Sponsored

Air Conditioning (specifically the evaporator) failed after 15 months of ownership

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Hi,

So the AC evaporator failed on me this month. I took it into Ford and it took them 10 days to fix it. FORTUNATELY, I have an extended warranty with Ford that has no deductible and covers a rental car so the charge was $0.0...:cheers: but if I did not have that it would have been about $2400 including the rental car.

I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue?? I did a quick search on here but did not see anything.
Sponsored

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
It's a known issue. I had the same thing happen recently.

Bazooka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Happenend to wifes 2015 V6 at about 15 months of ownership. It had about 28k miles. Took them 2 days to fix it. Have since traded the car in.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
If I was quoted $2400 for that simple fix, it would be taken straight out of that dealership!
What a rip!

Sponsored

khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
shouldnt that be covered in your original factory warranty since youre only 15 months in?

HavasuCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Base, Competition Orange
shouldnt that be covered in your original factory warranty since youre only 15 months in?

^^This^^ Factory 36 months/36K should cover this repair.

No biggie. Things fail, just be happy it happened under warranty.

Inconvenience yes.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
min 3yr warr would cover this. I'm almost tempted to run my a/c frequently to make the Evaporator break on purpose. So many complaints it's as if every unit is faulty from the factory.

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
So many complaints it's as if every unit is faulty from the factory.
It doesn't look good for these evaps but it's a hit or miss thing.
I had a Dodge that went 7 years and then the AC went kaput....never to be right again. Even a $900 evap replacement didn't work.
On the other hand my 18 year old Miata has ice cold AC to this day.

Anything can fail (fuel pump, thermostat, clutch) and you will find another owner or ten who have the same issue and they gather on a forum like this.
That is a good thing and can help solve a problem but it can also make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I personally hope there is not some systemic weakness in the AC evap 15'-17'

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Omfg I can't believe this. Literally tried my ac today on my SI and it's dead :( it's going to be a terrible hot summer.

Sponsored

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
Omfg I can't believe this. Literally tried my ac today on my SI and it's dead :( it's going to be a terrible hot summer.
Hopefully just the compressor.

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
anyone had theirs fixed but still get that sound it would make when you turned on the a/c when it wasnt working properly throughout your drives while its on?

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anyone had theirs fixed but still get that sound it would make when you turned on the a/c when it wasnt working properly throughout your drives while its on?
Yes I had mine fixed about two weeks ago and I'm still getting the noise as if it's broken. Air is blowing cold though. Not sure what to do about it.

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
Yes I had mine fixed about two weeks ago and I'm still getting the noise as if it's broken. Air is blowing cold though. Not sure what to do about it.
i hope its normal, since i do know a few people have had their a/c go out more than once

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i hope its normal, since i do know a few people have had their a/c go out more than once
It's certainly not normal. I'm just not sure I want to deal with taking it back to the dealership right now. I will end up taking it back at some point this year before my warranty ends though.
Sponsored