Sponsored

Detailing & paint protection

Dorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, Nissan 350Z
I've read on here (and other forums - I know, the shame) about some folks getting their brand new cars detailed either pre-pickup or straightaway, and some paint protection put on.

This isn't something I've thought about doing before so genuine question - is it worth doing in a brand new car?

Does paint protection really make a difference to anything and if so any better brands etc?

And thinking ahead if I decide to do it, any recommendations in Guildford area?

Thanks!
Sponsored

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
Yes.
Protects the paint from contaminants, bird sh*t, tar, etc, keeps it cleaner longer and makes it easier to clean when necessary. Water beads and runs off.
Gtechniq.
Dont know Guildford, sorry.

Tacklebury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
I had a ceramic coating applied straight after collection.

Makes cleaning the car effortless and keeps a decent shine.

Sadly the company I used didn't do the best job so I couldn't recommend them. I would say though, spend a decent amount. I paid £450 and got £450 worth of protection. Personally I'd call Paul at Autocurators in Hook and speak to him. Lovely guy and really knows his stuff. Be prepared to spend a good chunk of cash but I promise a ceramic coating is worth every penny.

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
I have a black metallic car at the moment. I detailed it myself when I got it to get rid of all the holograming and swirling.

When my car is collected, I will snow foam, wash (2BM), clay, polish and wax it myself. A really good quality wax can last a good period of time. Gtechniq are a offering some really high quality stuff. Go to an authorised shop for application with ceramic coatings. I did the hydrophobic coatings on the window glass myself and it was amazing and lasts like 15000 miles.

I also ordered a white car this time because black stays clean all of two mins after washing and swirls aren't as visible either. Furthermore, relations with the avian creatures hit rock bottom when they decided to poop on my car mid wash on a panel I had literally just cleaned.

If your car is anything other than yellow or white, id get it done. Otherwise, don't take it to a £3 hand carwash and invest in a quality pressure washer, snowfoam lance and wash mitt.

dodo juice wax and ferrous iron remover are great along with their shampoos. Menzerna cutting polishes and chemical guys hex pads and I also have a paint depth gauge. Along with a host of other interior cleaning stuff.

Sponsored

Tacklebury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
I've just uploaded a video I made after they had visited to correct the shocking errors on the first coating. As the video shows where the ceramic is correct the water just beads away. It also clearly shows how the water clings to the unprotected panel where they have machine polished the coating off during the corrective work. Thankfully I had a small amount left so redid it myself correctly.

This video was intended for my wife so excuse the poor production quality!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Just to be a bit of a tease, Rockets are releasing a new product that does this kind of voodoo magic to a car :O

I'm getting a tester sample sent, it should just be a wipe on thing Luke's said.

As for other stuff, most has been covered above!
MAgic.png

OP
OP

Dorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the info and feedback guys, appreciated.
Filling in gaps in my knowledge - what does a 'paint correction' entail over above a detail?
Suspect the clues in the name, but just checking!

Tacklebury

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT
It involves a machine polish using a polishing compound that removes surface imperfections.

My car on delivery had very rough paint, if you ran a hand over a panel you could feel it grab back. Once 'corrected' the paint was smooth. It'll remove swirls and other light scratches in the lacquer.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Dorm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So looks like I may well get this done then!
Hope the dealers can accommodate this being done pre-pickup.

Anyone have any recommendations around Guildford?
Had a look at Autocurators from [MENTION=21724]Tacklebury[/MENTION] but doesn't to get possible alternatives!

Maoilearca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT Auto Coupe (Guard). FP PP2
Near enough to you is Basingstoke Car Detailing, who I'd definitely recommend

Dkar26

MaxPower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT premium
"paint protection" refers to film. Xpel (ultimate) and Suntek (ultra) make a self healing film that is warrantied for 10 years. It "protects" the paint from rock chips and small scratches and the like. Ceramic coatings provide a long lasting and harder "sacrificial layer", but don't protect against rock chips. They definitely make it easier to clean and make the surface shinier, but they can still be scratched/chipped. I've put both PPF on the front of my car as well as a ceramic coating (Gtechniq) on my car/wheels/calipers.

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Getting the paintwork corrected is a good thing, the type of coating that goes on afterwards does not protect against chips and you will still get scratches.I've spent alot on this and not convinced that the protection is as long lasting as advertised.

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Just to be a bit of a tease, Rockets are releasing a new product that does this kind of voodoo magic to a car :O

I'm getting a tester sample sent, it should just be a wipe on thing Luke's said.

As for other stuff, most has been covered above!
Who are 'Rockets'? Just googled them and got results about American car washes!
Sponsored