Sponsored

E85 ?

MocSin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber blue Mustang GT PP
Hey guys I would be changing over to E85 soon and getting it on the dyno, I will be running 47lb injectors. What you guys recommend on draining the 91 octane out? Or do I just run the tank to almost empty and top it off? :help:
Sponsored

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I don't understand why everyone thinks they need to drain the tank. A gallon of E85 in an otherwise full tank of 91 or whatever will make no difference.

bodam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Auto
Because the level of 91 in a tank of E85 will lower the overall Octane wont it?

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
What other mods do you have? Stock injectors work with E85 on this car with bolt ons. I think some tuners recommend injectors if running after market intake manifold though.

Sponsored

slowbutfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
If your going to be running a flex fuel tune, just run it until the light comes on and fill it up. Then run it down until the light comes on again before getting on the dyno.

If you have a pure e85 tune, I would try to drain the tank first. Draining the tank seems to be a PITA though

OP
OP

MocSin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What other mods do you have? Stock injectors work with E85 on this car with bolt ons. I think some tuners recommend injectors if running after market intake manifold though.
Will be running 47lb injectors with a GT350 intake manifold, GT350 TB, JLT intake

OP
OP

MocSin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your going to be running a flex fuel tune, just run it until the light comes on and fill it up. Then run it down until the light comes on again before getting on the dyno.

If you have a pure e85 tune, I would try to drain the tank first. Draining the tank seems to be a PITA though
I will be having a pure E85 tune, any pointers or links on how to drain the fuel out?

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Just drive the damn car until the fuel light comes on and fill it up.. a gallon of 91 isn't going to kill a 14 gallons of e85.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
So no injectors needed even with LTH and intake? Those are the only mods i plan on doing with my Lund FF tune

Sponsored

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
I've been told that the "miles left til empty" estimate is pretty deadly accurate. Driving it down to <5 miles left is essentially 1/4 of a gallon. You're fine there.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Just drive the damn car until the fuel light comes on and fill it up.. a gallon of 91 isn't going to kill a 14 gallons of e85.
well it depends, if it is winter blend or crap e85 it may be as little as 70 percent ethanol. That and a gallon or more of 91 could give you a sub 70 percent mix.

If I was going to go for pure e85 tune I would run it as empty as possible as well as have a nguage or monitor to see what the ALC percentage reported via the inference strategy was before tuning.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Well you shouldn't be getting tuned on a winter blend even if you drained your tank. I don't test my e85 because I am on a flex tune but I'm willing to bet an colder climate area with e85 is still serving winter blend. I wonder if there are schedules available of when they switch between the blends for sellers.

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Considering there really isn't much of a standard for E85, it will vary from tank to tank anyways so a gallon or less with an otherwise full tank of E85 will make no difference.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Unless you are buying E85 by the barrel from a controlled environment a strictly E85 tune can get a little dicey as mentioned above gas station ethanol content varies widely. So if you have an E85 tune written with 83% alcohol in the tank, then someday another tank is only 70% you could run into issues not only with timing, but also the different stoich readings causing AFR's to be off quite a bit from optimal.

to answer your question though. you can drain the fuel via the fuel rail service port. attach a line to that port from like a fuel pressure guage, run that line into a gas jug, and run the fuel pump. takes a while, but will literally run the tank dry.

edit: I'm not even sure the coyote has a service port. will check later.
Sponsored