Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
Not a big deal. The current 3 yr old car is slower, too. Doesn't seem to impact sales at all. People love these S550s.

I am sure with the 10sp it will be a very close race between a GT and 6G SS. Not that it matters anyway.
Psssst: Camaro offers the 10spd now too. :doh:

If anyone thinks the new 5.0 is getting ONLY a new fuel delivery system to go with the slight displacement increase, a have a camaro I'd like to sell you.
Wait...did you mean compression increase? Otherwise, I don't think many folks have been talking about an displacement increase and this could be new information. Would they still call it the "5.0L"?

I've always thought it should come with a slightly more aggressive tune.
Most on this forum would seemingly argue for a less aggressive tune if it somehow meant more sales. :lol:

Personally, I don't get a check from Ford based on sales numbers, I don't believe there's even much, (if any) Ford stock in my mutual fund currently...so I'm just hoping that the '18 revision is quicker, better handling car than the competition. It's already better looking and nicer to live with...but so is an Audi or an Infiniti. I just want the best muscle/pony hotrod that my ~$40k toy allowance will provide.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Wait...did you mean compression increase? Otherwise, I don't think many folks have been talking about an displacement increase and this could be new information. Would they still call it the "5.0L"?
I believe it was [MENTION=6363]Topnotch[/MENTION] who mentioned the capacity is increasing very slightly. I can't recall the exact details, but the current 5.0 is actually a 4.95-something.....and the new one is 5.03-something. I assume this is to do with the new spray bore technology?

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I believe it was @Topnotch who mentioned the capacity is increasing very slightly. I can't recall the exact details, but the current 5.0 is actually a 4.95-something.....and the new one is 5.03-something. I assume this is to do with the new spray bore technology?
The new Chief Engineer on the Mustang stated in that one interview the bore size has increased over the 15-17 5.0.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
If anyone thinks the new 5.0 is getting ONLY a new fuel delivery system to go with the slight displacement increase, a have a camaro I'd like to sell you.
It's already been listed that it's getting new parts aside from the block. Doesn't really mean a whole lot as far is performance gains (meaning HUGE power increase, probably leaning towards more power efficiency). It's just a revision of the Coyote block still. Gen 1 coyote VS Gen 2 coyote got a pretty big overhaul as well.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Psssst: Camaro offers the 10spd now too. :doh:

Most on this forum would seemingly argue for a less aggressive tune if it somehow meant more sales. :lol:

Personally, I don't get a check from Ford based on sales numbers, I don't believe there's even much, (if any) Ford stock in my mutual fund currently...so I'm just hoping that the '18 revision is quicker, better handling car than the competition. It's already better looking and nicer to live with...but so is an Audi or an Infiniti. I just want the best muscle/pony hotrod that my ~$40k toy allowance will provide.
Only the ZL1 is getting the A10 so far.

It's still a 5.0 since 4.951 (current displacement) rounds up to 5.0L and the new 5.03 rounds down.

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only the ZL1 is getting the A10 so far.

It's still a 5.0 since 4.951 (current displacement) rounds up to 5.0L and the new 5.03 rounds down.
You're right but it's all but a given that the SS will have it for '19 if not '18. As we all know, it was co-developed between Ford and Chebby.

Even then, is it really going to be quicker than the current ZF 8spd? probably not much.

Good point about the displacement. It has always been rounded anyway.

EDIT: Just a thought: I wonder if part of the co-development deal specifically included not revealing this unit for competing models at the same time! The Camaro SS has a big enough performance advantage over the GT that they're probably fine with giving that one to Ford...and Ford currently doesn't offer a Mustang in the price bracket where the ZL-1 sits (GT350R not withstanding)...so no competition worries there either. Mustang GT needed the performance, Chevy needed the press to elevate the status of their ailing pony car.

Last edited:

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The Chevy is a paper weight. It looks good on paper, until you have to drive it.

Might as well drive around in a submarine, because that is about all you can see. Couldn't believe how dangerous that car is to drive. Coming from BMW visibility seating position, and looking out of that Camaro had my spider senses tingling.

