10.2" Horizontal display Android 4.4.2 touch screen radio

jpr1957

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Auto
Thanks for the info. I hope mine works when I power it up again.

I did remove that center cover on the dash. It put up a fight. I though if I broke it I could just buy a replacement. Nothing broke but it hit the windshield when it came loose. Two blue clips came off. I took the other two blue clips off it so I can put it in place but it is easy to remove it if I have to.

The installation video for the Rosen 8-inch screen unit says to put the "ground plate" that comes with it under the GPS antenna. The Kenwood unit I installed in my F150 came with a small, thin steel plate with foam tape on it to stick to the dash and the magnetic GPS antenna to stick to that. I did some searching of the internet and found it is recommended to have a small metal "ground plate" under the GPS antenna. I found others that said it wasn't necessary. I might try putting a metal plate under it but I expect to get a signal without it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Thanks for the info. I hope mine works when I power it up again.

I did remove that center cover on the dash. It put up a fight. I though if I broke it I could just buy a replacement. Nothing broke but it hit the windshield when it came loose. Two blue clips came off. I took the other two blue clips off it so I can put it in place but it is easy to remove it if I have to.

The installation video for the Rosen 8-inch screen unit says to put the "ground plate" that comes with it under the GPS antenna. The Kenwood unit I installed in my F150 came with a small, thin steel plate with foam tape on it to stick to the dash and the magnetic GPS antenna to stick to that. I did some searching of the internet and found it is recommended to have a small metal "ground plate" under the GPS antenna. I found others that said it wasn't necessary. I might try putting a metal plate under it but I expect to get a signal without it.
Hmmm...are you saying a metal plate under the antenna box that is grounded to the frame? Or just put a metal plate under it?

jpr1957

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Auto
They call it a "grounding plate" but it doesn't connect to the car ground. It's just a thin steel plate a little bit larger than the antenna. I'll try to find some pictures and more info on this. The one that came with the Kenwood was big enough to put the GPS and SiriusXM antennas on it. I didn't want to stick it to the top of the dash at the base of the window so it is just sitting there. It stays there with the two cables going through a vent opening to the head unit.

In the You Tube video "Mustang Install 4" to 8" In Car Upgrade" by Jesse at OEMRadio Solutions he just sticks the GPS antenna to the plastic dash frame under the cover panel. He sells Ford factory parts to do an upgrade to the 8-inch screen Sync 3 with navigation. I'm sure it works with out a grounding plate.

Last edited:

Fray_s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang S550 V6
So guys, anyone has ANY regrets of buying this unit? Even though Seicane havent been very responsive?

jpr1957

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Auto
So guys, anyone has ANY regrets of buying this unit? Even though Seicane havent been very responsive?
My only regret is that I connected the GPS antenna to the jack shown in a picture on the Seicane web site. IT IS WRONG!.

When I connected the radio antenna to the other jack and it didn't work I new something was not right. I looked at one of Shawn's videos and he pointed to the one that I had been connecting the GPS to as the jack to connect the radio antenna to.

It only took about 30 minutes to remove everything, swap the antenna connections and put everything back. I now have GPS and radio!!! I also have a working factory front USB jack by using the supplied adapter. Oh yeah!!!

Looking at the antenna connectors and the jacks it is obvious which one goes where. I was in a hurry and trusted the picture on the Seicane web site. It doesn't have the correct jack for the GPS in that picture. The one it points to for the GPS is correct for the radio.

So now everything works as far as I can tell. I'm very happy now and I'm very satisfied with the Seicane unit.

My only complaint is that the back up camera is still zoomed in. The first time I powered up the unit is was a wide angle view for a split second and then zoomed in and has stayed there. I'm gong to keep trying to fix that.

I will start downloading apps that I want such as screen mirroring of my phone and Google maps/naviation. I don't like the look of the IGO navigation. I also need to figure out how to set up the Bluetooth on the Torque app. It looks complicated.

I still need to do something with the microphone. I haven't routed it anywhere. I would like to try and tap into the factory mic.

I have been taking a bunch of pictures and will post them in messages showing what I did as time allows.

