Sponsored

Engine starts after submerged in water...

Rca4697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
So last night I was driving on the main road and rain became very strong that caused floods all over. I passed a few intersections that I couldn't get out of that had about at least 12" of water depth. On the third one probably it was higher and I had no choice to go thru. Half way thru my car stalled and I barely made it across the intersection. I was stuck there for a long time. Lights were on but car would not start. After like 30-40 min I tried for the third time and car turned on slowly but it went back to normal. I turned the car on and off and all good. I was able to drive it home later when all the chaos was over and this morning I was able to turn it on and leave it on for at least 15 minutes. Only thing I noticed was that there seemed to be some white smoke coming out of the exhaust. (I have MBRP race catback and mishimoto intake and full race Ic)

should I be worried of any water damage?
Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Did you open the AIC and see if the air filter was wet? If it was...I would replace the filter or at least air dry it...don't force compressed air through it. Remove any water that you find after the filter has been pulled.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Most likely the water shorted the electronics and that is why it stalled. But i would change the oil and put at least a couple of bottles of dry gas in the tank just to be safe.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Your lucky to not had the engine hydrolocked!
It would be quite a feat to hydrolock an ecoboost motor.
The water would need to get past the intake, into the turbo, through the intercooler, then up into the engine.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
It would be quite a feat to hydrolock an ecoboost motor.
The water would need to get past the intake, into the turbo, through the intercooler, then up into the engine.
Yeah "Hydrolock" guy there has no idea what he's talking about.

RIBS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red
Going that deep in water will cause problems later...you probably got water in body panels not normally exposed to water, in bearings and brake parts, in electrical connections, sound deadening materials. I suspect weird electrical gremlins are in your future.

trbstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
87 5.0 LX, 16 PP GT Premium
Also check the padding below the carpet if you ever go through water. I drove through about 8-10" water a few times in my other cars and always got water in my car through the floor. Don't know how well sealed the new ones are, but I would check it before it starts to smell.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
trade it for a 5.0
Sponsored