If you are going to buy a Chevy, make it a vette, and save lives. As the Camaros ergonomics & visibility is a joke among the industry.

Jenkins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Car
The Chevy is a paper weight. It looks good on paper, until you have to drive it.

Might as well drive around in a submarine, because that is about all you can see. Couldn't believe how dangerous that car is to drive. Coming from BMW visibility seating position, and looking out of that Camaro had my spider senses tingling.

If you are going to buy a Chevy, make it a vette, and save lives. As the Camaros ergonomics & visibility is a joke among the industry.
It's really not that bad. I can say its different but it took me all of 5 minutes to get used to the submarine feel. People act like driving a Camaro is similar to driving around blind folded.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Wait...what?
Please stop pulling our leg and go drive one.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
browses every week for power numbers
leaves disappointed :(

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
It's really not that bad. I can say its different but it took me all of 5 minutes to get used to the submarine feel. People act like driving a Camaro is similar to driving around blind folded.
I sold a 2011 SS because of it ergonomics and blind spots. IT REALLY IS THAT BAD!

Jenkins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Car

I sold a 2011 SS because of it ergonomics and blind spots. IT REALLY IS THAT BAD!
Fair enough. My experience was obviously different but I don't believe it's fair to label the car undrivable due to one perspective. However, just because I didn't have any issues doesn't mean others won't have problems.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
...so I'm just hoping that the '18 revision is quicker, better handling car than the competition. It's already better looking and nicer to live with...but so is an Audi or an Infiniti. I just want the best muscle/pony hotrod that my ~$40k toy allowance will provide.
Everyone has their priorities, but I think this statement sums up what I think the reality is for these cars. Lots of people prefer an Audi or Infiniti because they are willing to give up performance for other features. To me, that's true of every car, so it's a matter of priorities, and for most people, performance always loses out to something.

Camaro owners could get more performance if they stripped out the sound deadening, the A/C, stereo, etc., but the vast majority don't because they're willing to give up that little extra performance for those niceties. Point being, if performance was their only criteria, they'd do that, and they don't.

I think of the Mustang the same way - the performance difference isn't tremendous, but in trade you get a better looking car (subjectively, of course), a more comfortable car, a car with better visibility, and is just more livable in general, along with more after-market support. I think a lot of people feel that's a worthwhile trade.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everyone has their priorities, but I think this statement sums up what I think the reality is for these cars. Lots of people prefer an Audi or Infiniti because they are willing to give up performance for other features. To me, that's true of every car, so it's a matter of priorities, and for most people, performance always loses out to something.

Camaro owners could get more performance if they stripped out the sound deadening, the A/C, stereo, etc., but the vast majority don't because they're willing to give up that little extra performance for those niceties. Point being, if performance was their only criteria, they'd do that, and they don't.

I think of the Mustang the same way - the performance difference isn't tremendous, but in trade you get a better looking car (subjectively, of course), a more comfortable car, a car with better visibility, and is just more livable in general, along with more after-market support. I think a lot of people feel that's a worthwhile trade.
I agree with pretty much everything you've said here. Everyone has their priority list but weighting of these priorities is not straight arithmetic.

Even if someone's top priority is performance, they may also strongly value looks, noise suppression, purchase price, resale value, etc. all of which may add up to outweigh the top priority and cause someone to buy a slower car.

Performance is my top priority but I just can't drive an Arial Atom or a Factory Five Cobra, either of which could be built for not much more than the cost of a new GTPP and it would be WAY faster. Building up my old Dart to handle like a modern car and run 11s certainly could be done for less than $40k...but it's not safe, pollutes like hell, would get 10mpg and it would rust away instantly if I ever had to drive it in the winter.

So yeah...for me, I am assuming a 2018 model year car will have a certain level of refinement, safety and practicality. Pony cars will have a certain layout and aggressive coupe looks. Nicely equipped models will be obtainable for around $40k. Either one will be relatively reliable for 100+k miles, even with enthusiastic hooning, etc.

Given those established points....give me the hottest hotrod I can get.
Sponsored