Sponsored

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
[MENTION=16819]Roh92cp[/MENTION] can you tell me what options you picked at the Seicane website when you ordered? I'm a little confused on the options listed.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
[MENTION=16819]Roh92cp[/MENTION] can you tell me what options you picked at the Seicane website when you ordered? I'm a little confused on the options listed.
I didn't order anything extra with it. It comes with everything you need to connect all the OE options plus a USB to andriod phone coversion plug. You can just order the unit as is and select of course the express shipping for a couple dollars more.

jpr1957

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Auto
The only option I ordered was the OBD II Bluetooth adapter. It sends information to the head unit for displaying live engine data and diagnostic codes in the Torque app. A picture of it is below. I hope to get that working this weekend.

The ATSC Digital TV adapter is to watch over-the-air TV programs. The DAB+ adapter is for Digital Audio Broadcast Plus. Forty-four countries broadcast DAB+. The United States is not one of them so I passed on that one too. The DVR is a dash camera for recording the road ahead while driving. The External 3G Module is for receiving data like cell phone. I didn't want pay for that service. I'm using my smartphone as a mobile hot spot to send data to the Seicane unit. Our cars already have a back up camera that can be connected to the unit. I didn't see the need for the $99.99 TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) as we already have that system built into our cars.
Seicane 06.jpg

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored
OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
So just wanted to update to this on known issues. I got some responses and question to my YouTube instal videos and so far 2 others aside from have poor Bluetooth sound quality and non functioning voice command steering wheel control. It also seems like everyone so far has a zoomed in backup camera displayed.

5.0_SD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Dang, funny (or not) how it seems with all these systems there is at least one thing that doesn't work right. I can deal with no voice commands and I usually play my music from a usb stick since I don't want all that taking up space on my phone...but the zoomed in back up camera is very annoying. [MENTION=16819]Roh92cp[/MENTION] has Seicane been responsive to what you've told them about the known issues?

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Seicane is just a reselling website. They're just like all the others. Their only goal is to sell, not support. I hope you guys get it all worked out on this thing, it's a cool little unit! (Of course I like the Tesla unit better)

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Dang, funny (or not) how it seems with all these systems there is at least one thing that doesn't work right. I can deal with no voice commands and I usually play my music from a usb stick since I don't want all that taking up space on my phone...but the zoomed in back up camera is very annoying. [MENTION=16819]Roh92cp[/MENTION] has Seicane been responsive to what you've told them about the known issues?
Sorry to say but it's true they have no real commitment or ability it looks like to provide after sales service. If you have an issue you will only responses from them that a designed as stall tactics. Like for 3 weeks now I've been asking about why I have poor Bluetooth no voice commands and they response evertime please be patient our engineers are looking into it. :doh:

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Sorry to say but it's true they have no real commitment or ability it looks like to provide after sales service. If you have an issue you will only responses from them that a designed as stall tactics. Like for 3 weeks now I've been asking about why I have poor Bluetooth no voice commands and they response evertime please be patient our engineers are looking into it. :doh:

Skip the Seicane website. Start Googling to the end of the earth and you'll find that the unit is available in other places (Like globalsources.com) That is a good starting point for direct-to-supplier contact, and follow it down the rabbit hole. Eventually, you will end up with a manufacturer who you can contact directly (likely in Chinese) for replacement parts, but chances are it's an integrated chip, you're kinda S.O.L. It was the initial review of this unit from another member last year who mentioned the sound quality being so bad over BT that kept me away from the unit.

The good news is, that it's running on Android what they often call "Xin'an Zhuo" with the CANBUS integration, so the good news is, you probably have similar system apps as the Tesla unit for things like the backup camera. This is also why I bought an extra unit and sent it to someone who has Android development experience, and that's why the THU has come so far.

Poke around in the System Apps, and see if there's anything called "EventCenter" running. If you want to get real brave, root it the same way we did ours, and check out the System\Apps folder for a list of APK's, and if nothing else, someone with AOS experience can help with the camera issue.

Bluetooth on the other hand, is hardware related, so you may be out of luck there.

If anyone does root it, post a screenshot of the System\Apps folder, and I'll see what I can chime in with.
Sponsored