Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Does anyone know which tire sets are going to be staggered?

I know the new 5 star forged wheels are stagged as I've seen close ups of the wheels.
255 front, 275 rear.
(see close up below)

I'm guessing the 20" polished wheels are mostly for looks and probably 265 square, like the current Foundry Wheels.
(edit: found a picture showing, new 20's are 265 wide)
forged2.jpg
18MST_performance_tech_04_large.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I'm sure the only staggered options will be the wheels that are available with the PP packages.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Is there really a purpose for staggering besides being annoying for not being able to rotate the tires? Makes me want to go aftermarket for some 19X9 or 19X9.5 squared.

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
Bottom Line: Ford built a car that is both Sport Car & Muscle Car.
Track or 1/4 mile drag racing it can be adapted for any purpose -
Daily driver, Sports Car, Muscle Car - I think Ford intended for the
Ford Mustang to be viewed this way.....
Ford's vision for the future of the Mustang was not clear nor written in stone when the Mustang 1 or the 65 were launched, but it certainly evolved into whatever it had to be for the times it found itself in. Sports car? Muscle car? Drag car? Track car? Show car? World car? Yes! Whatever Ford needed it to be.

My definition of a Pony car is: Long hood, 2 doors, short deck, a mustang horse emblem, and an ability to evolve into whatever you want it to be.

Cars that try to copy parts of this formula are called Camaros, etc.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Right on man !

Ford's vision for the future of the Mustang was not clear nor written in stone when the Mustang 1 or the 65 were launched, but it certainly evolved into whatever it had to be for the times it found itself in. Sports car? Muscle car? Drag car? Track car? Show car? World car? Yes! Whatever Ford needed it to be.

My definition of a Pony car is: Long hood, 2 doors, short deck, a mustang horse emblem, and an ability to evolve into whatever you want it to be.

Cars that try to copy parts of this formula are called Camaros, etc.
Hit it right on the nail. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Maybe not directly. But that is the clear implication any time that "old school muscle cars" are referenced.
It's the only kind of performance that they were any good at, and arguably the kind of performance where having a good view of the road is least needed. Heck, with the nose up on hard acceleration in 1st gear you might not see pavement until a hundred yards out (the road had damn well better go straight ahead).

I understand that much. What I don't quite get is why styling should so rigidly cling to the era when big power was the only thing that the true muscle cars had to offer, when today's cars have improved much more in the other performance driving categories. Improving sightlines over the hood is recognition that other driving attributes are also important now, where in times past they weren't perhaps even good enough for it to matter. Form should generally follow function - all functions, not fight with them.

Norm
I'm just celebrating the fact that they kept the old school muscle inspired tall hood in the '15 - '17. Ford took a shot at blending some old school with the new school direction the car went with the S550. The '18's design tells me that they are thinking of departing from the traditional styling even more as time moves on. When I sit in an '18 I'll decide if I like the lower hood or not. No question, it will make a better road course car with improved visibility. If I start tracking my '15, I'll probably hop on the hood too tall bandwagon too! For my street use, doesn't bother me. I have also daily driven trucks for the 15 plus years I've been driving so the forward visibility on this car is night and day difference from what I'm used to.

I'm not too far from the original Cheers, I'd be happy to talk car history/evolution at your long standing watering hole any day! :cheers: Or we can keep up the back on forth up on here until Ford gives us something better to talk about. Come on '18 performance numbers!

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
2018 moving forward ...

I'm just celebrating the fact that they kept the old school muscle inspired tall hood in the '15 - '17. Ford took a shot at blending some old school with the new school direction the car went with the S550. The '18's design tells me that they are thinking of departing from the traditional styling even more as time moves on. When I sit in an '18 I'll decide if I like the lower hood or not. No question, it will make a better road course car with improved visibility. If I start tracking my '15, I'll probably hop on the hood too tall bandwagon too! For my street use, doesn't bother me. I have also daily driven trucks for the 15 plus years I've been driving so the forward visibility on this car is night and day difference from what I'm used to.

I'm not too far from the original Cheers, I'd be happy to talk car history/evolution at your long standing watering hole any day! :cheers: Or we can keep up the back on forth up on here until Ford gives us something better to talk about. Come on '18 performance numbers!
Exactly right - The Ford Mustang now has to appeal to world markets not just
American Muscle Car Enthusiasts. Far cry from when it started out.
FullSizeRender.jpg

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
The original Mustang was styled after European GT 2+2's.

The fastback in particular was meant to emulate British grand touring cars..like..oh...

AM_DB5_rear.jpg

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
I'm trying to find the information about the displacement change.

I've seen rumors a few places about a slight increase to displacement to basically 5.0L or 5,000 cc exactly.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1718993&postcount=241

I've heard this is due to the Mustang going global and in some countries their advertising laws are VERY strict. ie: if you advertise the engine as 5.0L it better be 4.99-5.01 L's, or face possible law suits for almost 1% smaller engine than advertised.

The 4.942 as in the early 90's or 4.952 as in the current form could leave them exposed to possible frivolous litigation / class actions (in other countries).

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Except that some would say they bought it because it was Americana, not Europeanized.

And as 1320' posted above, European styling was an inspiration for what we call American styling :-)

It's a mixed up world, for the better.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
If you increase the current 5.0's bore to the Voodoo's bore and keep the same stroke as the current 5.0 you get 5.038.
Yes, that's what I've seen... about 5.040, but I didn't remember why.

Now that makes sense.... so they could possibly use some of the same parts from engine to engine. (cylinders/heads/ etc.)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I need to see a non-CGI version of Magnetic. This is still one of my favourite images, and the one that made me fall in love with the '18 :love:

Sponsored