Sponsored

Evaporator Core Failure

15StangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Mustang Ecoboost
Hey guys, so my a/c went out. So i took it to the dealer and they told me that the evaporator core was leaking. Took them 2 days to replace it, so when i went to get the car, i get in, blast the a/c and it barely comes out, i mean barely. Its cold as shit but it barely comes out. So i started playing with the settings and when i select the a/c to come out through the floor its blasting, i mean i can feel it coming up my pant legs. I go to my service advisor and let them know, they call the tech out and they told me that the actuation arms on the a/c went out. I personally think its a crock of shit, i think he installed it backwards or something cuz what should be coming out through the main vents is coming out through the floor vents. this is frustrating, especially in florida. Anyone ever had their a/c actuator go out? Is this even an actual part?:frusty:
Sponsored

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
You probably had yours done under warranty, but I'm curious how expensive the core would be to replace. Did they have to tear the dash apart? How many labor hours? My warranty is nearing the end and I am reading that a lot of people have this problem. I don't have it yet though.

OP
OP
15StangEB

15StangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They told me 9 hours but they had it for 2 days. And I'm literally 2000 miles away from warranty so i dodged a bullet on that one. And yes, they have to pull the whole dash out. I was terrified that they were gonna mess something up and when i get there......its messed up.:tsk:

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I looked up the part online and all I see is an "evaporator core case" which is around $500

Yikes....that's over a thousand dollar repair! :O

OP
OP
15StangEB

15StangEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yup, thats it. hope it goes out before ur warranty runs out.

Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
But, good grief, an AC system in a car should work for more than 36K miles without forcing people to buy extended warranties. In some cases, the evap has failed in just a few thousand miles. It is really is a defective part/design that Ford should cover til the end of the powertrain warranty.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
But, good grief, an AC system in a car should work for more than 36K miles without forcing people to buy extended warranties. In some cases, the evap has failed in just a few thousand miles. It is really is a defective part/design that Ford should cover til the end of the powertrain warranty.
I hear ya, and it's obvious there is a major defect in the part causing the failures. But the AC system isn't part of the power train, so Ford sticks to their guns on the defined warranty. It's one of my biggest concerns if I keep this car a long time.

Only thing owners could do is start a class action lawsuit in hopes that Ford would extend the warranty well beyond the normal factory warranty.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
I hear ya, and it's obvious there is a major defect in the part causing the failures. But the AC system isn't part of the power train, so Ford sticks to their guns on the defined warranty. It's one of my biggest concerns if I keep this car a long time.

Only thing owners could do is start a class action lawsuit in hopes that Ford would extend the warranty well beyond the normal factory warranty.
There are no grounds for a class action lawsuit when a failure occurs under warranty and is covered by the manufacturer. If a specific failure occurs consistently on a significant amount of vehicles that are out of warranty and the customers pays for the repairs, then a class action lawsuit can be considered.

The bottom line is if there was an issue identified with evaporators on S550s that caused them to fail soon after being put into service, the manufacturer would have addressed the issue through a part redesign/quality control. An evaporator is not a wear and tear part; it either is defective or it's not. Therefore, if your evaporator failed and was replaced, it most likely not going to fail again. And if you have significant mileage (36K+) without a failure, one is not likely to occur.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
There are no grounds for a class action lawsuit when a failure occurs under warranty and is covered by the manufacturer. If a specific failure occurs consistently on a significant amount of vehicles that are out of warranty and the customers pays for the repairs, then a class action lawsuit can be considered.

The bottom line is if there was an issue identified with evaporators on S550s that caused them to fail soon after being put into service, the manufacturer would have addressed the issue through a part redesign/quality control. An evaporator is not a wear and tear part; it either is defective or it's not. Therefore, if your evaporator failed and was replaced, it most likely not going to fail again. And if you have significant mileage (36K+) without a failure, one is not likely to occur.
Ford changed the part number of the evaporator, so the design has been changed ... obviously for a reason. Ford knows there's a problem with them. There have been way more than normal instances of just the members here reporting failed evaporators. I doubt the S197 had AC evaporators failing left and right like we've seen on the S550.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Our AC should not be having issues this early and this many people period! Interested to hear fordtechones response on the part change.

BoosTang23T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Hey guys, so my a/c went out. So i took it to the dealer and they told me that the evaporator core was leaking. Took them 2 days to replace it, so when i went to get the car, i get in, blast the a/c and it barely comes out, i mean barely. Its cold as shit but it barely comes out. So i started playing with the settings and when i select the a/c to come out through the floor its blasting, i mean i can feel it coming up my pant legs. I go to my service advisor and let them know, they call the tech out and they told me that the actuation arms on the a/c went out. I personally think its a crock of shit, i think he installed it backwards or something cuz what should be coming out through the main vents is coming out through the floor vents. this is frustrating, especially in florida. Anyone ever had their a/c actuator go out? Is this even an actual part?:frusty:
I had the same problem at 22K miles. Warranty covered it. Unlike your added issues, mine came out fine. No problems so far. My issue happened after waiting for a friend for 1 hour outside in the parking lot. Dumb me had the AC going while car on idle. After that, the AC went out with a horrible smell and no cold AC. Glad his happened before my warranty went out.

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
My ac went out last week and I dropped the car off this morning for repair. I'm guessing it's the same issue. Only 10k miles on the car.

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Known problem. Mine went out and was replaced in a day

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ford changed the part number of the evaporator, so the design has been changed ... obviously for a reason..
Does anyone know the date Ford started building the cars with the revised evaporator?
Sponsored