Sponsored

Automatic and S mode

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I like drivingn in S mode from time to time. Only "issue" I seem to have is with 1st gear. My issue is when stopped and then proceeding to turn from say a stop sign. The car holds 1st until you paddle it. The difficult part though is the fact that the wheel is now turning and it can be hard to keep you fingers on the paddle to hit 2nd. Otherwise, you really rev out 1st gear more than you would like to. Probably no real solution Im guessing.
Sponsored

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Get paddle extenders first if you're going to be using them a lot. Trust me. Second, if it's a 90 degree or more, hit up for 2nd mid-turn with your left hand.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
Give it more gas, it'll shift up. Or just shift back into D

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Drive in D mode maybe?
Yes, I hate paddles on the steering wheel. They should be on the steering column. Although a +/- position on the central shifter would be nice.
Also why I traded the auto in for a manual.

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
Short shift into second right before you turn, its not that big of a drama.

Sponsored

Ilovemyv8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th An. Race Red Auto
I usually shift to D then back to S to let it auto shift from 1st to 2nd. The paddle shifters are great for straights and mild turns. The auto shifting in S is good from 1st to 4th then sucks after that. Just learn to shift to D coming to a stop or hard turn then shift to S then give a chance to auto shift before touching the paddles.

magnetic5oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vadim
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
When I drive in S I usually use the paddles and manually shift the transmission. When at a stop you can up shift to 2nd or 3rd and take off in those gears. I hardly use 1st since with my 3.55 rear end that 1st gear is really short :D

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
So I thought about starting a new thread since this the second one with this title basically, but...how is Sport Plus different than plain old S?

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
When you are driving in a sporting manner, it isn't advisable to upset the chassis with a mid-corner shift.

So, since you aren't driving spiritedly doing a 90 degree turn from a stop sign don't use Sport mode.

OP
OP
Ggradtech

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
When you are driving in a sporting manner, it isn't advisable to upset the chassis with a mid-corner shift.

So, since you aren't driving spiritedly doing a 90 degree turn from a stop sign don't use Sport mode.
Its not that Im driving "spritly" in a sharp turn from go. Its nice just to drop it in "S" and leave it there. Right turns are the only ones that pose the issue. I did take the advice as to using my left hand on the right turns to use the paddle into 2nd. Easier to get to the paddle to shift into 2nd this way for sure. Its only that 1st to 2nd right 90* turns.

Sponsored

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
I shift with the paddles all the time. It's simply an exercise that requires practice and repetition to acquire the muscle memory. Whether in an auto or manual as said earlier you generally want to shift up or down while in as straight as possible. Driving in S mode doesn't mean you're driving spirited any more than driving a manual means you're racing. We all chose how we want to drive the car. In time you'll get used to where the paddles are, when to shift early or late and what gears to start out in. Those elements are exactly like learning to drive a manual car.

klineka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
So I thought about starting a new thread since this the second one with this title basically, but...how is Sport Plus different than plain old S?
This chart might help. One of the biggest differences is when you are in S, if you use the paddle shifters, it stays in manual shift mode until you go back to D. If you have the shifter at D and go to Sport+ mode, the paddle shifter will work for a downshift, but after a few seconds it goes back to automatic shifting.

Attachments

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
This chart might help. One of the biggest differences is when you are in S, if you use the paddle shifters, it stays in manual shift mode until you go back to D. If you have the shifter at D and go to Sport+ mode, the paddle shifter will work for a downshift, but after a few seconds it goes back to automatic shifting.
It sure does, thanks.
So what's the difference between sport and normal for traction control, more tire spin allowed?

OP
OP
Ggradtech

Ggradtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Take off in 2nd. Problem solved.
Im gonna try this today. It is possible? I thought I tried it before but the 1st gear icon on the dash was blinking? Im gonna give it a shit. Thanks!
Thanks also for the chart showing the different modes of S ans S+ etc.
Sponsored