at the bottom with a screwdriver and let it drain before removing so you don't make a complete mess. Other car makers that have canister style pointing downward have a check valve and tool to drain the housing before removal. Others have it point up so it drains back into the engine so there no mess.
Although I agree with you.
The problem with a filter housing drain is that it allows for another potential failure. Most idiots can't even figure out how to torque a spin on oil filter. Remember all the bickering about "why does the manual say not to apply oil to the filter gasket" this was a thread topic awhile back because you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Because without the oil on the gasket it reduces the chance of the filter working loose.
I always clean and dry the filter housing surface with brake clean before installing the oil filter.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7

Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Although I agree with you.
The problem with a filter housing drain is that it allows for another potential failure. Most idiots can't even figure out how to torque a spin on oil filter. Remember all the bickering about "why does the manual say not to apply oil to the filter gasket" this was a thread topic awhile back because you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Because without the oil on the gasket it reduces the chance of the filter working loose.
I always clean and dry the filter housing surface with brake clean before installing the oil filter.
Geez, it would never to have occurred to me to read the owners manual before an oil change, AND it would never had occurred to me NOT to run a bead on the gasket.

Gotta love these forums, one GT350 engine saved. And no this post is not sarcasm. One old dog, one new trick learned.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Yeah, and I was right behind you! :eyebulge:
I remember that. I was there too.... iirc leading the pack on the West track (:D) and after coming around on the next lap I felt squirelly entering Demon-Devil-Diablo sector. :eyebulge:

It took a good 20mins for that area of the track to get cleaned up.... we were all just waiting in the garages conversing while the next group's session was delayed.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I bought supplies for my first oil change (on my 2017 car) this weekend. Thanks all that have posted part numbers and torque spec of the plastic housing! The parts guy kept insisting that my car uses the spin on filter, I had to show him the plastic canister on my car outside. Then he tried to tell me my car only needed 8.5 qts.... thankfully the other parts guy overheard and was more helpful.

34080155653_28935b4766_c.jpg

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I don't know where you guys are getting not to put oil on the oil filter gasket. The replacement supplement book that came with my oil filter wrench for my 2017 says (2)"wipe the engine seal surface and threads with a clean rag" (3)"apply oil to the new oil filter seal" Mine isn't an R so don't know if that would make any kind of difference. wouldn't think so. Voodooo I suggest you read the supplement manual again before you put out this kind of info and some one takes your word and doesn't read there supplement book and find out your statement isn't true.

Last edited:

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I don't know where you guys are getting not to put oil on the oil filter gasket. The replacement supplement book that came with my oil filter wrench for my 2017 says (2)"wipe the engine seal surface and threads with a clean rag" (3)"apply oil to the new oil filter seal" Mine isn't an R so don't know if that would make any kind of difference. wouldn't think so.
I saw that too when I looked in mine.
Sponsored