Sponsored

Amp, Sub and Dynamat Install (Long post/heavy-pic warning)

17MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium magnetic
What did you do for remote turn on for the amp. Maybe I just missed it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
@17MagneticGT : The amp I used has various options for turn-on. One of them is sensing an input signal at the RCA inputs. The amp turns on about two seconds after the radio comes on. An "inconvenience" so minor it's not really worth mentioning. So, I didn't have to use a traditional switched 12v turn on signal.

As I understand it, in that wiring harness by the right rear speaker, the thin blue/white wire is a 12v switched input that can be used as a remote turn-on. I would've used that if the signal-sensing on the amp didn't work, but it works great.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
As I understand it, in that wiring harness by the right rear speaker, the thin blue/white wire is a 12v switched input that can be used as a remote turn-on.
only issue with using that as your remote turn on, is its the power for the back up camera, therefore its only functional when the motor is running, not a big deal for most, but for those that listen to music while the motor isnt running, this not an ideal turn on

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Thanks, scott_o. I did not know that and it's obviously a very important detail! It would be a deal-breaker for me as I do sit with the engine off and listen to the radio quite a bit.

17MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium magnetic
Where is the best place to get signal wire pover from that is powered with the ignition on

Sponsored

irootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Competition Orange
I've never come across an amp that used the RCA signal as the remote turn on, it seems really interesting. My biggest problem is finding a good remote turn on point. I'm looking to install a system in my s550, is there any other amplifiers that you know of that also have this feature? I'll bet it would save me some time and effort since I would have one less wire I would have to splice into.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I've never come across an amp that used the RCA signal as the remote turn on, it seems really interesting. My biggest problem is finding a good remote turn on point. I'm looking to install a system in my s550, is there any other amplifiers that you know of that also have this feature? I'll bet it would save me some time and effort since I would have one less wire I would have to splice into.
I installed mines last year and found a great remote turn on. not sure if it what you are looking for, but it works for me. I wired my remote turn on to the passenger kick panel. There is a big round purple and green wire that is a perfect accessory on and off. I don't know what fuse it goes to so I ended up wire tapping it.

Note that I have a 2017 base GT model and this is the wire I used. You can also see that I tried a blue and white wire, but it didn't work for me. had to black taped it.

irootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where is that harness located in your car? I can't make it out from the picture

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Where is that harness located in your car? I can't make it out from the picture
Passenger side kick panel. Remove the whole thing to reveal all the harnesses there and its the one closest (kinda) to you when you look down. You will have to cut some of the black cloth tape stuff off to expose more of the wire.

irootbeer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passenger side kick panel. Remove the whole thing to reveal all the harnesses there and its the one closest (kinda) to you when you look down. You will have to cut some of the black cloth tape stuff off to expose more of the wire.
Thanks a lot man I appreciate the help :cheers:

Sponsored

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
Best remote IMHO is the cig lighter with the as built data modified so that it turns off 1 second after car power off. Lets you listen 100% of the time the radio is on.

Ecoboost_Jim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium, Race Red, manual
Mike, Great job! I liked your attention to detail. My estimate is this will cost me about $1200? Subwoofer or exhaust? Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Mike, Great job! I liked your attention to detail. My estimate is this will cost me about $1200? Subwoofer or exhaust? Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Jim. I always like to see detailed posts when I'm researching how to do something, so I try to return the good Karma when I can. :cheers:

The total cost depends on whether or not you Dynamat the trunk and whether you have to buy an amp install kit or not. Including the Stealthbox, Amp, Install kit and Dynamat the total for the "parts" was about $1,300. The Stealthbox itself was about 50% of that, but I was willing to pay for a box that essentially takes up zero room in the trunk, and also meant that I didn't have to build one. Keep in mind I already had the little roller you NEED to install the Dynamat, but that's only about $10. I also had all zip ties, zip tie bases, tools, etc.

Not sure on your "Subwoofer or exhaust?" question. If you're asking if I also have an aftermarket exhaust, then yes: It's a Ford Performance by Borla Touring catback system. Very happy with it. It's a smidge louder at highway cruising speeds than I would like, but the Dynamat tames that a bit. However, the sound when I put my foot in it is freaking awesome. :headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikes2017gt

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
RE: The amp getting it's turn-on signal from input at the RCAs. Here's the manual; page 6 talks turn-on options.

http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mfg/9013/media_document/live_1/XD600_1v2_MAN.pdf?1398117828

This feature was one of the reasons I bought this amp. Up to a few years ago, I used to have "stock" on amps of all vintages and wattages from the various systems I had in vehicles throughout the years. If I still had any of them, I'd have used it in order to save money, and would've had to find a normal T.O. signal. I got rid of all my amps and wiring and stuff b/c "I was done with car audio" b/c stock systems had improved to the point where I was "happy enough" with them to not need a big old sub box taking up the trunk. I also had not really been in love with any vehicles I've had recently...until I bought my Mustang. :ford:

Ecoboost_Jim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium, Race Red, manual
Not sure on your "Subwoofer or exhaust?" question.
Mike, It's all about the my budget. I have to choose between the subwoofer and amp or an exhaust system. U have to decide which "sound" is most important!!
Sponsored